Butler/Suite - first time and a little disappointed NCL Jade

Siobhanl

I've never been given a "butler and concierge don't get any of the daily service charge" chat on board.

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems as though there was a card or note left in the room along with the debarkation information that mentions it?

This happens all the time, as some folks are either really needy or they really want to get their money's worth. I'm just the opposite, I barely use the Butler, which I guess evens things out on my cruises.

We rarely use a butler also...but here is a prime example of what can happen...

Last year, on another cruiseline, we met a delightful,elderly couple next door to us. We met because our balcony's were next to each other.

Towards the end of the cruise, the gentleman said....Boy, have we been demanding of the butler. The 2nd night, my wife's back starting giving her a lot of trouble so we have been having ALL our meals in the cabin & using him for other services, but it is OK because I am going to reward him at the end.

Bottom line...how nice to give the butler a nice tip. However, that couple used more than their fair share of a 'shared' butler.

Not their fault & I do not blame them. Just pointing out that the butlers are not always available at you demand.

I once had a butler tell me he had 14 additional suites on the first day. That didnt go well!....Concierge fixed that problem immediately with a different butler.Can you imagine any company telling their customer I have too many other customers to help you? He is your employee for the week. Also you should never have been turned down for dinner or breakfast in your room. That's one of the best perks of a suite.

i have had the pleasure of staying in a suite on four occasions and had good to fantastic butlers all four times.

first time, we got breakfast delivered on most port days, didnt really have anything else other than the snack rota. But i wasnt really aware of what you could have done by your butler nor did he really offer much beyond the basics. second time, we did a lot of pizza orders, but did use the courtyard valet for lunch deliveries. we also had a nightly cheese plate delivered and asked for the mini fridge emptied and replaced with water and lemons. third time was the same as second time. last and fourth time we did pizza and late night eats several times, had dinner in suite once, and i think breakfast just twice, plus the cheese plate, water, lemons, etc.

id personally never have my butler unpack for me or make me coffee, etc. that seems odd and needy to me and almost taking advantage of what is a shared service.

We rarely use a butler also...but here is a prime example of what can happen...

Last year, on another cruiseline, we met a delightful,elderly couple next door to us. We met because our balcony's were next to each other.

Towards the end of the cruise, the gentleman said....Boy, have we been demanding of the butler. The 2nd night, my wife's back starting giving her a lot of trouble so we have been having ALL our meals in the cabin & using him for other services, but it is OK because I am going to reward him at the end.

Bottom line...how nice to give the butler a nice tip. However, that couple used more than their fair share of a 'shared' butler.

Not their fault & I do not blame them. Just pointing out that the butlers are not always available at you demand.

Of course, there are folks that really need help, because of a health issue, etc., but there are also a lot who just want to get their money's worth.

I was standing in line at guest services once and there was a woman in front of me that had a long list of needs/demands that she wanted filled. The front desk person did what they could but then mentioned the butler and concierge for the other things. The woman was OK with this because she had the phone they give you to call the suites in her purse and took it out and started dialing for services...and this was during the first hours on the first day. I know because our key cards had to be remade as they didn't work so it was early on the first day. (Un)lucky for me she had the same butler as me and I never saw him. One thing I heard (from our butler)was she had two children with her and two strollers and was traveling with someone who I guess took off to have some time of their own. So she was having him push one of the strollers everywhere for her??? Following her like a nanny haha I think that is sort of too much to ask.

I guess everyone's perception of what might be "demanding" is different! I was scrolling through some posts on P&O's board. A woman there posted that she downgraded her room atendant's survey score to a poor rating because he folded her nightgown and put it in the drawer instead of under or on her bed pillow. I'd never leave my clothes out in a way that the butler or room steward had to put them away to clean the room so I'm not going to feel like I'm acting overly entitled when I enjoy a little pampering with occasional food requests.

The fact that the DSC is HIGHER for suites creates (IMHO) the perception that no additional tipping is needed because of that higher charge. It would be nice if the tipping expectation was MUCH more prominent. Or even something along the lines of "Haven 101" left in cabins that covers issues like why the DSC is higher, tipping butler & concierge and anyone else (ie who is and isn't part of DSC?), reasonable and unreasonable butler requests, and other items that people learn about via CC or word of mouth, or simply are unaware of.

It would be a shame if someone who would otherwise tip doesn't, because they assume the higher DSC covers ALL CY staff. That was actually my first reaction as well, "No more "normal expectations" tipping!" until I did a little more reading and learned that wasn't the case at all. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of other cruisers didn't read as much as we on CC do, and inadvertently didn't tip because they didn't realize they "should".

And for the super needy Haven-ites - not sure what should be done, but the butler shouldn't be penalized over this type of thing--AND pax with reasonable expectations should have them met, rather than one needy pax (or two) monopolizing a shared resource.

I think it is entirely possible for a person to be unaware that the butler and conceirge are not included in NCL's tipping system. I found out when our butler came in on day 6 to give me the speech on how they were not part of NCL's tipping scheme. It was part of our "how to get ready for your departure speech."

