Random Notes, Explorer, Copenhagen-Oslo, June 24-July 6, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

For those who adore Davor, this is his reply to the report that he will be retiring:

"Thanks for letting me know!"

The GM joined the Explorer in Southampton on May 31. He said he'll be on until Copenhagen, September 3. After vacation time back home in Croatia with wife Mirjana and son, Marin, now 17, Davor will fly to Monte Carlo to join the Voyager on November 5. Lucky us ("us" will include daughter Shauna) will get to cruise with him again on the Voyager later that month.

There will be other Regent contracts for Davor in 2019 and beyond, he said, because "I don't have any plans to retire!"

For those who adore Davor, this is his reply to the report that he will be retiring:

"Thanks for letting me know!"

The GM joined the Explorer in Southampton on May 31. He said he'll be on until Copenhagen, September 3. After vacation time back home in Croatia with wife Mirjana and son, Marin, now 17, Davor will fly to Monte Carlo to join the Voyager on November 5. Lucky us ("us" will include daughter Shauna) will get to cruise with him again on the Voyager later that month.

There will be other Regent contracts for Davor in 2019 and beyond, he said, because "I don't have any plans to retire!"

That is great news (both that he isn't retiring and that he'll be on the Voyager in November when we do the transatlantic sailing. If you see him again, please say hi from Dennis and Jackie and let him mow that we'll see him in November! Thanks much and all thank you for the update.

I'm so enjoying your photos and blog. It puts the rest of us to shame!

You are right about Hendra! He is a treasure. We could barely eat because we were laughing so much.

920ac2204792695107c0260f16ef4b74.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each Davor greeting has been personally delivered to the GM himself, and he appreciates them and gives his best regards in return. Jennifer, when I reminded him of how he had come to the aid of your friend in Auckland, he proceeded to relate the entire story. I felt like I was rereading your blog entry from that day--his memory is something else!

Crisy, I loved your Hendra photo and know someone else who will, too--thanks for sharing!

Well, we've been going going going every day since we flew to Oslo on June 10 with the exception of a rainy Sunday in Sandvika when Jess and I watched World Cup matches in his apartment while Ginny worked on a craft project. So I'm relieved to finally have a quiet day, which is what sea days are--right?

Well they can be of course, but how can I pass up at least one of Adam Tanner's two enrichment talks today, one titled "The Daring and Often Fatal Exploration of the Arctic," the other "Are Scandinavians the Happiest and Best-Off People on Earth? An Intro to the Region."

Then there's "Crossing the Arctic Circle" at 11:30 on the Pool Deck. . . "Enter the Order of the Blue Nose as the Seven Seas Explorer crosses the frigid Arctic Circle (Rumor mini note: It actually happens mid-afternoon today). Don the sacred Viking horns, shout Skal with Aquavit, and have your photo taken with a blue nose."

And then how can I miss the Greek Lunch, my favorite themed Pool Deck lunch. I think I'll keep my blue nose on for that.

And in the afternoon: Cruise Consultant Gudrun's Future Cruise Presentation (hey, I could win a $250 shipboard credit by just showing up), followed by an appointment at 3:30 with Gudrun herself--time to book another cruise.

4:30 of course means "Andy's Million Dollar Team Triva" in the Observation Lounge. This will be my first opportunity this cruise to show what I don't know, but I'm already thinking an appearance by ol' Rumor will be iffy because I'm starting to get worn out just typing up this list.

But after dinner in Pacific Rim, how can Ginny and I pass up on the Explorer Production Cast Singers' "Broadway in Concert," a "journey through Broadway's past and present."

Maybe I can do it all if I can just work in a power nap between, say, 1:30 and 1:45? It's the only slot I have open!

Rich

P.S. I am typing this on the Pool Deck. I'm definitely underdressed for the outdoors in shorts and short sleeved shirt but I'm almost toasty sitting in the comfort of the dining area, with overhead heaters conveniently spaced. I just counted 23 of them on the port side alone, and they are smartly incorporated into the wood-slat ceiling design.

Mr Rumor, what fun! We love your description of your day and have just about recovered from the 'Davor retirement rumour' ! :eek: We count ourselves amongst the many who admire his exceptional management skills and are always thrilled to find him on board.

Good luck with the Million Dollar Team Trivia! If things don't quite work out, we've had difficulties spending our million dollar bill, which seems to arouse suspicion whenever we present it in payment. Maybe it's because it has Andy's portrait on the note and not one of your great presidents? :confused::confused::confused:

Gilly, the ship’s motion got to Ginny this afternoon—odd to have so much motion today and no white caps—so I was the only one to make it to Trivia. The second group of two couples I approached found my appeal—“May I join you and ride your coattails to victory?”—irresistible and took me on. I actually made myself useful on several questions and we got 12 out of 15, meriting two Regent Rewards points, but no Andy money!

Speaking of our CD, posing with our blue noses with him earlier today (at least I think that was him under the Viking helmet and behind the waist-length beard) I remembered that I wanted to post a photo of Andy in his kilt. He donned it last night on the occasion of the Block Party.

"Heath" is actually an English name, but as Andy's DNA test revealed he is 30% Scottish, "I qualified in my mind!” for a quilt.

