Random Notes, Explorer, Copenhagen-Oslo, June 24-July 6, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

John, that’s funny! According to the article that Wes linked to, the dancers are students at the Norwegian Ballet School.

We had a gorgeous day in port, and our railway excursion today was Flamtastic! Just wish that every passenger who wanted to go on the train could have been accommodated, but there was only room for 400. The 100 on the wait list had a choice of two other excursions. So if Flam is on a future itinerary of yours, book this excursion early if you are able.

You can easily Google "Flam Railway," so I'll just mention that the train does not turn around, so to have views from each side you'll have to switch sides at Vatnahalsen, where you'll get off the train for coffee and a snack-sized portion of Norwegian waffle with sour cream and preserves at the Vatnahalsen Hotel.

Also, if you take the morning tour and feel up to it, you'll have plenty of time to walk the 1.5 kilometers to the village where you'll see the old church (1667). Or, like us, you might be content to photograph the town from the train.

View from a passing train. . .

02768afd258c420de188437b6cca1419.jpg

After my waffle at the Vatnahalsen Hotel I took a short hike. I ran into this friendly young couple from: Utah!

15c9749ca66813f158acaaf7ab7495c4.jpg

The path not taken—I didn’t want to miss the train back to Flam!

331c202b505755a9d0d95575bb7bd7ae.jpg

Passing the village of Flam as we near the end of our unforgettable ride.

eb33b5a3113b5838193c9113ee0bf1d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sensing a growing clamor for more Eilfeldig Notaters from Jess, so I am pleased to oblige:

If you go through a red light in Norway, it's a $1200US fine.

If you have an accident while texting or speaking on your cellphone, no insurance will cover it.

You are considered a drunk driver in Norway if you register 0.02. Drunk drivers lose their license for two years, pay the government a penalty equal to whatever their salary is for one and a half months, spend two weeks in jail camp and have to take oral, written and driving tests before being allowed to drive again.

Good drivers are rewarded with insurance discounts up to 75% off the regular insurance price.

I’m sensing a growing clamor for more Eilfeldig Notaters from Jess, so I am pleased to oblige:

If you go through a red light in Norway, it's a $1200US fine.

If you have an accident while texting or speaking on your cellphone, no insurance will cover it.

You are considered a drunk driver in Norway if you register 0.02. Drunk drivers lose their license for two years, pay the government a penalty equal to whatever their salary is for one and a half months, spend two weeks in jail camp and have to take oral, written and driving tests before being allowed to drive again.

Good drivers are rewarded with insurance discounts up to 75% off the regular insurance price.

Wow - more interesting facts! Loving it. Please let Jess know how much we appreciate learning about the laws.

Thanks, Jackie, I'll let Jess know!

Happy 4th of July to my fellow American CC members! CD Andy has planned a "4th of July Dance Party under the Chandelier" with the Regent Orchestra and Entertainment Team tonight at 9:30 on Deck Four.

But before our dance party we'll be celebrating--and be entertained by--our talented and hard-working crew at Krew Kapers. Could it be that time in the cruise already?

Krew Kapers is my cue to share some crew stats with you. Would you believe that our 539 Explorer crew members--407 males and 132 females--hail from 47 countries!

As usual, the Philippines leads the way with 210 crew members, 154 males + 56 females. India follows with 75 males. Indonesia is third with 55, 53 males and two females.

Here is the complete Crew Nationality Breakdown for Copenhagen-Oslo:

Philippines, 210

India, 75

Indonesia, 55

Ukraine, 24

Honduras, 19

Italy, 17

France, 12

Serbia, 10

United States, 10

Romania, 8

United Kingdom, 8

Croatia, 6

Russian Federation, 6

Venezuela, 6

Bulgaria, 5

Mauritius, 5

Macedonia, 4

Myanmar, 4

Peru, 4

South Africa, 4

Belarus, 3

Mexico, 3

Nepal, 3

Portugal, 3

Thailand, 3

Australia, 2

Brazil, 2

Canada, 2

Colombia, 2

Germany, 2

Montenegro, 2

Malaysia, 2

New Zealand, 2

Panama, 2

Slovakia, 2

Argentina, 1

Chile, 1

China, 1

Ecuador, 1

Spain, 1

Hungary, 1

Jamaica, 1

Lithuania, 1

Nigeria, 1

Poland, 1

St. Vincent and the Grenadines, 1

Sweden, 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello from Haugesund. The morning fog has burned off and it’s a lovely day, although noticeably cooler than yesterday in Flam.

You see a tiny portion of the Aibel yard in the bottom right portion of the photo below. Aibel once was a big name in shipbuilding, but now is one of the largest oil service companies in Norway. That’s a drilling platform going up.

0920a2cc5d076a34cd9bf6b2e47bdcbd.jpg

Thanks for the reminder about the Flam Railway! We missed this a few years ago, and we won’t make the same mistake again when we are there next summer on Navigator. Have an alert on my calendar for 12:01 am on excursion sign-up day!

Question—are Andy and Tammy on Explorer in July? We have friends on one of the July trips. Thank you.

Jan, Tammy boarded on May 25, Andy on June 2, and they’ll be on together until October 7. So, in short, your friends are in luck. We’ve loved cruising with them.

Today’s easygoing excursion was centered on Skudeneshavn, which became a prosperous town 150 years ago during the rich herring fishing period

The old town section has more than 130 wooden homes dating back to this time period—one even dates back to 1770—making it the best preserved old town of its type in Europe.

Our visit began with a self-guided tour of Maelandsgarden Museum, housed itself in several period buildings. Then we were on our own to stroll about.

A few snaps. . .

Museum exhibit of an affluent family’s drawing room.

7671485a398e3465b75b5d622eb9e63f.jpg

All of the historic buildings we saw were painted white, an indication of the community’s wealth.

64193cbd151918709b5495fbb74b6b5d.jpg

4eab6150745d43048e266897efb8d65f.jpg

Skudeneshavn garden.

177516435185c6fbb63256fa83a65955.jpg

Love your blog, wonderful pictures. We are booked on a Baltic cruise, ending in Copenhagen. Have booked the Hotel Kong Arthur, and will try some of the restaurants mentioned in the thread. Also using Alla Tours in St. Petersburg mentioned in a previous thread by Travelcat2. Thank you all that contribute to CC for all your valuable advice.

Susan

Thanks, Susan! We enjoyed our five night stay at the Kong Arthur. The rooms may be small in this late 19th Century hotel, but the place has character. Plus, we loved the location and the friendly staff.

Krew Kapers, as always, was big fun!

2f446653fb031d2ee7bb394111747f8d.jpg

ba346c451b2f6ebf37a157ce060208d7.jpg

26dce44a3e14df41bdaf6072b288a504.jpg

64ae61b7417ade8430b1a3d708f3f671.jpg

b09c921a1e26da26135700490384cfe2.jpg

Then everyone had a bang at the “4th of July Dance Party Under the Chandelier”!

Aidan wants you to party!

2693989d376f7327162fcccfbe54e1ff.jpg

Andy and Tammy

0782de0c88e9e833529d1aaee850db8c.jpg

Independence Day fashion statement

8bd9f15222965b24533c6e4909f414a4.jpg

Rockin’ Robin

972eb89c6797e2e4695f310def391070.jpg

Vlad the Drum Impaler

98731af517c304c1dd778b96c63caa73.jpg

Happy 4th from Deck Four!

b24ec96032cb1ae6242ff452b742c27c.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Hi, Rich. I finally caught up with all your posts, having been somewhat out of the loop the last few weeks due to my mother’s passing. What a wonderful fun Trip! You went to some of our favorite ports. Very nice, and your posts make me ready to be aboard Explorer again, but will have to wait till February.

Rich - what camera are you using? You are obviously getting amazing shots. Also, who is the CD on Explorer? I know that John recently went on vacation!

Andy has only been mentioned ten or twelve times on this thread.

Hi, Rich. I finally caught up with all your posts, having been somewhat out of the loop the last few weeks due to my mother’s passing. What a wonderful fun Trip! You went to some of our favorite ports. Very nice, and your posts make me ready to be aboard Explorer again, but will have to wait till February.

Rachel, I've been checking Facebook only sporadically since we've been away, so I missed the news of your mom's passing last month. Ginny and I are so sorry and send you and George and family our deepest sympathies. I just now read your wonderful FB tribute to her, and agree that you were lucky to have her for so long (100 years and 3+ months).

Edited by Mr Rumor

Jackie, I alternate between my iPhone 7 and my Sony DSC-HX80 point and shoot. I used the Sony to shoot Krew Kapers and iPhone to photograph the dance party, including the shot of CD Andy and wife/Social Hostess Tammy. (Had to hold on the phone tightly at times as the dancing got a little raucous.)

We'll due to arrive at 11 a.m., just under two hours from now, in our last port, Gothenburg. We're scheduled for the 3.5 hour "Tjoloholm Manor" excursion, and while actually going on it is still a game-time decision, Ginny and I are strongly leaning toward turning in our tour tix and either poking around town a little on our own or just staying on the Explorer and working on our packing and just enjoying the ship. We're feeling truly sated at the moment with the bounty of fantastic sights and experiences we've taken in—in fact, we're still trying to absorb them all!

I have a couple of minutes before the Regent Reward Prize Redemption in the theater, so here's a very brief edition of Eilfeltig Notaters from Jess:

In Norway all medical care is free, and there is free education through college.

The lowest tax rate for most is 36%. The highest is 75%, on income of $250,000US and above. Seniors pay 28%.

I agree, wonderful photos Mr Rumor….and great choice of camera too - I have the same one ;p I can't believe your (our!) cruise has come to the Krew Kapers so quickly. What a great time you/we have had!

Thank you for taking us with you.

Thank you, Gilly—I don’t think we’ve been on a Regent cruise where Krew Kapers didn’t come around too quickly!

Our Sony is a little too heavy for me to want to keep in my pocket, so I found a nice snug case for it and carry it with me (strap goes around my neck). I much prefer its zoom over the iPhone’s.

We’re docked in Gothenburg and I was surprised to see the USA flag flying next to the Swedish flag on the pier. Maybe because Regent is headquartered in Miami and the city likes to honor its visiting liners this way?

Meanwhile, I was not surprised to see the Volvo buildings, flags and signs. When Jess drove us through Sweden on the way to Copenhagen it seemed like every third or fourth car we saw was a Volvo.

4e88f023c3ad72b6d86b40734798f8fa.jpg

I've written before about Ginny's and my magical meeting aboard the Royal Viking Star in early 1977, a meeting that wouldn't have happened unless fate had intervened (I was an emergency replacement on the Star as shipboard editor).

What I haven't mentioned is our first date, a drink before dinner before we each went to our assigned tables (remember those days?). The drink was a pina colada.

Thirty three years later, in 2010, we finally found ourselves together on our first cruise, just the two of us. The ship was the Mariner, and the occasion was our 30th anniversary. I thought it would be nice to celebrate that first date one night by toasting our marriage with another pair of pina coladas. A pina colada per cruise has been a cruising tradition for us ever since.

When Food and Beverage Director Enes Josipovic learned about our pina colada history he made us that proverbial offer we couldn't refuse: He would personally made us our pina coladas for this cruise just the way they are made in Puerto Rico, where the drink originated (and where Enes met his wife Coral in 2010). He promptly followed through on his offer at lunch on the Pool Deck the other day.

Enes had to improvise a bit, he explained, mainly because the local citrus liqueur used in Puerto Rico isn't easily available outside the territory. He used Absolute citron instead.

I watched as Enes went through his PR-inspired pina colada making paces (more steps than I had imagined) at the Pool Deck bar. Finally our drinks were ready!

381e8f60c7a6d531fb84e6dea8b325bb.jpg

GM Davor had been standing by to preserve the moment for us:

9de298f8f560409e811e3f68f5d504bb.jpg

And, yes, they were scrumptious!

Edited by Mr Rumor

Rachel, I've been checking Facebook only sporadically since we've been away, so I missed the news of your mom's passing last month. Ginny and I are so sorry and send you and George and family our deepest sympathies. I just now read your wonderful FB tribute to her, and agree that you were lucky to have her for so long (100 years and 3+ months).

Thanks Rich. I hope I stay as vibrant and active as long as she did.

Absolutely love your story about your piña colada tradition. You guys are a very special couple.

Please say hello to Enes from Roberto and Pamela. We met in April during our Panama Canal cruise and he is one of the friendliest and professional crew members we’ve ever met. He also knows what is the only rum that a self-respecting Puerto Rican like me would drink. Hint: Miguel Cervantes de Saavedra. Keep up your wonderful blogging and thread

Rachel: we are sorry to hear about your loss.

Z and TB

Oh, such a cute story about the pina coladas! I love how thoughtful Regent staff are in such situations and admire how long they remember these small details too. Congratulations to you both from another 1980 union! I agree about the weight of "our" camera. I throw mine in my handbag but I doubt that you have that option Mr Rumor ;)

Rachel, I too had missed your sad news and agree that a long life well lived is something to celebrate. My condolences to you and your family.