Indian buffet night?

Thorthepony

Sadly we have not cruised for several years now due to financial reasons but we hope to be able to book again before too long.

One highlight of the cruise to us was the Indian Buffet Night. Can anyone tell me if they still hold these as I have not seen them mentioned for a long time. Just wondered if it had sailed away along with streamers at sailing and being played off by a band??

They do, Aurora’s was always amazing, with huge queues... but we did Arcadia last June and it wasn’t hugely impressive, just ‘ok’ and bland (and buffet was very empty) and Aurora at Christmas wasn’t as good as previous years (but a lot better than Arcadia!) we’re back on Aurora next week, so I’ll let you know what it’s like this year :) I have heard they got complaints it was too spicy... (it's an Indian guys!) so have been told to tame it :(

The Indian buffets are not a patch on the one's that used to be on P&Os ships years ago before the arrival of Sindhu on the ships. They used to come round asking if you wanted tickets for the buffet during dinner on MDR on first few nights. On Aurora they decorated the whole buffet area with Indian flags etc. and all staff were dressed in traditional dress. It was free but very popular and was ticket only to able to attend, not anything like the current Indian buffet when there is just a small selection menu as part of a general buffet selection.

Yes I'm afraid it wasn't well attended onOriana. Mostly crew and officers and some of the entertainers.

The Indian buffets were always well attended on Ventura's Caribbean cruise this year, while talking with the buffet manager he said they normally served 400/500 each night but on Indian nights it was nearer 800; and very enjoyable they were as well.

I was on the Ventura in April on a 12 night cruise. They had 2 Indian buffet nights.

I really liked the food but I noticed that it didn't appeal to everyone.

Quality and even level of spicing is going to depend on the chefs on board the ship.

On Oriana, we found the food to be really good on both the ones we attended, only lacking in atmosphere. As someone said now they have Sindhu, they want money for it, but we enjoyed the buffet.

We love both and are intending to eat in Sindhu for my birthday in a few weeks on Aurora. Now what if that clashes with Indian night in the buffet?!

We love both and are intending to eat in Sindhu for my birthday in a few weeks on Aurora. Now what if that clashes with Indian night in the buffet?!

Zoe, I would book this before you go, Sindhu is not very big on Aurora and was full when we cruised last June for the last 4 nights in a 7 day cruise. Indian nights in the buffet do seem to be on a formal night so maybe that is why it is not always well attended.

The Indian buffets are not a patch on the one's that used to be on P&Os ships years ago before the arrival of Sindhu on the ships. They used to come round asking if you wanted tickets for the buffet during dinner on MDR on first few nights. On Aurora they decorated the whole buffet area with Indian flags etc. and all staff were dressed in traditional dress. It was free but very popular and was ticket only to able to attend, not anything like the current Indian buffet when there is just a small selection menu as part of a general buffet selection.

I agree, the buffet on Aurora circa 2003 was an amazing event, we are lucky to have experienced it! We still like the Indian night in the buffet but it’s not the gala event it once was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, these were fantastic events and very popular. The staff looked amazing and the food was great. I think they do have an Indian buffet evening but not so impressive.

Some are being too negative on this thread IMO. Clearly its going to depend on the ship but on Ventura, I find that the buffets have a good choice and it is prepared to a high standard. You might not have people dressing up or whatever else was the norm but the food is good and unlike Sindhu you don't have to pay for it.

Sindhu offers something different with good service and a selection of sophisticated menu options which you will not find in the buffet. It is not a like for like and I would argue that where there is an overlap, the food in Sindhu isn't necessarily better.

I agree, the buffet on Aurora circa 2003 was an amazing event, we are lucky to have experienced it! We still like the Indian night in the buffet but it’s not the gala event it once was.

It was a different world then. The buffet was not usually open in the evening apart from special occasions, the principal one being the Indian buffet. There were two sittings corresponding to those in the MDR, and (free!) tickets had to be booked in advance. You would be allocated a seat at a particular table. Only Indian food was served, and there were a wide range of dishes available. It was very popular and tickets usually ran out. Nowadays the Indian night is just one of a nunber of themed buffets where a couple of Indian dishes are offered in addition to the normal buffet fare.

Some are being too negative on this thread IMO. Clearly its going to depend on the ship but on Ventura, I find that the buffets have a good choice and it is prepared to a high standard. You might not have people dressing up or whatever else was the norm but the food is good and unlike Sindhu you don't have to pay for it.

Sindhu offers something different with good service and a selection of sophisticated menu options which you will not find in the buffet. It is not a like for like and I would argue that where there is an overlap, the food in Sindhu isn't necessarily better.

Some people are not being negative at all but can remember as also agreed by Denarius and Florry when the Indian buffet was a very special occasion in the buffer restaurant and today the current Indian buffet offered is nowhere near as good as what it used to be in choice of food and atmosphere and music.

We were very disappointed with both the Indian and Tandoori evenings on Aurora earlier this year. Whereas a few years ago these offered a variety of nicely spiced Indian dishes for the past few years they seem to have "dumbed down" the choices and even the Vindaloo is about as hot and spiced as our local Indian restaurant's Korma.

Such a shame when you think of all the staff they must have in the galley from India.

We were very disappointed with both the Indian and Tandoori evenings on Aurora earlier this year. Whereas a few years ago these offered a variety of nicely spiced Indian dishes for the past few years they seem to have "dumbed down" the choices and even the Vindaloo is about as hot and spiced as our local Indian restaurant's Korma.

Such a shame when you think of all the staff they must have in the galley from India.

We were on the Ventura and in the Buffet was an Indian family having a birthday party.

One of the family said how much he was enjoying a curry but for his taste it lacked heat.

He was invited to go select a fresh bowl of the curry he liked and one of the staff then took it into the buffet galley and came back to his table a few minutes later with the bowl which the man now seemed happy with . I was eating the same curry and it was hot enough for me.

Maybe next time just ask if they could upgrade your curry for you as well .;p

Problem is that a lot of people find it too spicy. That is the reaction I get from fellow guests. I am happy with the compromise and being an Indian, I find the flavours authentic.

I should also point out that authentic Indian food is not always hot, there are many regional variations and in some areas it is quite mild.

My experience is based on recent cruises on Ventura. It may be different on other ships.

Two people from our table went to Sindhu, said the food was OK, but it took absolutely ages and there was too much of it.

Our problem with the buffet nights was the ones we wanted to go to were all on Black Tie nights strangely.

Thank you everyone for your replies. My experiences of the

Indian buffet were in the early 2000’s so sadly it seems they are rather different now. We love Indian food so particularly enjoyed the array of authentic dishes served, the staff in their lovely Indian dress and the special atmosphere it created. I am quite sad as it seems that so many of the things that made a P&O cruise so special to us have now sailed away over the horizon.

One of the crew told me they get the same food, the curry isn’t hot enough so they stir lime pickle into it to spice it up [emoji38]

Use of pickles to spice up food is a common thing in India. It's like adding extra pepper and it is a matter of taste.

We shouldn't confuse individual taste with quality or authenticity. The spicing may be toned down a little but it is definitely not bland IMO.