Allure: Suggestion on where elderly parents could sit/go until cabins ready?

Taking my 90 year old parents on the Allure in October out of FLL. Assuming the cabins are not ready, any suggestions on a good place for them to seat and relax/rest. I would think the eating places would be chaotic. Maybe a bar or lounge with a view. (they are not Diamond or above).

I agree with Biker---the best way would be to wait to arrive at port until around 1:00. Check in should go faster with fewer in the terminal---so less standing required for them then, and then cabins should be open when you board. Far less stress all around for your parents.

But hotel check out time is 11 am.

Go out for lunch between? Request late check out?

Yeah, I know it is annoying to pay for lunch when you could eat for free on the ship---but it is a small price to pay if it makes the start of the cruise go smootthly for elderly parents who would struggle to wait in the terminal and onboard.

But other ideas are just about any lounge or a shady spot by the pool

I agree. Avoid the rush to be “first on the ship” and wait at the hotel - maybe have a late breakfast and relax in the lobby for an hour or so before heading to the terminal.

Taking my 90 year old parents on the Allure in October out of FLL. Assuming the cabins are not ready, any suggestions on a good place for them to seat and relax/rest. I would think the eating places would be chaotic. Maybe a bar or lounge with a view. (they are not Diamond or above).

Central Park and visit Park Café for a nice roast beef sandwich or salad. Another place is the Solarium.

Check out might be at 11:00 but you can relax in the hotel lobby as long as you want, Then head over to the ship, check in, enjoy lunch in one of the ship venues, and likely by that time, the cabins will be open.

Allure is a large ship, so if your parents have mobility issues, you may consider a scooter/wheelchair.

enjoy

M

You could consider asking to board with the mobility challenged group. Not sure how that works but at age 90 it seems to me your parents should be allowed to board early with that group.

You could consider asking to board with the mobility challenged group. Not sure how that works but at age 90 it seems to me your parents should be allowed to board early with that group.

Earlier boarding ( if they have that) could just create more of a problem of the boarding time and when the cabins opened.

M

Central Park could be very hot depending on the time of year and people could be jostling for seats after getting food at Park Cafe.

I'd go with something inside--Champagne Bar or Boleros. I think Champagne Bar feels more airy inside. You could even bring food to them though not sure how high the tables are.

Is Cafe Promenade open at that time?

If you can get one, a transport chair is really nice on this huge ship. Lots and lots of walking.

A transport chair has small wheels and folds flat. They usually weigh about 20 pounds. They cost about $100 to $200.

My mom cruised until she was 92. She could walk but tired easily so we always took the chair so she had a choice of walking and a seat. Sometimes she used it as a walker. She could sit in it and scoot along by herself.

If you can afford one or borrow one, I think you will find it very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But hotel check out time is 11 am.

Park Cafe is a good suggestion, there is Central Park right there. Also if the weather isn't inclement, the boardwalk is nice. we will frequently have lunch at the Dog Joint and sit around there. The main promenade maybe a little more crowded, but plenty of seating sear Sorrentos and the other places with plenty of people watching to do. Its fun to see people when they are boarding this ship for the first time.

You could eat at one of the for fee restaurants that day for lunch. We usually eat at Sabor on boarding day as very few people eat there that day, it is nice and relaxing, great seats to watch people on the boardwalk. I believe Chops and Jamie's are open as well. After lunch there are plenty of seats in the aquatheater to sit and wait until 1pm. Or if it is too hot then you could always sit inside in dazzles, champagne bar or the schooner bar area.

Or the Solarium Bistro is not very busy for lunch when you first board. Go grab a couple of chairs for them in the solarium, you can get food for them at the buffet and bring it to them there. Nice and relaxing there as well!

Enjoy the Allure!

Dazzles lounge, just aft of Central Park, will be cool, dim light, and totally deserted. We have often gotten our lunch carryout from Park Cafe and taken it into Dazzles to eat on embarkation day.

You could eat at one of the for fee restaurants that day for lunch. We usually eat at Sabor on boarding day as very few people eat there that day, it is nice and relaxing, great seats to watch people on the boardwalk.

That's exactly where we go for exactly the same reasons. We have done it on Oasis, Allure, and Oasis over the last few years. I also agree, don't be in a rush to get on the ship. Take your time checking out and the check in at the ship will be less hectic.

We always check out of the hotel at 11 or 12. By the time we get a taxi (or god forbid the hotel shuttle), get through traffic, drop our luggage at the pier, and then check in, we are on the ship around 12:30-1pm. There is ample seating in front of the English Pub or in the Champagne bar before the cabins open around1pm. If you wait until later to arrive, you will have shorter lines for your parents to stand in as they check in at the pier. Have a great cruise!