Random Notes, Explorer, Copenhagen-Oslo, June 24-July 6, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

I like this vertical view better. (The fog has burned off and it looks like it will be brilliantly sunny for our tour this afternoon, and hopefully after Trivia, my walk up to the Fjellstua Viewpoint.)

071baf3eef342382e74ee94be6c14456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mr Rumor

Sailing into Alesund. . .

430dc8a4ecc49a02502ff2c6dee58b77.jpg

Docking (the view from our “bump” balcony). . .

626f1daa5e7b7f6519e863744893b1fd.jpg

ed04240c471443f0a4407fb420d3168d.jpg

I see the viewpoint, Wes! Even though we have morning and afternoon tours today, we don’t sail out until 11, so I’m hoping to do the climb!

99414e627e251e9d0787f7df9a4e127c.jpg

Jackie, the Norway crab-eating-the-fish issue you mentioned sounds vaguely familiar. Will ask Jess about this when we see him again at the end of the cruise. By the way, I saw Staff Captain Abhi at the SSS reception last night and he asked me to say hi. Such a nice guy.

We love Abhi - he is such a kind gentlemen. Really hope that we see him on board Explorer next February! If you see him again, please send our warmest regards.

Still loving just sitting back and reliving our time in Norway. Such an amazing country!

Jackie, I’m happy to pass on your regards to Abhi. Glad that you and Dennis are able to relive your own wonderful time in Norway via these notes and pics.

No need to trek the 418 steps up Mt. Aksla to the viewpoint, as our sea eagle’s eye view of Alesund and the Explorer was included In our afternoon tour, “Alesund and the Sunnmore Open Air Museum.” As you can see, the afternoon turned out to be postcard perfect!

5f07359aeb87968a6c1cdfebae67c310.heic

Jackie, I’m happy to pass on your regards to Abhi. Glad that you and Dennis are able to relive your own wonderful time in Norway via these notes and pics.

No need to trek the 418 steps up Mt. Aksla to the viewpoint, as our sea eagle’s eye view of Alesund and the Explorer was included In our afternoon tour, “Alesund and the Sunnmore Open Air Museum.” As you can see, the afternoon turned out to be postcard perfect!

5f07359aeb87968a6c1cdfebae67c310.heic

Thanks for the preview. We have this tour booked on our August cruise. Can’t wait!

Sheila, I think you'll like the Sunnmore Museum, with its collection of of more than four dozen old houses spread about the peaceful landscape. You'll see sights like this:

e25b5559d8c67d1587829704dcf01b7a.jpg

The museum also boasts an impressive variety of old boats, including replicas of a couple of Viking ships, ruins of which that were discovered nearby. We also learned about a WW II Norwegian resistance operation involving fishing boats, a couple of which are also on display. If you don't mind a little "homework" before your visit, Google "Shetland Bus World War II." I found this story fascinating.

Several shots to cap our wonderful day in Alesund:

This building is reputed to be the narrowest in all of Norway, just over three meters wide.

3a01421a099ed2a91191b6b78c7902f3.jpg

Along the Alesund waterfront. . .

9bf7752201e107d2e7e4d252d722f540.jpg

9b450fbb53d4dc008d63975552d78e3a.jpg

Fishermen would haul their catches up these steps, to the fish market on the plaza:

c1dafc9761dc90c793e23dad11bc59e6.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Saying god natt now with another edition of Eilfeldig Notaters from Jess:

New mothers have to take off from work for 52 weeks, with full pay. Dads have to take off for 12 weeks in the first year, also with full pay. Parents receive about $2000US a month from the government until each child reaches 16.

Oil is why we have so much money for family welfare. Norway is Europe's largest oil producer.

Norway only uses 1.2% of its oil income for welfare, culture, sports, and road construction. The rest of the money goes into the bank. Norway invests all over the world, but will not invest in weaponry or in companies that harm the rainforests.

Jackie, stand by for more Notaters from Jess.

Boatmans Lady, you might want to order an “appetizer” portion of lobster tempura (it’s still a lot), like I did, then order something else for your main course. You get to sample two mains that way!

Thanks, Jennifer! The Viking Star was one of two other ships anchored with us in Geiranger. First time I’ve seen a Viking ocean liner.

Thanks, Gerry—that photo op made my morning in Alesund. (The photo from the viewpoint on high made my afternoon.)

A quick hei from Hellesylt, our second port of the day. My words and pics can’t do justice to the magic of Geiranger, but I’m determined to try, as soon as I can post from the ship again (internet has been down all day)! For now, here’s a shot of the Explorer from the bridge over the waterfall in the sweet little hamlet of Hellesylt, where the internet is fast and free.

0226fdfa4fe9c7856916d04c1fe643b2.jpg

Sheila and Jean, wishing you the same spectacular weather when you sail into Geiranger that we enjoyed today.

As soon as I got up this morning (at 5) I parted the drapes, went “Wow!” and immediately parked myself with camera at the “bump” in our balcony. This was my view looking forward:

962770637e67811084fb92c1b0d33247.jpg

I would have had a great view of the Seven Sisters from our balcony but decided instead to check them out from Deck 12:

6c6b05ffde005c826cc2c1cd6b75d839.jpg

And then I got a little distracted playing around with reflection shots:

bcde0787707b3b7f9eb673210280f95f.jpg

Soon I spotted the zig-zaggy road our excursion bus would be taking up the side of the mountain:

728256cf34fc029c6cce5053cd89ad68.jpg

Around one last bend in the fjord: Geiranger!