Andy explained that modern tartans don't belong to a specific clan, he chose a "Spirit of Scotland" off the rack in a kilt shop outside Glasgow when the Voyager docked there in 2016. "It takes 15 minutes (to get dressed in a Scottish traditional outfit) and I had only 20, so I said 'Please dress me.' I wanted to see how they did it.” It was only after he was fully dressed that his salesman gently informed: "Andy, all the instructions are online."

Andy then walked out of the shop and right into a Glasgow downpour. What to do, the Voyager was a 20 minute walk away? “I figured I had leverage in this situation due to the fact that I had just made an expensive purchase,” he explained, “so I went back inside and said, 'Which one of you can drive me back to the ship?’” Andy and his kilt made it back safe, sound and dry, and he has been wearing the special garb on special Regent nights ever since.

By the way, this is our first cruise with Andy and we're enjoying his cheerful, enthusiastic approach. Ginny and I find Andy's wife and Explorer hostess Tammy to be a delight as well.

1e659f816454a21b9b5cf7eddfa0cccb.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving those Blue Noses....and a WOW for the kilted Andy. He looks fabulous!

Hope Ginny is feeling better. Had a glass of wine last night in an RVL glass....it tastes so much better! haha!

Continue to enjoy!

J&L

Linda, did you know that Andy and Tammy are Royal Viking alums? It’s true! They began their seafaring careers in 1985 as dancers aboard the Star. RVL connections still abound!

Checking in from Pacific Rim. The lobster tempura with three dipping sauces (appetizer portion) was fantastic, even better than I remember it being in 2016!

4e4ae5c3605637e4642484b72a04a07f.heic

And the blue stuff, as you might have guessed, was icing, so no problem to dispose of!

Peggy, as you know, I sometimes pack my RVL tie. Wish I would have this time as it would have turned Andy’s and Tammy’s heads! The tie surprised CD Jamie, another RVL alum, a few cruises back.

By the way, although they’ve danced, Andy and Tammy began their cruising career at Royal Viking Line in 1985 as singers, not dancers as I previously reported. They will be performing their show tomorrow night in the Constellation Theater.

Now it’s time to share a little something different—a mini-series of Norway-themed Eilfeldig Notaters (Random Notes) courtesy of my buddy Jess.

Jess was so chock full of interesting info on Norway that I felt obliged to keep pen and notepad handy as we motored about the Oslo area. I’ve bunched some of the notes thematically rather than dispense them one at a time. Here’s Edition 1:

One of four cars purchased in Norway is electric. There is no tax on the purchase of an electric car (on gas and diesel cars, the tax runs to 60-70%). Also, drivers of electric cars don't have to pay tolls, and parking is free.

I pay three tolls to get into downtown Oslo--one as I enter the third ring, one as I enter the second, one as I enter the first. It's about $17 in total to drive to the city center, and that's with my discount (Auto Pass sensor placed on windshield).

Gas is currently $9.50US per gallon. Gas used to be cheapest Sunday night until Monday at noon, but now the government has switched back and forth on prices during the week, confusing people.

Mr Rumor, I sincerely hope Ginny is feeling better! Cruise days are too precious to lose any time feeling sick.

We've sailed with Andy and Tammy a couple of times and love them both. I hope you enjoy their show as much as we did - they are extraordinarily talented (quietly so, in my opinion). I agree, Andy wears his kilt very well indeed - I hadn't heard the story of how he acquired it. Thanks for sharing!

Best of luck with the Trivia challenge. That Million dollar bill might still come your way (yn)(yn)

Thank you, Gilly! Ginny’s attitude is always “Tomorrow will be a better day.“ Tomorrow” is now today, and it is! Will report on Andy and Tammy's show.

Hei hei from Harstad, our northernmost port. Harstad will always hold a special place in Jess’ heart as his ex-wife, Jorunn, a former Royal Viking Line nurse, was born here. Jess met Jorunn aboard the Star in early 1977, several weeks after I had my onboard meeting (and romance) with Ginny, who was traveling on a portion of a South Seas cruise with her family. Sadly, Jorunn passed away several years ago, which was a blow to Jess, as they had remained close friends. Jess has lots of memories of Harstad, as I am sure we will be making our own as well today. Jess approved our five hour excursion, which I'll be chronicling later.

The forecast as recently as yesterday had been for rain. The updated forecast is for cloudy skies. If the patches of blue remain, so much the better!

9e0dd151641d64bf981250a814c70d8c.jpg

8593039b04c60fdb91cee3089ff90395.jpg

We did it, Gilly, 15 out of 15 at Trivia today! Check out CD Andy with his six newly minted Andy millionaires! (L to R, team members Al, Joyce, Ginny—you kinda have to look for her—Robin, Ron and Rumor)

93fa74640a97427f3505b45fa12c5ab1.jpg

Rich, shared your terrific blog with Craig—he had no idea you were posting. Thanks again for keeping us wonderfully entertained and am sure most of us wish we were there instead of here :)

Congratulations! On our Beijing to Bangkok cruise in 2017 we, along with Paula & John Third, and an everchanging duo from Texas won the 1 mil twice. We still have them, still keep trying to use them. Maybe they will be redeemable the next time we sail with Andy & Tammy? Please say hello from us. It was a pleasure to get to know them. We love reading about your adventures! Jan & Dave Johnson

Edited by briar14
Clarification

Oh wow! Congratulations!! (I can see the potential for a Millionaire's Club here, with Mr and Mrs Rumor and their team mates, Jan and Dave, my Hero and I...we can share ideas of how to spend our hard won cash ;p

What fun!