Our best butler (Lani) on Epic made it the FIRST thing she said to us while introducing ourselves. Its a shame they have to say it but some people don't know.

The fact that the DSC is HIGHER for suites creates (IMHO) the perception that no additional tipping is needed because of that higher charge. It would be nice if the tipping expectation was MUCH more prominent. Or even something along the lines of "Haven 101" left in cabins that covers issues like why the DSC is higher, tipping butler & concierge and anyone else (ie who is and isn't part of DSC?), reasonable and unreasonable butler requests, and other items that people learn about via CC or word of mouth, or simply are unaware of.

It would be a shame if someone who would otherwise tip doesn't, because they assume the higher DSC covers ALL CY staff. That was actually my first reaction as well, "No more "normal expectations" tipping!" until I did a little more reading and learned that wasn't the case at all. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of other cruisers didn't read as much as we on CC do, and inadvertently didn't tip because they didn't realize they "should".

And for the super needy Haven-ites - not sure what should be done, but the butler shouldn't be penalized over this type of thing--AND pax with reasonable expectations should have them met, rather than one needy pax (or two) monopolizing a shared resource.

Great post!

Why don’t NCL pay the staff correctly, then the worldwide tipping issue wouldn’t excise. In the U.K. we pay about £400 more upfront for DSC.

That’s a thought Discresonary Service Charge? Says it all

I love traveling in suites & I utilize my butlers' services as often as I can without a single ounce of guilt.

The issue of a single butler having to cover 14 suites is NCL's issue. When people reduce their expectations and use this service LESS, it enables NCL to continue to assign 14 suites to each butler. If the current butler/passenger ratio is too much, it is the responsibility of the Concierge (as manager of the butler staff) to address this with the Hotel Director and GET MORE STAFF.

So, if you use your butler heavily, don't feel guilty (just be sure to tip accordingly.) But don't NOT use the butler to help him/her, because who you are really helping is NCL who gladly took your extra Haven/suite cruise fare after promising you personalized butler service but then doesn't have to hire adequate staff to deliver the service because you "don't want to be a bother."

I love traveling in suites & I utilize my butlers' services as often as I can without a single ounce of guilt.

The issue of a single butler having to cover 14 suites is NCL's issue. When people reduce their expectations and use this service LESS, it enables NCL to continue to assign 14 suites to each butler. If the current butler/passenger ratio is too much, it is the responsibility of the Concierge (as manager of the butler staff) to address this with the Hotel Director and GET MORE STAFF.

So, if you use your butler heavily, don't feel guilty (just be sure to tip accordingly.) But don't NOT use the butler to help him/her, because who you are really helping is NCL who gladly took your extra Haven/suite cruise fare after promising you personalized butler service but then doesn't have to hire adequate staff to deliver the service because you "don't want to be a bother."

i agree with this. but some things that people use the butler for are just a tad crazy to me.

pcakes, how to deal with butler like OP talked about, who is "too busy" to do more than bring a meal at his choice of times, and is relatively unavailable or who makes pax feel guilty because of 14 suites? Realistically, NCL doesn't have more staff to deploy on any given sailing....Recommendations pls? I am one who would feel like OP did, ticked because I was anticipating that with reasonable advanced notice I could take advantage of in suite dining, and guilty about being demanding when, if I want to have my meals on my balcony, that's exactly what I'm paying for in the first place! And believe me I'd be apologizing for inconveniencing that butler, rather than putting my foot down!!

(yes, an appropriate tip based on demands is a given)

i agree with this. but some things that people use the butler for are just a tad crazy to me.

The thing is that everyone is different in terms of how much assistance they either need or feel comfortable accepting, and so it's really a personal thing.

For example, on a cruise I always send clothes to be pressed, but I wouldn't think of sending actual laundry. On the other hand, I've had a regular housekeeper/cleaning woman at home since I was in my twenties (waaaaay before I became disabled and actually needed one!), and I can't tell you how many friends said at the time OMG how could you let someone else clean your house when you are perfectly capable? (I have a demanding career and prefer to spend my time off actually doing fun stuff other than cleaning.)

So I say to each his own on that front - but I won't allow myself to feel guilty for utilizing a service I paid for because NCL wants to keep their expenses low.

pcakes, how to deal with butler like OP talked about, who is "too busy" to do more than bring a meal at his choice of times, and is relatively unavailable or who makes pax feel guilty because of 14 suites? Realistically, NCL doesn't have more staff to deploy on any given sailing....Recommendations pls? I am one who would feel like OP did, ticked because I was anticipating that with reasonable advanced notice I could take advantage of in suite dining, and guilty about being demanding when, if I want to have my meals on my balcony, that's exactly what I'm paying for in the first place! And believe me I'd be apologizing for inconveniencing that butler, rather than putting my foot down!!

