CCL Stock Tumbles.

Kenswing

I think you will find that the market is anticipating the fact that the impending trade war is expected to hit the pockets of consumers throughout North America and Europe as the price of everyday must buy items increase dramatically.

The need to use more of one’s income on necessary purchases means that the market is expecting a bigger hit on discretionary expenditure items with the result that prices of stocks in companies deemed to have their revenues dependent on discretionary expenditure are taking the bigger ‘fear of trade war’ hit.

Similar thing happening to companies like Harley Davidson whose products are also discretionary purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you will find that the market is anticipating the fact that the impending trade war is expected to hit the pockets of consumers throughout North America and Europe as the price of everyday must buy items increase dramatically.

Will this be caused by your claimed tariff on 'american' cruise ships?

Looks like it historically goes down in July and then rebounds. Wish I enough extra in the bank to get a hundred shares.

Check if your company has the ability to buy stocks in your 401. Since you are not using that money anyway it is a good way to buy.

All markets are down. CCL posted a great quarter but the outlook is "iffy" with higher oil prices and the trade war threat. Harley-Davidson just announced it would move the production of 40,000 or so bikes to the EU due to EU tariffs imposed after USA aluminum and steel tariffs imposed on their products. I would expect a bumpy market for quite a while. I am watching CCL and may buy more if I can get a feel for what is going on though that might be wishful thinking. I used to pride myself on being logical and practical - now I generally feel pretty stupid.

Check if your company has the ability to buy stocks in your 401. Since you are not using that money anyway it is a good way to buy.

That's how I did it. I put off buying for a year or so because I thought I would have to have the money in hand. A helpful CCer suggested this idea and it was very easy. I put in the order to sell enough of my mutual fund shares to purchase the CCL stock, and voila...... 100 shares of CCL in my portfolio.

I could kick myself for waiting.....it was about $29 when I first looked and $44 when I finally bought. I've gotten about $1000 in obc though, so I'm almost caught up;)

All markets are down. CCL posted a great quarter but the outlook is "iffy" with higher oil prices and the trade war threat. Harley-Davidson just announced it would move the production of 40,000 or so bikes to the EU due to EU tariffs imposed after USA aluminum and steel tariffs imposed on their products. I would expect a bumpy market for quite a while. I am watching CCL and may buy more if I can get a feel for what is going on though that might be wishful thinking. I used to pride myself on being logical and practical - now I generally feel pretty stupid.

Not "all markets are down", thankfully! (y)

The percentages will change but currently CCL is over 10%, RCL 6% and NCL 8%...the stock market’s rollercoaster ride continues.

Even if the price dropped to the $29.50 we paid with the amount of OBC & dividends we’ve received it’d still be profitable for me.

It has been a winner for us with all of the cruises we have taken and the OBC received and it has more then paid for itself several times over. We did not look as it as an investment but a way to get more OBC's.

We bought it at around $26.00 a share after the Costa Concordia disaster happened. It was just coincidence that we bought at that time and the stock took a big tumble I guess because of pending litigations and recovery costs.

The need to use more of one’s income on necessary purchases means that the market is expecting a bigger hit on discretionary expenditure items with the result that prices of stocks in companies deemed to have their revenues dependent on discretionary expenditure are taking the bigger ‘fear of trade war’ hit.

Similar thing happening to companies like Harley Davidson whose products are also discretionary purchases.

The primary reason why the cruise line stock prices are being hit are due to increasing fuel costs and impacts from the strengthening dollar While bookings remain solid there are signs that pricing remains flat and that the upcoming Caribbean season may be negatively impacted (residual from last year hurricane season).

Bottom line increasing costs without sufficient pricing power to pass them on.

Has nothing to do with trade wars and tariffs. Very specific results based upon very specific analysis.

That's how I did it. I put off buying for a year or so because I thought I would have to have the money in hand. A helpful CCer suggested this idea and it was very easy. I put in the order to sell enough of my mutual fund shares to purchase the CCL stock, and voila...... 100 shares of CCL in my portfolio.

I could kick myself for waiting.....it was about $29 when I first looked and $44 when I finally bought. I've gotten about $1000 in obc though, so I'm almost caught up;)

It was $20 something when I first looked too. Now I just can’t bring myself to buy

Might be a good time to buy even if you have 100 already, it seems to recover quickly and is quite a volatile stock

Yeah, whatever. If you'd bought CCL at the end of 2004, it would have taken till March of 2017 for the share price to fully recover from its "quick" slump. Sure, there's dividends and OBCs, but it seems that not all random online investment advice is all that useful.

(BTW, I do own 100 shares.)

Edited by shepp

CCL stock is down almost $6 per share right now to $57.55 due to a negative profit outlook.

Might be a good chance to buy for those looking to take advantage of the shareholder benefit.

Wait till it drops below $40. It will happen at some point. Arnold is not a good CEO long term.

