GTY Not assigned and GTY category is SOLD OUT!

I’m very new to the cruising world and was asking more out of curiosity, what does a sold out cruise mean to us with a GTY unassigned room. I’ve learned that what RCI shows in their website as available can be selective in order to meet their marketing needs. But our cruise is just over a month away, and given the time of year I wonder if SOLD OUT actually means sold out at this point?

Again, thanks for all the replies... we are so excited for our cruise!!!! :)

I think you're confused by the term "SOLD OUT".

"SOLD OUT" is not equivalent to "ASSIGNED". Suppose there are 100 rooms in a category. The cruise line could sell all 100 as Guaranty Rooms and that category would be "SOLD OUT" even if none of those rooms had been "ASSIGNED".

It appears that you think that as soon as all the rooms have been sold, they can be, and should be, immediately "ASSIGNED". The cruise line may have a different opinion and may delay for quite some time "ASSIGNING" these rooms.

It appears that you think that as soon as all the rooms have been sold, they can be, and should be, immediately "ASSIGNED". The cruise line may have a different opinion and may delay for quite some time "ASSIGNING" these rooms.

I think that was part of what I was wondering.... If the category is sold out, would/could we expect our room assignment. But it makes sense that they may delay this until closer to the sailing date. Thanks.

That’s our sailing too!! Have you guys received your stateroom number yet?

We originally booked Guarantee - Inside and received a cabin # a few weeks after booking. But, we recently paid to upgrade to Guarantee - Balcony, and are now waiting again.

HanFamily, We’re in the same predicament, I’m sailing July 8-15 on Oasis and haven’t received my GTY room as as well,also on website our selection isn’t even showing up,but I went to U.K. website like someone suggested and I see 50+ rooms available so I feel a little better, Also, I’ve heard horror stories about people who got cabin on sailing day and had to drag luggage through screening and customs and then take it back outside around porters.

Edited by rooster1961
Forgot something

Also, I’ve heard horror stories about people who got cabin on sailing day and had to drag luggage through screening and customs and then take it back outside around porters.

That's because they didn't know you can go directly to the porters who have their cabin assignment and can affix tags.

I'm sailing Symphony in October. Originally booked Inside GTY first week of Feb. The room was assigned within 2 weeks (wasn't great) - then there was a President's Day sale in which we were able to upgrade to a Neighborhood Balcony GTY with more OBC for the same price as the Inside GTY so we jumped on it. Same scenario where the Central Park Balcony has been showing as Sold Out for a couple months now. I've been checking weekly, and finally this week we have been assigned a Central Park Balcony (we are very happy with location this time!). So they must hold back rooms to assign to the GTY's.

We are on Indy 14 nights med cruise June 30th,2 guests got a phone call yesterday, June 26th to tell them the ship had been over sold and had there cruise cancelled:(

Without more detail, that doesn't really mean much.

We are on Indy 14 nights med cruise June 30th,2 guests got a phone call yesterday, June 26th to tell them the ship had been over sold and had there cruise cancelled:(

Just cancelled? :eek: Weren't they offered a "move over?"

Full refund and future cc, means nothing if you can only take your annual leave at certain times.

Thanks, I think that has been the usual compensation. Some were able to complain enough to get a cabin in that situation (I guess they bumped someone else).

Thanks, I think that has been the usual compensation. Some were able to complain enough to get a cabin in that situation (I guess they bumped someone else).

30 mins ago RC have asked another family would they be willing to cancel there cruise on same ship with same compensation. Reply was no as there are 13 members flying from Belfast.

30 mins ago RC have asked another family would they be willing to cancel there cruise on same ship with same compensation.

Some good negotiators will counter offer with some higher amount - seems that this sailing will have some very disgruntled customers. Were any of the folks in any of these offers still waiting for a cabin assignment under a GTY booking?

Some good negotiators will counter offer with some higher amount - seems that this sailing will have some very disgruntled customers. Were any of the folks in any of these offers still waiting for a cabin assignment under a GTY booking?

At least one.

What I'm noticing here is that these bumps are to Europeans only. They don't really want to get involved with fransatlantic air refunds, so they're trying to oust the "locals." Same things happen with oversold Caribbean cruises.

Right, I just wanted confirmation that this bumping business can happen with assigned cabins as well - it's not really a GTY exclusive thing.

Weren’t you bumped (or attempted to be bumped) from one, basically because you were local and they knew they wouldn’t have to reimburse much?

Weren’t you bumped (or attempted to be bumped) from one, basically because you were local and they knew they wouldn’t have to reimburse much?

No, but that would make sense - bump the locals (or the lowest cost to RCI) first.

FYI - Just received my stateroom numbers today for the Oasis July 29th sailing.

Awessome!!! Are you pleased with the stateroom(s) that you received? You were a Neighbourhood Balcony GTY right? Did you receive staterooms in Boardwalk or Central Park?

Awessome!!! Are you pleased with the stateroom(s) that you received? You were a Neighbourhood Balcony GTY right? Did you receive staterooms in Boardwalk or Central Park?

Hopefully they got CP. Don't know why anyone would choose BW.

We love the bw cabins. We get to see the ocean, shows, movies and people watch from the xx29 balcony. All the walking helps to keep the weight off from eating.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Strange comment. They get quite booked up so people do select boardwalk rooms (including us).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk