CCL Stock Tumbles.

Kenswing

We bought CCL stock in the mid $20 range too so for us it has been and excellent performer. Stocks are only down if they are worth less then a person paid for them....:D

You are right! Current price is only pertinent if you're buying or selling. I also bought at $25/share 10 yrs ago in my Roth IRA. But I'm invested for the long term....all stocks go up and down in the short term. If I add all the dividends and OBC I've gotten in the past 10 yrs, I'm WAY ahead!! :D

Good, more capacity will lead to lower cruise fares hopefully

What Carnival Corp is doing is increasing capacity in a measured way (also includes getting rid of older ships) so that demand increases faster than the supply. Therefore, I do not expect that growth under this policy will result in lower cruise fares.

We just bought the 100 shares of CCL . We are booking 2 cruises one is 7 nights & one id 15 nights .So we get a total of $350 just for those 2 cruises & the stock pays a 3.5% dividend to boot . It will go back up ;because leisure & travel is a huge business now & especially with this vibrant economy :p

I have an idea. If Carnival wants their share price to go up, they should give incrementally higher OBC for buying and holding more shares.

eg) For an inside cabin on a 7 night cruise, the OBC should be something like-

100 shares=$50 OBC

200 shares=$75 OBC

400 shares=$100 OBC

800 shares=$150 OBC

And proportionately more for higher category cabins and longer cruises. You get the picture.

A little more OBC will hardly any dent their bottom line, but it will be a big incentive for all Carnival cruisers/lovers to buy more shares and be a part owner. It will give them a sense of pride of being a partner in growth and also keep them loyal to Carnival.

No doubt, the buying interest generated would push up the share price.

I have an idea. If Carnival wants their share price to go up, they should give incrementally higher OBC for buying and holding more shares.

100 shares=$50 OBC

200 shares=$75 OBC

400 shares=$100 OBC

800 shares=$150 OBC

And proportionately more for higher category cabins and longer cruises. You get the picture.

A little more OBC will hardly any dent their bottom line, but it will be a big incentive for all Carnival cruisers/lovers to buy more shares and be a part owner. It will give them a sense of pride of being a partner in growth and also keep them loyal to Carnival.

Nice thought. CCL has some 531 million shares outstanding. The average daily trade is over 4 million shares. The buy and hold for OBC should be negligible.

What Carnival Corp is doing is increasing capacity in a measured way (also includes getting rid of older ships) so that demand increases faster than the supply. Therefore, I do not expect that growth under this policy will result in lower cruise fares.

However what Carnival owned lines do in a controlled way is one thing - other cruiselines are trying to grab market share any way they can.

Even new ones like Viking Ocean are adding to the number of berths available with no redundant ships being scrapped

In fact fewer cruiseships seem to be scrapped these days, instead they are sold off to new or small cruiselines like Cruise and Maritime or Fred Olsen.

Its all competition for Carnival.

However with costs increasing I don't expect lower cruise fares.

100 shares=$50 OBC

200 shares=$75 OBC

400 shares=$100 OBC

800 shares=$150 OBC

Corporate profit is not generated by selling shares.

Your formula would result in more OBC than what the passenger paid for the cruise. The share price would decline due to poor earnings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well it declined this morning pretty well on its own, having opened the day trading at $57.43 its now not even 11am EST and its sunk down through the $57 level to $56.82

its like watching a train wreck...…… when will the decline stop?

Price is back where it was in the first quarter of 2017

$44 was the previous recent floor in early 2016. I hope it doesn't go as low as that.

I am still not sure its time to buy very many though...………….. but if you want just the 100 shares to get OBC then its probably getting to be a good deal ???????

Edited by Griller

The lower the better for buyers. You don’t supposed it has anything to do with overbuilding and the Princess debacle with the *****? I realize Princess is only a small part of a large corporation but ***** was to begin with it and revolutionize the whole fleet.

The lower the better for buyers. You don’t supposed it has anything to do with overbuilding and the Princess debacle with the *****? I realize Princess is only a small part of a large corporation but ***** was to begin with it and revolutionize the whole fleet.

I don't think ***** will impact the share price, and they will probably get it working eventually on the newer ships, not that I like it

And as for overbuilding as it takes several years to build a ship who knows what the demand will be by then? Not a positive factor for the share price short term, as you say.

I think its the economy generally, the cost of fuel, inflation, reduction of discretionary spending and feelgood factor in the population

And the cruise industry is cyclical, and we seem to be in a downturn in the cycle as far as investors are concerned. It seems any news is bad news.

Personally I think Carnival will not stop steadily making heaps of money

100 shares=$50 OBC

200 shares=$75 OBC

400 shares=$100 OBC

800 shares=$150 OBC

Looks good on paper ;however ,who do you think would spend over $44000 to buy 800 shares & only be entitled to a $150 OBC ? This is why it is the 100 shares to get the OBCs as long as the pax is a share holder of record

The reality is that any one owning 100 shares or more is a owner in the corporation & the board of directors deemed it appropriate to give the OBC perks to those who are owners . It is a great deal if a share holder cruises often & that in itself is the incentive :p

I don't think ***** will impact the share price, and they will probably get it working eventually on the newer ships, not that I like it

And as for overbuilding as it takes several years to build a ship who knows what the demand will be by then? Not a positive factor for the share price short term, as you say.

I think its the economy generally, the cost of fuel, inflation, reduction of discretionary spending and feelgood factor in the population

And the cruise industry is cyclical, and we seem to be in a downturn in the cycle as far as investors are concerned. It seems any news is bad news.

