Skagway train cancelled

Cruisinamber

Oh no!!! Praying for no more rain for awhile!!! We are scheduled to take the train on June 9th! Hope things are better by then. This is the only excursion I was worried about not booking through Princess. We are doing the bus/train combo to Emerald lake (8 hour tour). Our ship is in port until 8:30 pm. we should get back around 4:30 so we'll have a 4 hour buffer for mishaps but this is making me nervous!!!

This is the small article I found.

http://skagwaynews.com/2018/05/24/rockfall-leads-to-tentative-closure-at-railroad-dock/

My son and I did this train ride in 2004 and loved it

So worth the expense. I hope that they get it opened up for everyone to enjoy

Couple points:

From the article: “We’ve run a drone up there to assess the situation of the slide area, compare photos and see where we are at,” Rose said. “We are looking toward repairs we can have and we’ll go from there.”

For the anti-drone people, this is just one example on how one can be used not just to “stare at your neighbor’s daughter” like has been mentioned here.

Also the slide is in the downtown area. Should be much easier to clear out.

And as the above poster mention it is an awesome tour.

If you look at the Princess Excursion page for Skagway they have added a new tour called Railroad Building. It is $159 per person but you get to dress up in vintage clothing and with a period shovel or pick axe get to clear a section of railway just like they did back in 1898. Due note it is considered a strenuous excursion. And of course there will be an opportunity for shopping at the gift shop where you can buy your shovel or pick axe.

Been there, one that. When we were in Ecuador, taking the Devils Nose train from Riobamba, a landslide covered the tracks and all we passengers got ut and tried to clear the track with our bare hands. And it didn't cost us even a dollar extra.

(PS: We were unsuccessful, so we stayed two extra nights in Riobamba and took the next available train...which promptly derailed.)

If you look at the Princess Excursion page for Skagway they have added a new tour called Railroad Building. It is $159 per person but you get to dress up in vintage clothing and with a period shovel or pick axe get to clear a section of railway just like they did back in 1898. Due note it is considered a strenuous excursion. And of course there will be an opportunity for shopping at the gift shop where you can buy your shovel or pick axe.

You win!

Been there, one that. When we were in Ecuador, taking the Devils Nose train from Riobamba, a landslide covered the tracks and all we passengers got ut and tried to clear the track with our bare hands. And it didn't cost us even a dollar extra.

(PS: We were unsuccessful, so we stayed two extra nights in Riobamba and took the next available train...which promptly derailed.)

Good thing you weren't on a cruise.;p

We are scheduled to take the train June 29th. I am fully confident that it will happen our group decided to pick a plan B excursion now rather then try looking for one at the last second at the excursion desk. I would be disappointed if we could not go on the train but there is another choice just in case.

I emailed them this morning asking about our excursion on June 9th. We are scheduled to do the bus up and train down. I asked if train isn't running then could we do bus both ways.

See reply below.

Good Morning,

The train station has announced that they will be back up and running tomorrow morning.

If something does occur that affects your tour on the day of your arrival we will have a 'plan B' in place which normally involves offering our bus only tours.

The 8:30AM Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion arrives back to Skagway at approximately 4:15PM.

Kind Regards,

They said on the phone it could be up and running this morning. I’m praying

We are praying for you, too. Hoping you'll get to enjoy all of God's beauty from a special train ride through it all! Keep us posted!

There seemed to be a lot of Hysteria on this post. I got caught up in it to the extent that my group picked a back up excursion "Just in case". For those of you who frequently go to Alaska is this a common occurrence on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad?

I hope when all is said and done that you don't have happen to you what happened to us. We did take the train and it was cloudy the whole time we were on the train. Except for one brief moment where we got a view of the ship we saw nothing. Just clouds. A bit disappointing. If you are going just to be on the train then you will be fine.

For those of you who frequently go to Alaska is this a common occurrence on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad?

No, it isn't common.

Maybe those that live in Skagway can cite when it has happened but I have traveled there many times and watch he Alaska boards and have never heard of this there.

I remember a rock slide on the highway from Vancouver to Whistler. That happened the year I was going.

Good thing you weren't on a cruise.;p

If you were you miss the excursion and move on....

What I wrote on another thread about out May 15th visit to Juneau

"In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge feast & float plane.it did rain but that did not dampen our spirit. The glaciers were really impressive when viewed from the plane. Meal very good, hiking nice and we did "met" Grandma bear.....we also went on the tram later in the day and got stuck, those eagles can be trouble makers....:D

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2...nts-lose-power

Things in nature happen....the city/vendor far more than any tourists, want that train running ASAP.

That is hilarious!! Thanks for the LOL moment! :D

There seemed to be a lot of Hysteria on this post. I got caught up in it to the extent that my group picked a back up excursion "Just in case". For those of you who frequently go to Alaska is this a common occurrence on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad?

I can't estimate frequency, but it is certainly not unknown. We visited Skagway the first week of May--i.e., slightly less than a month ago. We were, I think, the second cruise ship of the season to visit. As we were walking from the ship to town, my wife said, "Whoa. Look at the side of the hill."

enhance

Here is a veiw from across the bay.

enhance

I have no idea when this slide occurred. There was no debris at the bottom of this, The only evidence of this event was the scarring on the hillside. I wish I would have framed the pick to include them the railroad line. Oh well. I am a mere mortal. That was probably not the worst mistake I made that day.

If you were you miss the excursion and move on....

What I wrote on another thread about out May 15th visit to Juneau

"In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge feast & float plane.it did rain but that did not dampen our spirit. The glaciers were really impressive when viewed from the plane. Meal very good, hiking nice and we did "met" Grandma bear.....we also went on the tram later in the day and got stuck, those eagles can be trouble makers....:D

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/2...nts-lose-power

Things in nature happen....the city/vendor far more than any tourists, want that train running ASAP.

Thanks for sharing. Wonder what the eagle was up to with that metal?