The primary reason why the cruise line stock prices are being hit are due to increasing fuel costs and impacts from the strengthening dollar While bookings remain solid there are signs that pricing remains flat and that the upcoming Caribbean season may be negatively impacted (residual from last year hurricane season).

Bottom line increasing costs without sufficient pricing power to pass them on.

Has nothing to do with trade wars and tariffs. Very specific results based upon very specific analysis.

I also believe the rising cost of living in the US and uncertainty in the financial markets has lowered many peoples discretionary spending, and cruises, and the onboard spend which makes the voyage profitable for the cruiselines, are very much discretionary spending.

Yeah, whatever. If you'd bought CCL at the end of 2004, it would have taken till March of 2017 for the share price to fully recover from its "quick" slump. Sure, there's dividends and OBCs, but it seems that not all random online investment advice is all that useful.
I'm not sure what you mean. The site I found with the history of CCL's stock prices showed it peaking around $41.55 at the end of 2004 and surpassing that at the end of 2014.

I was fortunate to buy in the low 30s. Those who bought below $15 a share in 2009 are really doing well. I've received over $1,500 in shareholder credit plus the dividends over the years.

I'm not sure what you mean. The site I found with the history of CCL's stock prices showed it peaking around $41.55 at the end of 2004 and surpassing that at the end of 2014.

I was fortunate to buy in the low 30s. Those who bought below $15 a share in 2009 are really doing well. I've received over $1,500 in shareholder credit plus the dividends over the years.

Since you asked...I went to https://www.google.com/search?q=NYSE:CCL&e=4112296&tbm=fin&biw=1255&bih=693#scso=uid_3KoxW_igF8SJ0gLW0bLwDg_5:0

and clicked on "max." The chart shows CCL closing at $57.95 on 12/23/04. Same with the chart on Yahoo Finance. And even your example shows it took a decade to recover from late 2004. Took till March 2017 to reach that level again. However, I'm admittedly not an expert on CCL prices.

Edited by shepp

Some facts (about CCL Corp which includes Princess):

o The 2nd quarter earnings were the best in CCL Corp. 2nd Quarter history, even with a negative 19 cents/share effect of fuel and currency.

o Higher ticket sales added 5 cents/share to 2Q earnings.

o Higher on board sales added 2 cents/share to 2q earnings

o Lower expenses for cruise costs added 3 cents/share to 2q earnings.

o Demand is still increasing in excess of capacity growth.

o There will be 5.6% capacity growth in 2019.

o 22 ships have left the fleet over the last 12 years including two this year. This keeps capacity from growing too fast as the newer and larger ships are introduced.

o The newer ships help keep costs down since they hold more passengers and use the latest fuel saving technologies.

o 2018 bookings for the last half of the year are ahead of what 2017 bookings were a year ago and at higher pricing

o In the western Caribbean bookings are up compared to last year and at higher pricing

o In the eastern Caribbean, bookings are about the same as last year at slightly higher pricing

o In the southern Caribbean (mainly ships porting in San Juan). bookings are pricing are down

o In Europe bookings are up and at significantly higher pricing

o In Alaska bookings are up at higher pricing (Yes, we all know there have been some last minute bargains for Alaska)

o CCL Corp has a string credit rating.

o Although there were fuel surcharges in the past after a rapid spike in oil prices, there are no current plans for fuel surcharges to be considered.

o China sales have moved away from just full ship charters. Currently there is a combination of partial ship charters, group sales, more sales distributors and still some full ship charters.

o Do not expect rapid growth in China soon. But since the inventory (ships) is mobile, ships can be relocated around the world to where growth in demand appears.

o Estimated earning for rest of year are based on current currency values and current fuel pricing. Forecasts are always wrong. What is not known is how wrong and in what direction.

By the way, the drop today in RCCL and NCL stocks was caused by the "Carnival effect" since CCL Corp's fuel and currency problems will also affect those cruise companies.

If you were to purchase 100 shares, would you be able to get the OBC for a cruise already booked but not yet taken?

Yes, just fax a copy of your share purchase confirmation.

The required details and fax number are in the link in post #18.

I don't think it was necessary to buy out Silverseas, when they already have a luxury line Azamara, which is also doing reasonably well.

I hope they don't increase the cruise fares now, to try to recover the huge expense (investment??)

The answer is "YES". Just did this for four cruises two days ago.

A bit more detail. We took our 1'st Princess cruise 19 months ago and bought our 100 CCL shares in Feb 2018. We have since collected $200 OBC and $95 in dividends. We have 5 more cruises booked to Apr 2020. That will bring in $1100 more in OBC and $350 more in dividends by then. Our Feb investment is down on paper but it is hard to get too concerned about it when the reward is that good.

Been charting this stock for months, its in bear territory. When it goes up it peaks lower than the last peak, not a good sign. It's now broken below it support level. Great stock and will go up, but the bear's in charge for now.

framer