CCL Stock Tumbles.

Kenswing

All that $116,000 you made selling those 2000 shares at $58/share were already "tied up"? :eek: I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or envy you for having to pass up making another $2000 yesterday! :loudcry:

Tom

yes that $116k was tied up, as it takes 2 days for settlement, and federal rules allow you to buy on unsettled stock sales but then you cannot legally sell the new stock you buy straightaway as technically you have not paid for it.

So if you bought more and then wanted to sell quickly you would not be able to do it, and could incur heavy losses if it went down more.

yes that $116k was tied up, as it takes 2 days for settlement, and federal rules allow you to buy on unsettled stock sales but then you cannot legally sell the new stock you buy straightaway as technically you have not paid for it.

So if you bought more and then wanted to sell quickly you would not be able to do it, and could incur heavy losses if it went down more.

Seriously, you can always sell.

framer

It's simple. If Carnival is a good investment, then folks will buy as many shares as they can. If it isn't, then nobody will buy more than 100 shares.

I let the dividends buy me more shares. So far they have bought me an additional 21 shares and some change.

I'm up almost 75% on my initial investment so to me this has been a pretty good investment, not even including all of the OBC we have received.

I'm in it for the long haul so this blip is just that, a blip.

• Like 2

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Tom

federal rules allow you to buy on unsettled stock sales but then you cannot legally sell the new stock you buy straightaway as technically you have not paid for it.

Many "day traders" manage to do this, buying and then selling the same stock in a single day.

Many "day traders" manage to do this, buying and then selling the same stock in a single day.

yes of course you can - and I do - but with settled funds - if others do it differently then they have some other funding arrangement I do not have

This page explains good faith violations

https://www.schwab.com/active-trader/insights/content/stock-settlement-why-you-need-to-understand-the-timeline

• 11 months later...
On 7/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, voljeep said:

I like how all the posters post their moves "after" the fact - not at time of purchase...;p

I called mid-40s (as the level to keep an eye on as an entry point) over a year ago -- before even this thread was posted. 

FWIW.  The window is open atm.

🧐

• Like 1

Agree it is at a good price for those wanting the OBC.  It could go lower but the dividend has gone up a couple times since the last time it was at this price.  If it tanks due to a one time surprise even I would certainly buy more.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:23 AM, voljeep said:

I like how all the posters post their moves "after" the fact - not at time of purchase...;p

I like the ones who show up after the fact to tell you "I told you so", when they had exactly no more idea than the ones who were wrong.

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

I like the ones who show up after the fact to tell you "I told you so", when they had exactly no more idea than the ones who were wrong.

It balances out the Buy, Buy, Buy! folks who are just as frequently wrong.

What I wonder about are the posts "I bought at 25, and it has been great!"

Well, I guess good for those folks, but the people interested in getting the shareholder credit now

won't be buying at 25.

(Unless Schettino gets out of prison, and is command again...)

On 7/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, pablo222 said:

It balances out the Buy, Buy, Buy! folks who are just as frequently wrong.

What I wonder about are the posts "I bought at 25, and it has been great!"

Well, I guess good for those folks, but the people interested in getting the shareholder credit now

won't be buying at 25.

(Unless Schettino gets out of prison, and is command again...)

Well, no, they are not just as frequently wrong.  Over the years it has gone up.  And that is also true for the market in general.  If folks "don't want to enter the pool,"  I understand.  But numbers show that the long term direction is always up.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, Redwing55 said:

Well, no, they are not just as frequently wrong.  Over the years it has gone up.  And that is also true for the market in general.  If folks "don't want to enter the pool,"  I understand.  But numbers show that the long term direction is always up.

Make sure you buy more whenever you see posts like this:

On the other hand, you might want to check the price today vs. the date of the quoted post.

May I suggest that anyone considering the purchase of Carnival or any other security should make their first stop the investor relations webpage where you can find a copy of the most recent annual report.  Early in this report (pages 4 / 6) in the case of Carnival the Chairman or CEO will lay our their vision for the business.  Now executives can be and occasionally are wrong, and sometimes things don't play out exactly as they envision, however, if you disagree with the vision presented, frankly you have no business owning a part of the Company (why on earth would you buy a Company if you disagree with the management vision?).

In the case of Carnival Corp the primary thesis laid out is:  Growth in our industry will continue.  We will add capacity in a 'measured' fashion to capture our share of that growth.  And finally we think we have a good standing amongst our customers.  You may agree or disagree with any of these points, but again, I'll suggest that if you strongly disagree with any or all - don't buy stock in the Company.  

Personally, I see recent weakness as an opportunity to add to my holdings.  Others see that same weakness as a sign it's time to get off the boat (pardon the pun).  Whatever your view, I suggest you make such decisions as dispassionately as possible.  

• Like 2

You raise some good points.  Personally shared values are important to me as an investor and as a customer.  The alignment has not been always perfect and there are times when a company hits a road bump and I can either sit and watch how management handles things or sell.  In many cases those road bumps are buying opportunities.  Carnival was one of my first stock purchases and has generally been a good performer.  Although I was disappointed with management’s failure to appropriately address environmental shortcomings threatening company operations in the US - my hope is that it will become a leader in this area.  I typically follow Warren Buffet’s advice when investing - historically strong companies, good dividends, competitive moat, and has hit a snag that has caused a significant price dip, and hold a long time.  Carnival pretty much checks all of those boxes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Be prepared for a significant spike in the stock price in the next few days if my typical luck holds out. 😉 I’ve been looking to get in on the shareholders OBC with the recent fall in the CCL share price, but have been waiting till my wife’s ESPP shares in her brokerage account recover from their release (her company matches the release date with their quarterly results, so if the news is bad, they are immediately worth less!). 

She sold the ESPP shares on Friday as they had a decent rally, so right before the trade settles and the funds are in her account so we can go and by some CCL shares, I’m sure that they will stage a miraculous recovery. You can all thank me later! 🙂

I bought at near the 52 week low. I figure the 4.4% dividend yield is safe and provides a lot of downside protection vs. a 1.60% 10 year treasury bond yield. The occasional $1/share OBC is a bonus. It takes a lot of cruises to make up for a $20/share drop in price form the 52 week high.

Edited by richmke