4th of July and Canada Day.

nana51

I've been aboard a HAL ship a few times over Canada Day, including last year. There has always been a private party, or reception, for Canadian guests. I don't know the exact nature of the party, as (not being Canadian) I wasn't invited. But there was a recognition.

We did a one week Inside Passage on Zuiderdam, 2014, that included both days

Canada Day in Skagway, Lido Bar and half of pool area closed off to Canadians for about and hour in the evening for 2-for-1 drinks and Dive In, lots of Canadian flags, coupleCanadian flag design cakes in the Lido buffet, decorations.

Fourth of July, afternoon BBQ at Lido Pool, a lot of American flags of many sizes and a couple big cakes in the Lido buffet with an American flag on one, eagle on other, American beer drink specials.

It was a fairly basic recognition of both days, but it would have been hard to not notice that HAL was putting some attempt into it if you were onboard given the flags, notices in the daily schedules, and drink specials which were pretty much announced at all bars.

I've been aboard a HAL ship a few times over Canada Day, including last year. There has always been a private party, or reception, for Canadian guests. I don't know the exact nature of the party, as (not being Canadian) I wasn't invited. But there was a recognition.

I've sailed in Alaska over both holidays. For Canada Day any special festivity is determined by how many Canadians are on board. As such, there was nothing for us. For the 4th of July there were blue, red and while balloons forming an arch outside the main dining room and a big cake.

We have sailed over both holidays.

For the Canadians, there was a small party in the Crow's Nest -- don't know if their drinks were free or they had to pay for them.

On the 4th of July -- little flags in the Lido and a couple of special cakes. Same thing in the main dining room -- little flags on all the tables. Nothing else.

I interpreted "they" as HAL's ship crews.

Yes, you are correct. I just assumed since I was on HAL boards people would know I was talking about the ships. To be more accurate, Eurodam

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you are correct. I just assumed since I was on HAL boards people would know I was talking about the ships. To be more accurate, Eurodam

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was a very reasonable assumption :)

I have been on HAL for July 4th many times. They always had a nice barbeque but I doubt they will now. :rolleyes:

I haven't been on HAL for Canada Day (hey, it's summer here and it doesn't last long) ;) but..

Thanksgiving day for Canadians is celebrated on board.

And for our last number of cruises, there has been a Canadian night when we were invited to join others to meet and socialize. There were officerss, munchies and free drinks.

This was as recent as our May, 2018 cruise.

Now, I'm not sure if it varies by the number of Canadians.

But it was a nice affair.

Canada Day:

Around the Lido pool as has been mentioned or in the CN (which would move now to Billboard Onboard, I suspect, on those ships that have it).

Nice, low key reception, not much in the way of red and white clothing, as we're not like the Dutch with their orange outfits. Pity, as that is something to see!

MDR had a "Canadian" menu, but I can't remember much about it except for some salmon.

Hi fellow cruisers !

Happy Canada Day to come !

Ask for a "poutine" a special Quebec dish.

I remember while on Veendam depart from Quebec City to Boston there was a "Poutine shack" by the Lido pool.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Onboard the Koningsdam in nine days.

Hi fellow cruisers !

Happy Canada Day to come !

Ask for a "poutine" a special Quebec dish.

I remember while on Veendam depart from Quebec City to Boston there was a "Poutine shack" by the Lido pool.

Holacanada from Quebec City

Onboard the Koningsdam in nine days.

We experienced the "Poutine Shack" on the Maasdam on a Boston - Montreal cruise. I've enjoyed a lot of poutine over the years as a native Québécois, but the selection of poutine on the Maasdam was the best I've experienced.