Hot sweaty mess

Notonboard

Seems to me that holding them inside and not requiring us to put on the lifejackets have taken the seriousness out of the drill.

Not having them outside can be an extremely positive move in certain emergency situations. Take the Star Princess Fire. A good portion of the outside was unavailable due to the on-going massive fire that was taking place out on our balconies. The fire crew was busy fighting the fire, water was falling down and embers were flying everywhere.

On top of that we were in our muster station for well over 4-5 hours. I can’t imagine what the uproar would have been if in the pitch black dark of 3 am with nothing but ocean around us, we were kept standing outside in the smoke for that length of time.

Princess knows what they are doing to handle emergencies. Granted, mistakes were made that evening but it led to them changing how roll call is handled, how fire fighting may be handled, fire sprinklers out on the balconies, etc. After watching our balcony door shatter and fleeing, suffering from smoke inhalation and going through what we did, I still so firmly believed in Princess handling our safety with such seriousness that I went on another cruise with them that fall.

It’s only my personal opinion which doesn’t mean much to anyone other than to myself, but I totally believe that Princess handles these situations very well. I’m happy to continue to sail them and to muster inside. I may still fully stress momentarily when those alarm bells sound for the drill, but I don’t worry and realize they know what they are doing!!

Not having them outside can be an extremely positive move in certain emergency situations. Take the Star Princess Fire. A good portion of the outside was unavailable due to the on-going massive fire that was taking place out on our balconies. The fire crew was busy fighting the fire, water was falling down and embers were flying everywhere.

On top of that we were in our muster station for well over 4-5 hours. I can’t imagine what the uproar would have been if in the pitch black dark of 3 am with nothing but ocean around us, we were kept standing outside in the smoke for that length of time.

Princess knows what they are doing to handle emergencies. Granted, mistakes were made that evening but it led to them changing how roll call is handled, how fire fighting may be handled, fire sprinklers out on the balconies, etc. After watching our balcony door shatter and fleeing, suffering from smoke inhalation and going through what we did, I still so firmly believed in Princess handling our safety with such seriousness that I went on another cruise with them that fall.

It’s only my personal opinion which doesn’t mean much to anyone other than to myself, but I totally believe that Princess handles these situations very well. I’m happy to continue to sail them and to muster inside. I may still fully stress momentarily when those alarm bells sound for the drill, but I don’t worry and realize they know what they are doing!!

how terrifying! i've not heard of any first hand accounts until this. how do you feel about not bringing life jackets to muster and the new shorter drill? i worry people don't take it as seriously as they used to.

While I agree with everything you say, and was wondering if you would share your first hand experience here, there are always alternative muster stations in case the primary is not available. Whether the primary is outdoors and would have been impacted as was the case for the Star, you would have been led to an alternative muster location. Even indoor muster locations can become unavailable if it is in the fire zone, as was the case if I remember correctly on the Star, muster station "B"? So, while the indoor musters are more comfortable for passengers, I can say that comfort is not a design criteria that the class societies use to determine muster locations (not the line itself).

As for the "information" given at muster, most of it is irrelevant to the muster or general safety, though things like throwing cigarettes over the side are important. Just remember that there are 3 things a passenger needs to know about a muster: where the station is (and how to get to it, not only from the cabin, but from everywhere on the ship) and get there promptly, be accounted for, and shut up and await instructions.

there are 3 things a passenger needs to know about a muster: where the station is (and how to get to it, not only from the cabin, but from everywhere on the ship) and get there promptly, be accounted for, and shut up and await instructions.

perfect!

While I agree with everything you say, and was wondering if you would share your first hand experience here, there are always alternative muster stations in case the primary is not available. Whether the primary is outdoors and would have been impacted as was the case for the Star, you would have been led to an alternative muster location. Even indoor muster locations can become unavailable if it is in the fire zone, as was the case if I remember correctly on the Star, muster station "B"? So, while the indoor musters are more comfortable for passengers, I can say that comfort is not a design criteria that the class societies use to determine muster locations (not the line itself).

As for the "information" given at muster, most of it is irrelevant to the muster or general safety, though things like throwing cigarettes over the side are important. Just remember that there are 3 things a passenger needs to know about a muster: where the station is (and how to get to it, not only from the cabin, but from everywhere on the ship) and get there promptly, be accounted for, and shut up and await instructions.

