Silly statement from NCL rep

happyscmom

Can’t stand it when people get upset when they don’t have proper grammar words,wording, inflection blah blah blah sent back to them. Gotta say, just stop it. Cut it out already, focus on something else. Leave the customer service reps who make under $12/hr and can’t afford a cruise alone already!

Oh my gosh people! I really wish that I could delete this thread. As I’ve said over and over, I understand the rules and I am happy! My point was that the language of compensation was silly. I used that word! I am NOT UNHAPPY. Are all people on this board just looking to get offended for NCL? I did not say that I was mad or that they broke the rules or anything. I said the word COMPENSATION was SILLY!

I agree with you, their choice of wording leaves a little to be desired, but they are not alone. Many businesses use wording I think is, to put it mildly, SILLY. Like when one business recently offered me a "gift" for only $19.99. As I recall I used a word a little stronger than SILLY. I also agree that you had every right to post this thread. Seems some folks get a little snarky for any SILLY reason

I would consider it compensation as you are getting something you didn’t pay for. Regardless of a price drop, you did not pay for a balcony and they are under no obligation to upgrade you after final payment.

Speaking of the word silly, I find it silly every time this topic comes up. Prices drop all the time for many things that one would never even contemplate trying to get a refund or some other type of compensation. Airlines are a very good example of that. Prices can fluctuate all the time and when the price goes down for a flight you already paid for do you expect to be able to get a refund or upgrade? Why do people think that same concept doesn’t apply for a cruise. Same goes for hotels etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP said she wasn't unhappy. If I paid a certain amount, then found that a better room was going for that same amount, I'd be unhappy. OP's only comment was that she thought it was silly to call it a compensation. I happen to agree. Yes, they were under no obligation to upgrade her, but if there were rooms available, and she had paid that amount, why shouldn't they? That's what's called customer service and helps to ensure return customers. The better word may have been accommodation. But I think her point was that she didn't see it as a compensation, since she had paid what was the going price for that upgraded room. Let the flamers reply, lol.

OP said she wasn't unhappy. If I paid a certain amount, then found that a better room was going for that same amount, I'd be unhappy. OP's only comment was that she thought it was silly to call it a compensation. I happen to agree. Yes, they were under no obligation to upgrade her, but if there were rooms available, and she had paid that amount, why shouldn't they? That's what's called customer service and helps to ensure return customers. The better word may have been accommodation. But I think her point was that she didn't see it as a compensation, since she had paid what was the going price for that upgraded room. Let the flamers reply, lol.

No flame here. Just wondering if you read my post? I agree that the customer service aspect says that they should upgrade her however the reason they lowered the prices was to entice new people to book, not to upgrade everyone who notices the cheaper prices. Good for NCL agreeing to upgrade her but I see no problem for them calling it compensation. And yes, I do know the dictionary definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Moby0215

I know this, and I called it "SILLY," I didn't say that I was mad. I just think calling it compensation is dumb. They didn't compensate me. I've taken many, many, many cruises, and I've never had a problem with any line (RCL, MSC, Carnival, Princess, or NCL) with getting a room change after the final payment if the price dropped enough to have it the same price as another category. Though it is not required, it is pretty standard procedure.

There's always a chance that a $10 an hour phone rep might use the wrong word like "compensation" instead of "accommodation". Everyone knows that causes customers to run off to internet forums to report how "silly" they are.

Better yet, they could just say "no" for anyone after final payment. That wouldn't be "silly".

Oh my gosh people! I really wish that I could delete this thread. As I’ve said over and over, I understand the rules and I am happy! My point was that the language of compensation was silly. I used that word! I am NOT UNHAPPY. Are all people on this board just looking to get offended for NCL? I did not say that I was mad or that they broke the rules or anything. I said the word COMPENSATION was SILLY!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think people are getting a bit narked because although you say you are happy you still posted to complain about the phrasing used by a rep, when you got something that you were lucky to get.

To ask for an upgrade because the price has changed even though you're past final payment, then complain because you got it but somebody used the wrong terminology when telling you that the upgrade was going through, then posting it on CC. Now you're complaining about being flamed.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No, you're not unhappy. Just ungrateful and entitled. I do think your statement that you WILL call for another price drop/cabin upgrade IF price drops .... that is uncalled for.

I agree with previous poster ... you should have been full of 'pleases' and 'thank yous'.

Take your good fortune and please, pass it on/pay it forward. It does a body good.

I am cruising on the Sun June 29 - July 2. It is a short 3 night cruise because we are budgeting this summer! :(

However, the price keeps dropping since I booked the cruise. I looked last night, and the price that I paid for my porthole OV cabin is now the price for a balcony (exactly the same price). So, as I have done with other cruises, I called and asked to change to the balcony cabin. The rep had to ask her supervisor and came back to tell me that they agreed to the upgrade. She then said, "But, if the price changes again, you cannot change this room because of this COMPENSATION." I said, "what does that mean, 'compensation'?" She said that it was considered compensation to upgrade me and they were doing so because of my status with NCL. I told her that this isn't compensation because I paid the full amount of what is now the balcony price. She said that is considered compensation by NCL. I told her that if the price changed again I would certainly call back, but I appreciated her perspective.

I'm not sure how NCL is now defining the word compensation, but I find that pretty fun!

Please no flaming...we love NCL and have cruised with them 3 times (this will be 4) in the last two years, but this is just silliness.

sorry, not meant to flame, but I am not sure what your point is, You called, you got what you wanted, so just be happy. I don't see anything unusual about her comment. Maybe I am just not with it or something.

and to most, your statement is a bit silly. Who really pays that much attention to exactly how something is worded? the fact remains, you wanted an upgrade, you got it, you have been for warned it will not happen again if there is another drop and you are questioning the wording. There are many things one can post about, but this probably is one that seems silly to most reading it. I understand why you wish you could get it deleted.

Cruisegal415: there is nothing wrong with the OP asking for the upgrade, but I think you have missed the point: most of us are questioning why she would bother to post the misuse of a word in her opinion. To top it off, she starts her post by saying, no flaming please. She must have felt before posting her post was going to see like nik picking. That is how many of us see it.

Edited by newmexicoNita

O/P cruise is a month out, IMO should not make a difference if past final payment, if cabins are available and price has dropped NCL should be accomodating

With the bidding process in place it is not in their best interest to move anyone for free.

They could easily accept a bid on the balcony and bump another party into the newly vacated room for two upsell bids all after final.