95c03da18f7672cef223748cd5464139.jpg

A couple of hours later our tour, “Herdal Mountain Farm,” was under way with a splendid view of the fjord (Viking Star is on the left with the Explorer a little further back, on the right).

8c95a9962b75a32f695e95b5549c9251.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

I am a bit at a loss for words. Other than to say....WOW.

Your photos and commentary have stimulated me to move this itinerary to the top of my bucket list.

Bob

You can see what an amazing itinerary this is. It is in the top 3 cruises or land trips that we have ever done. I could not recommend it more highly!

Wow!!! You are the man when it comes to taking pics!!! We just love this thread and your style. Say hello to your lovely wife from us and hope to sail with you again in the future.

Z and TB

Your pictures bring back memories of our very favorite Regent cruise Voyager, Reykjavik to Copenhagen. Not sure where everybody went, but we were the only two people sitting on the wooden bench on deck 12 as we sailed out of Geirangerfjord (advantages of a forward outside viewing area :)). It was quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. I am right back there looking at your pictures! Thank you. Jan

Bob, Jackie, Sheila, Roberto, Jan, (and Malbec Wine from earlier) it's enthusiastic responses like yours that keep the blogging fire lit inside me--thanks! The plan was to do a second late-night post yesterday, but the internet went down again (it's a fjord thing). This was probably good because by the end of that amazing, spectacular, incredible day I was blooey (the best kind of blooey)!

So, after the photo stop at Eagle's Bend Viewpoint, we motored through a breathtaking piece of the West Norwegian Fjords, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with Pablo, our guide. With 197 cruise ships visiting Geiranger (as many as five a day!) this season, there is an opportunity for guides from other countries to earn some summer coin. Pablo hails from Spain, and he was great.

Our destination was the historic Herdalssetra Mountain Summer Farm in Norddal, in operation for 300 years. At its peak, Herdalssetra boasted 15 farmers. Today, there are four: one sheep, one cow, and two goat. We were there for the goats!

The two goat farms produce two traditional Norwegian products, brunost (brown goat cheese) and goat's milk caramel, the old-fashioned way. Part of that old-fashioned process includes hand-stirring a big iron pot with the curds and whey--and then just the whey, after the curds are removed, which gives the cheese its distinctive brown color--for eight to nine hours!

With 380 goats, the farms are busy, thanks especially to their "record goats" who are able to produce seven to eight liters of milk a day. The production is such that workers for Tine, one of Norway's biggest dairies (we drank their cow's milk and ate their yogurt at Jess'), make pickups every three days.

We had an hour at the farm to ask questions of the young managers, Eva and Filip, from the Czech Republic, taste yummy samples and then stroll around the idyllic mountain pasture grounds.

Many of the 30 buildings at Herdalssetra are today rented out by the night.

a4135c0ef5ef226029028d18b8f229af.jpg

The way-out WC at Herdalssetra!

f23c04b71ebfc1d5bc4e0ab7b25ef01f.jpg

Valentin, from Austria, stirs the pot at Herdalssetra. Each potful yields four kilos of cheese.

d23e2e49e579ac8b50b4ab586649687f.jpg

Thanks to Jess, I'm quite familiar with brunost. It is a bit of an acquired taste, but I've come to enjoy very thin slices of it atop crackers.

8c5cf8106257c3e840124b737708dd18.jpg

Filip just kidding around. We didn't get to meet the milking goats as they were out to pasture.

faa5bca3d53adf40dca42458161ab0bd.jpg

This is Eva's third summer working at the Herdalssetra Mountain Summer Farm. She found her job by Googling "goat farms Norway."

80593e0b126a7f5eb66b914cbf969f51.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Good morning from Flam! The ports of the world website I consulted listed the Explorer as the only visitor for today, but I definitely see another ship (as it turns out, the CMV Magellan).

We’re taking—what else—the “Flam Railway to Vatnahalsen.” It’s billed as one of the most beautiful train trips in the world, and is one of Norway’s top tour attractions.

ff0d26138c66fef2d3b756eef97bdbf5.jpg

Hi Rich!

We’re on the Viking Star and enjoyed Geiringer Fjord with you yesterday. Fantastic! After dinner we had our lemon cello in the Observation Bar forward and enjoyed a wonderful cruise out of the fjord. Was fun seeing the Explorer for the first time. How about the threat from the big pice of mountain they are afraid will create a huge tsunami some day? Love your blog!

Stan

Correction, it’s the CMV Columbus, not Magellan, that’s in port with us today.

Stan, if I knew you were aboard the Viking Star I would have waved! Regarding the threat to fjord towns from a big chunk of mountain causing a killer tsunami, our guide yesterday passed around a copy of a poster for a Norwegian disaster flick, “The Wave.” Where does The Wave hit? Geiranger!

Wes, we indeed had a moment this morning with the Dancing Woman, as a Celtic tune played on the platform at the Kjosfossen Waterfall. As the article you provided the link to reveals, she’s the Huldra, “an elusive forest spirit from Norse mythology” who “lures men into the woods to seduce them.”

I was beguiled (but not seduced!).

863c296ce6d5859ff713f9bfb7855b61.jpg