Thanks for that information. Always very thankful for all of your technical expertise and advice you give here on the boards. And I couldn’t agree more with your last statement.

I just looked over the MAIB report I have and see that muster station B was used. Perhaps they didn’t use all the rooms associated with it? I don’t have a clue!

I only know that I was in Explorer’s Lounge. (Still can’t sit in that same area when I go to an event there on a ship that has it.)

Thanks again!

Not really.

If you miss a muster they'll send you a letter detailing all the highlights of the drill.

No makeups required.

I have never missed a safety briefing but wondered about the "makeup drill". I also have wondered as once I was in this situation what happens if you are at the drill but do not get your card scanned that you were there. Thanks for the information.

how terrifying! i've not heard of any first hand accounts until this. how do you feel about not bringing life jackets to muster and the new shorter drill? i worry people don't take it as seriously as they used to.

I’m in the minority because I thought people actually paid more attention to the new shorter drill. I always thought people zoned out, I’m sure I was guilty of doing that prior to that sailing.

At least it taught me to always pay attention, starting with the emergency exit drill that was on the AA flight getting me home from Jamaica the day after the fire!

Thanks for that information. Always very thankful for all of your technical expertise and advice you give here on the boards. And I couldn’t agree more with your last statement.

I just looked over the MAIB report I have and see that muster station B was used. Perhaps they didn’t use all the rooms associated with it? I don’t have a clue!

I only know that I was in Explorer’s Lounge. (Still can’t sit in that same area when I go to an event there on a ship that has it.)

Thanks again!

I've got the MAIB report as well (tend to collect all of these for cruise ship "serious marine incidents" lately). I was too lazy to look it up, and was working from a failing old memory. I seem to remember that they didn't ready the boats on the port side until they had rigged up a fire hose water spray to keep them cool.

One thing I've recommended on several threads where folks say they've sailed the same ship or ship class so many times they zone out on muster drill. Try to imagine you are somewhere on the ship (lounge, restaurant, pool) and you need to get to your muster station. Then imagine that the fire is somewhere between you and your muster station, so you can't go through the fire, or any deck above it in the same fire zone. Now walk yourself mentally through the ship (which you claim to be so familiar with) to get to your muster station around the fire. I've been doing this 26 weeks a year for over 40 years, and I can still find new variations.

I've got the MAIB report as well (tend to collect all of these for cruise ship "serious marine incidents" lately). I was too lazy to look it up, and was working from a failing old memory. I seem to remember that they didn't ready the boats on the port side until they had rigged up a fire hose water spray to keep them cool.

One thing I've recommended on several threads where folks say they've sailed the same ship or ship class so many times they zone out on muster drill. Try to imagine you are somewhere on the ship (lounge, restaurant, pool) and you need to get to your muster station. Then imagine that the fire is somewhere between you and your muster station, so you can't go through the fire, or any deck above it in the same fire zone. Now walk yourself mentally through the ship (which you claim to be so familiar with) to get to your muster station around the fire. I've been doing this 26 weeks a year for over 40 years, and I can still find new variations.

Again, very sage advice!

One thing I will say is that at least you can see what is going on with the Princess drills for the most part. By not being in a 6 person deep tight line up formation, you can actually see. The first time we did a drill on another cruise line’s small ship here out of Miami and stood in formation on an outside deck, I was in the back and couldn’t see those leading the muster drill at all. It took me by surprise because prior to this I had only done muster drills on Disney and Princess.

Interesting to look through that report. I was in Suite C414 on that sailing, I can see that we were cabin 26 to have the alarms go off. Not a long span of time between the cabins going off. That sure was one amazing suite though!!

I am so glad I read this. It would be interesting to do this while @ sea. To see how many different ways you can get to your room, grab your must haves (medicine, life jackets & ID) and get to the muster station while being blocked off by the most easiest route and figure alternate routes.

I pray to God that I never, ever, have to experience it in real. Thank you for sharing. :)

With RCI's muster drills, it depends on the ship. We were quite comfortable in air conditioning in the huge atrium area on the HOTS. They just need to extend this to their older ships.

Never going to happen. Way too costly, and no benefit to the company.

Just remember that there are 3 things a passenger needs to know about a muster: where the station is (and how to get to it, not only from the cabin, but from everywhere on the ship) and get there promptly, be accounted for, and shut up and await instructions.

And (assuming you can get to your cabin)

a) Bring needed medicines

b) Bring warm clothing

c) Bring your life jacket