Another Passport Question

Unless it is an Enhanced Drivers License it does not prove citizenship and currently only 5 states issue them (I believe Minnesota does issue them, but of course you have to apply for one and pay the extra fee). I do have one and it would have been sufficient to present for returning from a cruise involving Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.
Minnesota does not provide an option to get a "Real ID" driver's license. Federal rules are in place whereby you actually need a "Real ID" ID or a passport to board even a domestic flight, but the laws are not currently enforced, since several states (maybe five) have not passed state laws to provide them.

My DD is a full-time student in MN, but renewed her DL in her home state to retain the Real ID.

In order to apply for a Real ID in my state, you need to bring additional ID and there is a slight fee in addition to a normal DL renewal.

A commercial drivers license. Is actually federally controlled. I actually had to prove citizenship to get it.

And as required by law to have this license you must speak and understand english ( in order to follow police instructions)

I know certain states gave enhanced secure licenses.

I wonder if this woul be sufficient

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Short answer is no. I have a Twic card which requires way more vetting than a passport but even with it I need a passport or EDL.

IOW, you cannot drive your truck into Canada without a passport card or an EDL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did not want to argue with the Customs Agent, so I got my passport out of my luggage, but is not a driver's license a valid "proof of citizenship?" I read that I needed to have proof of citizenship when returning to the USA and I thought a picture ID was good. What is the requirement when returning?

Undocumented aliens can get a driver's license in most states.

And it is even easier for them than a citizen.

Minnesota does not provide an option to get a "Real ID" driver's license. Federal rules are in place whereby you actually need a "Real ID" ID or a passport to board even a domestic flight, but the laws are not currently enforced, since several states (maybe five) have not passed state laws to provide them.

My DD is a full-time student in MN, but renewed her DL in her home state to retain the Real ID.

In order to apply for a Real ID in my state, you need to bring additional ID and there is a slight fee in addition to a normal DL renewal.

Minnesota doesn't have Real ID but they do have an Enhanced Driver's License. It is an additional fee (I think around $15) and a longer, more involved application process. I had one myself before we moved.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=684

I did not want to argue with the Customs Agent, so I got my passport out of my luggage, but is not a driver's license a valid "proof of citizenship?" I read that I needed to have proof of citizenship when returning to the USA and I thought a picture ID was good. What is the requirement when returning?
By these standards, US Customs should allow my high school child to enter the country with her school ID. After all, it's a picture ID.

Seriously though -- no -- a driver's license does not prove you're a citizen. My son-in-law, who is not yet a full-fledged US citizen obtained a US driver's license the day after he immigrated.

Good thing you opted not to argue with the customs agent. That would not have gone well.
I was thinking the same thing.
A passport trumps any other kind of I D. If you had it it was a no brainer to have it out
No, a passport does not trump any other ID. For example, a passport won't get you into the gym. And my husband, who works in various nuclear power plants, had better keep taking his security clearance ID.

However, I know you meant passports for returning to the US after a cruise; still, this doesn't "trump" a birth certificate and picture ID ... either one will get you back into the country just as easily.

And I do agree with your last statement: if you have your passport right there, why not take it out ahead of time /keep the line moving?

Further complicating the process is some people think you will automatically get a real-id or EDL in those states that issue them. They cost extra and require you to jump though some hoops. You can opt-out and get a normal DL.
My daughter and I have been researching the Real-ID because her license will expire at the end of this month. I assume it's the same in all states? What we've learned:

- You can choose to get a regular license or the Real-ID.

- Real-ID is more trouble to obtain; you have to gather a number of identifications that aren't required for a regular license.

- You can renew a regular license through the mail; you must go into the DMV to get a Real-ID.

- Real-ID does not cost more than a normal driver's license (for now).

- Eventually the Real-ID be required for domestic air travel (at this point any government-issued photo ID will allow you to fly domestically) ... once that happens, anyone who has a regular driver's license will need to carry additional documentation for domestic flights.

My daughter's choice: She's going to go ahead and jump through the hoops now to get the Real-ID. I'll do the same ... but not until my license expires in another year or two.

Why is passport in luggage, anyway? Sincerely asking. We would never put our passports in a suitcase - they are always on our person.
No matter what type of ID you're carrying, this is just common sense.
I assume you're talking about INTERNATIONAL air travel, right? Domestic doesn't require a passport (yet).
I've long had the impression that more than a few cruisers don't really understand the differences between domestic and international travel. For example, the people who brag about being so careful /won't fly anywhere without taking along a passport. Why? If you're staying in this country, you don't need your passport. Edited by MrsPete

I am not talking about a REAL ID, I am talking about an Enhanced Drivers License which by agreement with DHS is a document that proves both ID and citizenship by itself (similar to a passport card). I am not sure what MN's status is with REAL ID compliance, but will say that an EDL is compliant and may be used to enter property under Federal jurisdiction.

Only certain types of driver's licenses are proofs of citizenship.

For a closed end cruise out of the US (starts and ends in the same US port), you can use a passport booklet, passport card, or combination of certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID.[/quote

Which DL is proof of citizenship?

I have the enchanced but still need to show my green card and foreign passport as proof I can legally enter the USA.

If you have a green card, you can't have an enhanced License unless you are Canadian.

Arkansas has REALID licenses available. You have to practically give an arm and a leg, in providing all of the additional info to obtain the new license. One new wrinkle in the process is you can opt for an 8 year license as opposed to the original 4 year license.

Has anyone heard of the Mobile Passport?