Personally I think Carnival will not stop steadily making heaps of money

Todays economy is very strong & getting stronger each quarter . Consumer's have a feel rich factor & are spending on many things & especially previously detained cruise vacations .:p JMVHO

Looks good on paper ;however ,who do you think would spend over $44000 to buy 800 shares & only be entitled to a $150 OBC ? This is why it is the 100 shares to get the OBCs as long as the pax is a share holder of record

The reality is that any one owning 100 shares or more is a owner in the corporation & the board of directors deemed it appropriate to give the OBC perks to those who are owners . It is a great deal if a share holder cruises often & that in itself is the incentive :p

It's simple. If Carnival is a good investment, then folks will buy as many shares as they can. If it isn't, then nobody will buy more than 100 shares.

I think a major future problem (and the future is already here) for the cruise industry are the ports. Too many ports are starting to be overwhelmed by cruise ships and passengers and it is destroying a lot of the charm of the destinations and creating many related problems. For example, just consider the island of St Maarten which has become a very popular port with a world-class docking facility. The port can now handle 6 large cruise ships without breaking a sweat. This can mean over 20,000 cruise ship passengers on an island where the entire population is about 40,000! This is nutz. It is even worse on St Thomas where high numbers of cruise passengers have already overwhelmed the island and create traffic jams in Charlotte Amalie that are ridiculous. And the downside is that many Caribbean vacationers now avoid St Thomas in favor of other islands that are not overrun by cruise ship passengers.

So, we look into the future and see CCL, MSC, and RCI all continuing to expand the number and size of their ships. But they are not making many new ports :(. Eventually passengers will become fed-up with port and regional congestion and start to look elsewhere for their vacations. Those of us who enjoy longer cruises on small vessels will be fine since small ships can go to places not accessible to the mega ships. But the most popular cruise destinations in the Caribbean and Alaska are already reaching their capacity. Where are all these 4000+ mega ships going to dock?

Hank

I think a major future problem (and the future is already here) for the cruise industry are the ports. Too many ports are starting to be overwhelmed by cruise ships and passengers and it is destroying a lot of the charm of the destinations and creating many related problems. For example, just consider the island of St Maarten which has become a very popular port with a world-class docking facility. The port can now handle 6 large cruise ships without breaking a sweat. This can mean over 20,000 cruise ship passengers on an island where the entire population is about 40,000! This is nutz. It is even worse on St Thomas where high numbers of cruise passengers have already overwhelmed the island and create traffic jams in Charlotte Amalie that are ridiculous. And the downside is that many Caribbean vacationers now avoid St Thomas in favor of other islands that are not overrun by cruise ship passengers.

So, we look into the future and see CCL, MSC, and RCI all continuing to expand the number and size of their ships. But they are not making many new ports :(. Eventually passengers will become fed-up with port and regional congestion and start to look elsewhere for their vacations. Those of us who enjoy longer cruises on small vessels will be fine since small ships can go to places not accessible to the mega ships. But the most popular cruise destinations in the Caribbean and Alaska are already reaching their capacity. Where are all these 4000+ mega ships going to dock?

Hank

Absolutely agree, and that's why now if we want to cruise the Caribbean we don't cruise Princess but instead we book on Windstar ships or other tiny ships which visit the small islands.

Absolutely agree, and that's why now if we want to cruise the Caribbean we don't cruise Princess but instead we book on Windstar ships or other tiny ships which visit the small islands.
And pay much more

And pay much more

It was about $1000 each per 7 days, fairly late booking, yes that's more than we would have paid late booking on Princess but maybe not much more than many people pay who book outside cabins well in advance.

And its very very nice...…more inclusive…superb cuisine……………and very different ports, so it is worth it for us

We have another 20 days booked on Wind Surf in November and it was less than we would have paid on Princess, so it seems you just have to look hard and book the bargains, and get lucky, sometimes they are out there.

However with costs increasing I don't expect lower cruise fares.

With the introduction of newer, bigger ships with advanced engine technology, modern hull designs and special hull paints that reduce fuel usage, overall costs of operating a ship are decreasing. (But I still do not expect lower cruise fares either.)

The goal of the cruise lines is to keep fares (and other passenger expenses) lower enough than on a land vacation to keep the ships full. As the costs of land based vacations increase, so will the costs to cruise.

With the introduction of newer, bigger ships with advanced engine technology, modern hull designs and special hull paints that reduce fuel usage, overall costs of operating a ship are decreasing. (But I still do not expect lower cruise fares either.)

The goal of the cruise lines is to keep fares (and other passenger expenses) lower enough than on a land vacation to keep the ships full. As the costs of land based vacations increase, so will the costs to cruise.

There are many more costs than just the ones you mention, and those are increasing, also of course the new ships cost double what the old ones cost to build, as they are so complex and sophisticated, quite apart from the cost being in Euros.and the dollar not being par with Euro as was originally intended.

With a new ship costing around a billion dollars or so the interest payments and depreciation is incredible. The depreciation alone is about a million dollars a week over the life of the ship, then there is maintenance, and refits and upgrades to consider every 5 years or so. Can't get away with just some new rug any more.

Personally I am quite satisfied with a cheap old ship with few glitzy amenities, but I realize that new younger passengers won't be.

The only way is forward with new fancy ships.

CCL stock is floundering, I'm looking for a major advance with high volume to jump back in.

framer

yesterday morning was the time to buy, it was sinking like there was no tomorrow

and then recovered very well

could have made $1 a share buying and selling yesterday...………….. I was not in a position to do so unfortunately as all funds tied up temporarily.

I am watching it as well

yesterday morning was the time to buy, it was sinking like there was no tomorrow

and then recovered very well

could have made $1 a share buying and selling yesterday...………….. I was not in a position to do so unfortunately as all funds tied up temporarily.

I am watching it as well

All that $116,000 you made selling those 2000 shares at $58/share were already "tied up"? :eek: I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or envy you for having to pass up making another $2000 yesterday! :loudcry:

Tom