Antarctic "sail by" cruises (not expeditions)

GeezerCouple

As I wrote in another post just now, we are considering reserving on our first Azamara cruise, one to Antarctica.

We loved Oceania, but haven't been on the smaller ships, which are very similar to the Azamara ships.

Can anyone comment on Azamara's Antarctica cruises?

We are looking for reports about a "sail by" cruise that spends at least a few days "up front and personal" with the beauty of Antarctica.

We already have information about the expedition-type cruises to Antarctica, and for several personal reasons, we may not be able to take advantage of those.

We've been eager to give Azamara a try, so this might be a good chance for to enjoy Antarctica, and to experience Azamara.

Many thanks!

GC

Hi, I am booked on the Pursuit for January Antarctica cruise. This will be my 4th drive by cruise. The previous three were on Princess and Holland America. Believe me you will be up close and personal with icebergs, wildlife and incredible scenery. I am really excited to do this itinerary again on a small ship. We saw dozens of whales, hundreds of penguins, seals and incredible bird life. Can you tell I'm looking forward to going back? It may only be a "drive by," but it is amazing.

Hi, I am booked on the Pursuit for January Antarctica cruise. This will be my 4th drive by cruise. The previous three were on Princess and Holland America. Believe me you will be up close and personal with icebergs, wildlife and incredible scenery. I am really excited to do this itinerary again on a small ship. We saw dozens of whales, hundreds of penguins, seals and incredible bird life. Can you tell I'm looking forward to going back? It may only be a "drive by," but it is amazing.

Thanks.

We were going to do a "round the tip" cruise, including Chilean Fjords, etc., and then... we saw some photos of a "drive by" cruise on HAL. Wow!

We had no idea that the ships could/would get so close.

So now the question is whether to do a "sail by" or an excursion style.

I was worried about whether I'd have trouble with the excursions. If DH is really eager to do some, then we'll do that, and I'll wait on board, which should also be just beautiful. But if he isn't that eager, then...

... we just had no idea that these "sail by" cruises were anything like this :)

We'll be following your Roll Call in terms of planning, and also in case anyone posts during, and of course, any post-cruise reviews.

We started "real" vacations late, unfortunately. So now we are facing "so many destinations, so little time..."

Thanks for the feedback.

GC

We did a drive by on Azamara Quest in 2013 and really enjoyed it. Azamara had naturalists on board who gave interesting talks and who in key wildlife areas were on deck spotting and identifying the birds, whales etc we saw. Remember this is Mother Nature and she may not cooperate, the cruise before us saw nothing but we were blessed with abundant sightings. We had whales bubble fishing beside the ship, penguins floating by on icebergs, seals and numerous types of birds including albatross and frigate birds. The sea can be unpredictable so be prepared for rough times and perhaps not being able to make ports. We missed Ushuaia and Cape Horn due to winds and rough seas. It is a magical experience however you decide to do it, enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m sure a sail by is nice but if one can physically do an expedition type Antarctica cruise I would do that. I cancelled a sail by on Celebrity when I found out we wouldn’t land but hopefully will book an expedition type cruise to Antarctica in the future . I heard the crew is very helpful in helping one board and get off the panga boats .

I can only add that if you are capable, physically and financially (although the gap is not as steep with AZ as the mainstream lines), do an excursion.

Although you will take in the beauty of the continent on a drive-by, there is nothing to compare to the landings that we did (13 while on the continent). Surrounded by thousands of curious penguins. Watching natural life--and death--all around you. Visiting with folks who spend the entire summer in Antarctica in the research stations. Landing on an ice floe never before touched by a human. Watching the birth of a penguin while the parents dutifully watched over it. Walking on a glacier while Antarctic peaks rise into the mist all around you.

In our 70+ cruises (and hundreds of total trips) nothing else compares. But it has to work for you personally for it to make sense.

I would agree that an expedition is better but, if like I do, you have health issues the sail by was the only opportunity for us to experience Antarctica

Agreed. Although they can do things to help you, it does require a fairly high level of physical fitness to totally enjoy it. The drive by solves that problem.

I did an expedition cruise with Hurtiigruten to Antarctica. We had to present a doctor's letter to a nurse/doctor at check in. DW passed on some landings.

If you are able, we recommend it.

I was doing some reading in order to learn about the ecological impacts of tourism there. The handful of articles I read mentioned that the tourism is being managed well. Ships are required to use use a lighter grade fuel which is less damaging should it spill. I learned that ships carrying more than 500 passengers can only do a cruise by, no landings.

I was doing some reading in order to learn about the ecological impacts of tourism there. The handful of articles I read mentioned that the tourism is being managed well. Ships are required to use use a lighter grade fuel which is less damaging should it spill. I learned that ships carrying more than 500 passengers can only do a cruise by, no landings.

We were told that there is a maximum of 500, including crew. Our ship had 237 passengers plus crew. Ships coordinate with each other such that we never saw another ship during landings.

We were told that there is a maximum of 500, including crew. Our ship had 237 passengers plus crew. Ships coordinate with each other such that we never saw another ship during landings.

Actually the rule as applied to our expedition cruise to Antarctica is that no more than 100 including crew can be ashore at any time. Believe we had about 400 pax on board and 4 color groups so 4 groups of up to 100 each at a time. Crew was allowed to join in as long as we didn't exceed 100 on shore at any time. With delays due to weather and other issues, the 4 groups took anywhere from 5 to 8 hours each day we went ashore. 500 under the 100 persons on shore at a time would be pushing the envelope but, not against the rules.

Thanks all... this is very helpful.

We are familiar with the vagaries of Parent Nature.

Two months ago, we were in Norway with Hurtigruten on an Astronomy package cruise, in search of Northern Lights. We had bad weather at first... many snow squalls, but worse was the almost non-stop full cloudy skies.

But the scenery was beautiful, and we were happy campers anyway.

We did get that "faint gray haze" "lights" once, and then we got a rather unimpressive fuller sky, and we all convinced ourselves that we had been very lucky, etc.

Then we learned that there was an unexpected solar storm sending lots of energy right towards Earth!

And... it was totally cloudy that night, too.

But it was a two-day affair, and the second night... SUCCESS :)

[To those who haven't seen the Lights, the dramatic almost day-glow colors in photos is typically NOT what the naked eye sees. At least we were prepared for that.]

So... we are prepared for "whatever we are fortunate to see"...

Also, as amazing as seeing wildlife would be, we are actually especially interested in the magnificence and majesty of the landscape/icebergs/etc.

But *sure*, a group of penguins floating by....!? :D

We won't have trouble getting physician clearances, but as with Tom47's DW, I might pass on some (or all?) excursions. I'm not sure how I feel about getting out of a zodiac type vehicle near shore. But if DH isn't really set on the excursions, then we'll just do a sail by, now that we know these types exist.

What about how a ship the size of Azamara's ships handles the Drake, if it's rough?

Or smaller expeditions ships? And those vary by size, too.

Would a larger ship (thinking maybe of HAL, but never sailed with them, yet) handle rough seas better?

We don't get seasick, but I could imagine myself getting scared in really rough seas.

(And suites tend to be on higher decks. Reminds us of the scene in Pretty Woman, where Richard Gere's character is afraid of heights, but he's in the "penthouse", and those aren't "on the first floor", etc...)

GC

We also had to abide by the 100 rule. We were lucky with the weather. The guides told us that we were the only cruise that season to make all the landings. Drake passage crossing was mild. Only rough weather was between S. Georgia and Falklands, for about 12 hrs. Not bad enough to cause nausea, but we used ginger pills and bonine.

Thanks all... this is very helpful.

We are familiar with the vagaries of Parent Nature.

Two months ago, we were in Norway with Hurtigruten on an Astronomy package cruise, in search of Northern Lights. We had bad weather at first... many snow squalls, but worse was the almost non-stop full cloudy skies.

But the scenery was beautiful, and we were happy campers anyway.

We did get that "faint gray haze" "lights" once, and then we got a rather unimpressive fuller sky, and we all convinced ourselves that we had been very lucky, etc.

Then we learned that there was an unexpected solar storm sending lots of energy right towards Earth!

And... it was totally cloudy that night, too.

But it was a two-day affair, and the second night... SUCCESS :)

[To those who haven't seen the Lights, the dramatic almost day-glow colors in photos is typically NOT what the naked eye sees. At least we were prepared for that.]

So... we are prepared for "whatever we are fortunate to see"...

Also, as amazing as seeing wildlife would be, we are actually especially interested in the magnificence and majesty of the landscape/icebergs/etc.

But *sure*, a group of penguins floating by....!? :D

We won't have trouble getting physician clearances, but as with Tom47's DW, I might pass on some (or all?) excursions. I'm not sure how I feel about getting out of a zodiac type vehicle near shore. But if DH isn't really set on the excursions, then we'll just do a sail by, now that we know these types exist.

What about how a ship the size of Azamara's ships handles the Drake, if it's rough?

Or smaller expeditions ships? And those vary by size, too.

Would a larger ship (thinking maybe of HAL, but never sailed with them, yet) handle rough seas better?

We don't get seasick, but I could imagine myself getting scared in really rough seas.

(And suites tend to be on higher decks. Reminds us of the scene in Pretty Woman, where Richard Gere's character is afraid of heights, but he's in the "penthouse", and those aren't "on the first floor", etc...)

GC

b08f67db25b6d3c30a7f8d9f372378c1.jpg

Lovely, it will have to be a drive by for me one day so these photos are really helpful - to be honest if I got that I would say I had "done Antarctica"

On the expedition ships you get a lot of help getting onto and off the zodiacs. I am old with bad knees and hips and did just fine. Once ashore you do not have to walk anywhere if you don't wish to. Just sit on the shore and watch the wildlife.

I took a walking stick for stability and was able to go everywhere.

The smaller the ship the better. We compromised size and price and went on Expedition the G Adventures. There were about 130 passengers but 20 of them kayaked many days. A few others would not get off each day so we never had to wait long to get ashore and I never felt rushed to get back to the ship.

It was a once in a lifetime trip for us which if I had time and money I would do again and again.

We did Antarctica + Falklands + So. Georgia in Jan. 2016 on the Silver Explorer. 114 on board, with the same number of staff. We made 2 landings a day everywhere. Wet landings are not that difficult, and the staff will help you. And, as another poster mentioned, you can do as much or as little hiking once on shore. I'm in my 70s and did nearly everything.

Antarctica rules are if you're 200 pax or under, there's many spots they can put you ashore. 201 - 500 and landing spots are greatly restricted. Over 500 and you can only do cruise-by's, as it has been mentioned. Having done a lot of landings, I feel it's the only way to go, if you're physically able. It was a fantastic experience! And, yes, it was our 7th continent.

I am sure a sail by in Antarctica would be beautiful.

We did an expedition 4 years ago, we are in our 60s and had no problem getting in or out of the zodiacs The hardest part was getting all the clothes on to go out to get in the zodiac. After you get to land you can sit and watch the wildlife.

We were told that if at any time someone wanted to go back to the ship, they had a zodiac available to take on or two of us back to the ship. We did need a note from our doctor but mainly because we were so far from medical care beyond the ship.

The scenery was just wonderful. If we have an opportunity our next trip down there would be a drive by, since we have landed and walked the continent.