Pricing is Crazy!

Increasing prices are one thing, but how they are structured are another. We booked on May 3 for Symphony next year. I just looked now (as I often do) and the price went up $545 net (we got $125 OBC)......the worst part of the increase was the difference in the upcharge for a refundable deposit. We paid $192 (there are 2 of us). Today's pricing shows $469.00 per cabin and loss of the OBC. Yup, that is not a typo on my part---the refundable deposit charge went up 244%. This is just plain unconscionable!

It might seem unconscionable but it’s all about supply and demand. RCI, like any company will maximize their profits by asking for the highest price they think people will pay. If people aren’t willing to pay that price, you can bet the price will go back down.

Why? If you had a business and people were willing to pay a 244% mark up would you not do it?

Actually Biker, who usually does make sense, I am not questioning a 244% markup. What I am calling unconscionable is that large of an increase all at one time. I am sure you would be hard pressed to find that anywhere.

It might seem unconscionable but it’s all about supply and demand. RCI, like any company will maximize their profits by asking for the highest price they think people will pay. If people aren’t willing to pay that price, you can bet the price will go back down.

Very true Gary, but see my reply to Biker above.

Very true Gary, but see my reply to Biker above.

Yes, I agree that is an unusually big increase. I’ve personally not seen that steep of an increase but I wouldn’t be surprised if others have.

Actually Biker, who usually does make sense, I am not questioning a 244% markup. What I am calling unconscionable is that large of an increase all at one time. I am sure you would be hard pressed to find that anywhere.

There are two ways one can look at this though. The way you've explained above or that you got a smoking deal at 244% below current pricing. Meaning that perhaps your pricing was actually understated and then corrected. I say this because I booked a GS at JS pricing and it only lasted 10 hours before it was caught and corrected. It happens.. often.

There are two ways one can look at this though. The way you've explained above or that you got a smoking deal at 244% below current pricing. Meaning that perhaps your pricing was actually understated and then corrected. I say this because I booked a GS at JS pricing and it only lasted 10 hours before it was caught and corrected. It happens.. often.

Kool. Happened to me also. Doing a 12nite Repo, website accidentally gave me a 2bd/2BA at 50% off 1st passenger and 100% off 2nd. Got it for less then the price of an inside room. Of course royal corrected website same day, was talked about on CC. But they never caught mine and Sailed cheap in 2016...

Seems to me that RCI appears desperate to secure cash without the chance of having to pay it back. Why else would the company keep increasing the premium for refundable deposits to discourage these types of bookings.?

Kool. Happened to me also. Doing a 12nite Repo, website accidentally gave me a 2bd/2BA at 50% off 1st passenger and 100% off 2nd. Got it for less then the price of an inside room. Of course royal corrected website same day, was talked about on CC. But they never caught mine and Sailed cheap in 2016...

Good one- not quite as good but for a short time last year when Royal changed the "sale" from 30/30 to 60% off the second quest for a few hours early in the morning they had forgotten to take the 30% off the first guest so you got 30% off the first person and 60% off the second. It got fixed before 9am

You say RCI never caught it but I wonder if they’re obligated to honor the website price despite the mistake. If one purchases a cabin at an incorrectly reduced price, it might be considered a binding contract and there’s nothing they can do about it. I’m curious to know whether that’s the case.

You say RCI never caught it but I wonder if they’re obligated to honor the website price despite the mistake. If one purchases a cabin at an incorrectly reduced price, it might be considered a binding contract and there’s nothing they can do about it. I’m curious to know whether that’s the case.

I don't remember the details but there was some kind of crazy low pricing error a year or two ago and Royal did not honor the pricing

Great point. Pretty sure that wasn't the case this time, but thanks for making me feel good:) about my booking!😀

What I am calling unconscionable is that large of an increase all at one time.

Again, why does make any difference ? Either the increase or original price is a mistake or RCI realized they are leaving a lot of money on the table. Not sure one should worry about how RCI arrived at the price nor the manner or speed with which it got there. Would you somehow feel better about it if half the increase happened today and the rest tomorrow?

Good one- not quite as good but for a short time last year when Royal changed the "sale" from 30/30 to 60% off the second quest for a few hours early in the morning they had forgotten to take the 30% off the first guest so you got 30% off the first person and 60% off the second. It got fixed before 9am
The good old days. [emoji6] [emoji2]

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

There is "fine print" that says that they do not have to honor website mistakes.

Some of you probably remember the "famous" Promenade cabin pricing on the Freedom Halloween cruise in 2014.

Was that the one where they were priced at something like $369 instead of $639? They honored those didn't they?

Was that the one where they were priced at something like $369 instead of $639? They honored those didn't they?

They honored the price. It was for the week after my already booked cruise. Turned it into a back to back. Always wanted to do that.

They honored the price. It was for the week after my already booked cruise. Turned it into a back to back. Always wanted to do that.

Ken found a Christmas week cruise on the Freedom in 2014 that we took. $900 total for 2 for a D2 balcony and then we got $400 OBC for a shortened port stop. Assume that the pricing was a mistake but they honored it.

I don't remember the story on the one that I had read about that did not get honored a couple of years ago.