Dining Reservations

bogey

For Konningsdam veterans: how necessary us it to make specialty restaurant dining reservations in advance? We like to wait until we are on board to see how things seem to be set for the cruise. However, on one occasion (on one of the older, smaller ships), we found Pinnacle fully booked for the entire cruise.

For Konningsdam veterans: how necessary us it to make specialty restaurant dining reservations in advance? We like to wait until we are on board to see how things seem to be set for the cruise. However, on one occasion (on one of the older, smaller ships), we found Pinnacle fully booked for the entire cruise.

Depending on the length of your cruise, you could find it difficult to get the time/day you desire if you wait until you are on board. We usually make our reservations in advance (attempting to work around Gala nights in the MDR and our itinerary), then once we’re on board, we verify if it’s still the night we want and make changes if necessary. And we also love the Tamarind (even more than Pinnacle Grill), so if you’ve never eaten at the Tamarind, I highly recommend It!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We found it a bit of a problem on the Koningsdam to get our 5-star discounts credited to the dinners we booked and paid for before the cruise. The next time, I think we will just wait until we are on board and hope for the best!

We found it a bit of a problem on the Koningsdam to get our 5-star discounts credited to the dinners we booked and paid for before the cruise. The next time, I think we will just wait until we are on board and hope for the best!

Sorry you’ve had issue. We always check for the credit on our last day and bring our pre-cruise reservation paperwork just in case. We’ve never had an issue getting the credit applied, and usually it shows up automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the same issue on the same cruise Ann, but we did get the credit. (I got the issue rectified quickly when I "clued in" and did a feedback form on the Navigator.)

I would be reluctant to wait until I was on board to book on certain ships. On our cruise, the first segment's PG was totally sold out by the second day. I met some of the upset 5* mariners who couldn't get their dinners as they had waited to book when they were onboard.:eek:

Sorry you’ve had issue. We always check for the credit on our last day and bring our pre-cruise reservation paperwork just in case. We’ve never had an issue getting the credit applied, and usually it shows up automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lucky you. Not our experience even after visiting Guest Services numerous times during the cruise. Recent 14 day cruise on Eurodam, dined ten times at Specialty Restaurants, all pre booked; had to make an accounting spreadsheet with over 70 postings to substantiate credit due; forward to HAL accounting. I did get a nice cabin credit on my next cruise due to issue.

Does any of the experienced HAL specialty diners know if you can book ahead for lunch at the Pinnacle Grill on sea days?

Thank you

Bobbie

Does any of the experienced HAL specialty diners know if you can book ahead for lunch at the Pinnacle Grill on sea days?

Thank you

Bobbie

No you can't, Bobbie.

You need to wait until you are onboard to book the PG lunch.

You will find that a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill is frequently given free as part of promotions. Those dinners are assigned by HAL prior to sailing. For that reason if you do not make reservations prior to boarding you will find the times available extremely limited or nonexistent. You must pay in full when you make reservations online but HAL will reimburse qualifying mariners overcharges on your onboard account.

We had the same issue on the same cruise Ann, but we did get the credit. (I got the issue rectified quickly when I "clued in" and did a feedback form on the Navigator.)

I would be reluctant to wait until I was on board to book on certain ships. On our cruise, the first segment's PG was totally sold out by the second day. I met some of the upset 5* mariners who couldn't get their dinners as they had waited to book when they were onboard.:eek:

Prinsendam was different from Koningsdam - but on Koningsdam there are so many specialty restaurants, it might be easier to wait and book on board; I know on Prinsendam there were a lot of 5-star passengers, getting 3 free dinners each in the Pinnacle, which really clogged the reservations. Then, the difficulty was separating the free dinners from the half-price dinners.

In our experience, you are offered more choices of dining times when you book ahead. Once onboard, they seem to try to stick to just a couple of seatings, and those seatings may not be what you want. One time, we overheard a couple in the PG discussing how they couldn't understand why they were offered only a certain designated time, when in fact the restaurant had been quite empty all evening and they should have had their choice of times.

For this reason, we always book ahead. We like to dine at 7 pm. What can I say -- we're fussy.

YMMV. Not sure if this is the way reservations are handled on all ships.

We've sailed Kdam twice and both times waited until we were onboard. They have a desk across from Sel de Mer to make the Reservations for all the Restaurants and sell the Dine Around Package there. We like 8 pm so maybe that's why we never had any issues as opposed to the earlier times.

One time, we overheard a couple in the PG discussing how they couldn't understand why they were offered only a certain designated time, when in fact the restaurant had been quite empty all evening and they should have had their choice of times.
I think we've never eaten in a PG that was more than about 1/2 capacity. I believe that sometimes they may not have enough staff to provide the service level they want to maintain if the restaurant is full.

Make sure you have dinner at the Culinary Arts Center. When we were on in May, the fee was $15 per person and well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Prinsendam was different from Koningsdam - but on Koningsdam there are so many specialty restaurants, it might be easier to wait and book on board; I know on Prinsendam there were a lot of 5-star passengers, getting 3 free dinners each in the Pinnacle, which really clogged the reservations. Then, the difficulty was separating the free dinners from the half-price dinners.

Oh apologies Ann, I thought you were talking about the P'dam sailing.

With the King's multiple restaurants it most likely would be easier I would think.

I think we've never eaten in a PG that was more than about 1/2 capacity. I believe that sometimes they may not have enough staff to provide the service level they want to maintain if the restaurant is full.

We've never seen it very full either. I never thought about the staffing before. Makes sense.