Apparently you can use it in lieu of your physical passport. There are currently only 27 or so airports around the country that it can be used at and 1 cruise terminal, Port Everglades. I dowloaded it last night on my phone since my next cruise will be out of Port Everglades (I'll still have my physical passport handy...just in case...lol).

https://mobilepassport.us

Enhanced Drivers licenses are issued because of the Real ID Act.which was passed in 2015.

Please see attached link to Homeland Security website https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

My personal experience from Arkansas and with a Green Card is, that I was issued an enhanced DL even though I am not a citizen. The DL expires on the same day as my Green Card and is proof that I am legally in the USA. Slow as I am, I asked why, and was told that no one knows if the green card will be renewed

Please stop calling it "Real ID" the one you want is the State issued "EDL" the Real ID is a term for the federal act not a form of ID.

Last time I flew it seemed the TSA checkpoint had a sign posted that said "everybody" will have to have an EDL or passport after 2020.

If you want the official line: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Has anyone heard of the Mobile Passport?

Apparently you can use it in lieu of your physical passport. There are currently only 27 or so airports around the country that it can be used at and 1 cruise terminal, Port Everglades. I dowloaded it last night on my phone since my next cruise will be out of Port Everglades (I'll still have my physical passport handy...just in case...lol).

https://mobilepassport.us

The CBP website FAQ section says:

Does Mobile Passport Control replace my U.S. passport?

No, travelers must present a valid U.S. or Canadian passport to a CBP officer upon arrival.

Undocumented aliens can get a driver's license in most states.

And it is even easier for them than a citizen.

Fake news.

I have lived in different states and the amount of documents I need as a non-us citizen is much larger than the documents US citizens have to show. I always had to go to the DMV with a folder full of papers.

For the last one, just a few months ago I had to show:

Proof of Identification (My national passport)

Proof of legal status (Electronic I-94 record obtained from CBP)

Two proof of addresses (bank statement, rental lease, utility bill under my name)

Special letter from the Department of State issued to non-immigrants admitted on official visas

Social Security Card or W-2 form

I know many people who, even though have proof of their legal status (some of them even on diplomatic visas), are turned away because they are missing a bank statement or a utility bill under their name.

They also run an E-Verify check before to confirm legal status before processing the paperwork. And on top of that, I have to renew my license every year as I can only get a "limited duration driving license" since the DMV cannot verify if my stay in the US goes beyond one year.

Only 12 states seem to give the driving licenses to undocumented aliens and the amount of documents they need to show is much larger than what US citizens are required to show.

Enhanced Drivers licenses are issued because of the Real ID Act.which was passed in 2015.

No. Enhanced Drivers Licenses have been issued since 2008.

Arkansas does not now nor has it ever issued Enhanced Drivers Licenses.

All states will soon be in compliance with the Real ID act which will allow US citizens to make domestic flights and enter Federal building.

Real ID compliant licenses and Enhanced Drivers licenses are not the same thing.

Your link describes, very well, Real ID requirements, but says nothing about Enhanced Drivers Licenses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fake news.

I have lived in different states and the amount of documents I need as a non-us citizen is much larger than the documents US citizens have to show. I always had to go to the DMV with a folder full of papers.

For the last one, just a few months ago I had to show:

Proof of Identification (My national passport)

Proof of legal status (Electronic I-94 record obtained from CBP)

Two proof of addresses (bank statement, rental lease, utility bill under my name)

Special letter from the Department of State issued to non-immigrants admitted on official visas

Social Security Card or W-2 form

I know many people who, even though have proof of their legal status (some of them even on diplomatic visas), are turned away because they are missing a bank statement or a utility bill under their name.

They also run an E-Verify check before to confirm legal status before processing the paperwork. And on top of that, I have to renew my license every year as I can only get a "limited duration driving license" since the DMV cannot verify if my stay in the US goes beyond one year.

Only 12 states seem to give the driving licenses to undocumented aliens and the amount of documents they need to show is much larger than what US citizens are required to show.

None of which is true in CT.

Please see attached link to Homeland Security website https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

My personal experience from Arkansas and with a Green Card is, that I was issued an enhanced DL even though I am not a citizen. The DL expires on the same day as my Green Card and is proof that I am legally in the USA. Slow as I am, I asked why, and was told that no one knows if the green card will be renewed

Arkansas does not issue Enhanced Drivers Licences, they issue Real ID compliant licenses, the one with a star in the top right corner, and Yes, your DL will always expire at the same time as your expiration to be legally in the US as the Real ID compliant license shows that you are legally in the US, even visitors on an ESTA can get a Real ID DL, if they have the relevant paperwork, it will expire on the last day they can stay in the US

For the OP....you are in Minnesota....did you request, present the required docs and pay for an Enhanced Drivers License?

If you don't know or don't remember, you need to find out.

If you only had a regular drivers license then the CBP agent was correct.

Yes, I understand now that the agent was correct. I wasn’t very confident about his information because he told my wife and me our passports were expired. He didn’t know the difference between “issued” and “expiration.” All’s well that ends well. Thanks for your response.

Please stop calling it "Real ID" the one you want is the State issued "EDL" the Real ID is a term for the federal act not a form of ID.

Last time I flew it seemed the TSA checkpoint had a sign posted that said "everybody" will have to have an EDL or passport after 2020.

If you want the official line: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

No, a REAL ID compliant license (which is the correct term) is not an EDL, they are two completely different animals.

No, a REAL ID compliant license (which is the correct term) is not an EDL, they are two completely different animals.

Totally correct. I just looked at the California DMV www site. Since January, they are issuing two types and using the term federally compliant and non-federally compliant. They are also calling the one as Real ID act compliant. Either way you can't have both and as of now you will still have to have one by October 21, 2020 to clear TSA and enter some other types of federal facilities, unless you have one of the other currently accepted items like US Passport.