I wouldn't hesitate (in a nice, polite way) to say to the Concierge "We'd love to have dinner in our suite tomorrow night at 8, but I understand from (butler name) that he's already committed to another suite for that time. Is there someone else that might be able to assist?"

If he said "No, sorry can't help there" (which I doubt) I would probably ask if this is something that should be expected for the duration of the cruise and what his suggestions were for ensuring we could be accommodated on future requests.

Honestly, I don't think it would get that far. Any good concierge (and I haven't run into any actual "bad" ones) will just assign another butler to serve your dinner! (BTW for occasions like that - not your regular butler or a night butler - I would tip per occurrence vs. the end of the week.)

I wouldn't hesitate (in a nice, polite way) to say to the Concierge "We'd love to have dinner in our suite tomorrow night at 8, but I understand from (butler name) that he's already committed to another suite for that time. Is there someone else that might be able to assist?"

If he said "No, sorry can't help there" (which I doubt) I would probably ask if this is something that should be expected for the duration of the cruise and what his suggestions were for ensuring we could be accommodated on future requests.

Honestly, I don't think it would get that far. Any good concierge (and I haven't run into any actual "bad" ones) will just assign another butler to serve your dinner! (BTW for occasions like that - not your regular butler or a night butler - I would tip per occurrence vs. the end of the week.)

How simple and how nice! thank you, and also for the "tip" tip....

How does one tip the night butler, since it's rotating? I don't know if we'd use him/her but just for general info....

All butlers/concierge are not created equal! There are butlers that no matter how busy they are will with a smile deliver your requests without mentioning how busy they are and go out of their way to please you. There are some who for whatever reason you will barely see your entire cruise and the same goes for the concierge. I had one cruise where the Butler was mia for the entire cruise but showed up the last night looking for his tip. First time Ever and the Only time I didn't leave a tip for a butler and I still feel guilty about that! I have had some great butlers and not so great butlers. Concierge are the same. Hopefully you don't experience a poor performing Butler and concierge at the same time! But when you get a great Butler and concierge working together that's when the magic happens and also when my wallet gets emptied to reward them.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

OP - sorry you got that kind of start to your vacation and I hope you talked to your butler and or concierge and got things straightened out.

We've had nothing but excellent service from the butlers on the Jade. There shouldn't be a language barrier if you are both using English. The butlers we've had all have advanced degrees and have worked their way up or have the job because of their proven work and communication skills.

I do think they have scaled back on the number of butlers on the Jade. In 2016 I think there were at least 4 or 5 plus a night shift butler. In 2017 our Haven butler also had the deck 9 & 10 forward haven and 'S' non haven suites same side of ship as the H suites he had. Despite likely having 14 suites, he was very accommodating with getting us anything we wanted, when we wanted it and it always arrived as requested.

It certainly isn't demanding to want room service. One of the big luxuries of sailing in a full suite on NCL is the ability to have a specialty dinner served to your room after a long day in port, a great breakfast on a sea day... These services are heavily advertised. Butlers on the Jade have told me to just to write down what we want for breakfast and time we want. I think they get off work at 9 pm so I've made sure to write down what I want for breakfast and get to them prior to them getting off for the night. If I want specialty dinners delivered after a long port day I'll tell him day of or make arrangements at the beginning of sailing to leave a note by the espresso machine (they tend to it daily), if I want something and when I want it.

re boarding. I think the concierge usually assigns available butlers and a few extra staff to assist with boarding. Sometimes this is an individual process and sometimes it's with a group depending on how many are boarding at the same time. Could have been a new crew helping with the boarding and even though you shouldn't have to ask for help with your bags, if you are in need of help best to ask if not offered instead of getting upset.

How simple and how nice! thank you, and also for the "tip" tip....

How does one tip the night butler, since it's rotating? I don't know if we'd use him/her but just for general info....

I've never used the night butler but from what butlers have told me is that they rotate the duties every couple weeks. When they have night duty they don't get a lot of calls. I'd likely tip them upon receipt of service, just like I would tip room service at a hotel. I would think it would be for something fairly basic - likely not a full on dinner at 3 am but in case someone had terrible jet lag, was starving... you could likely get a sandwich or something along those lines. Also if you had a room problem. ie something broken in the room or above you banging around/not tied down preventing sleep. I just called guest services when this happened but had butler tell me next day to call the butler if the issue happened again because they wanted to make sure it was addressed immediately.

All butlers/concierge are not created equal! There are butlers that no matter how busy they are will with a smile deliver your requests without mentioning how busy they are and go out of their way to please you. There are some who for whatever reason you will barely see your entire cruise and the same goes for the concierge. I had one cruise where the Butler was mia for the entire cruise but showed up the last night looking for his tip. First time Ever and the Only time I didn't leave a tip for a butler and I still feel guilty about that! I have had some great butlers and not so great butlers. Concierge are the same. Hopefully you don't experience a poor performing Butler and concierge at the same time! But when you get a great Butler and concierge working together that's when the magic happens and also when my wallet gets emptied to reward them.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

How would you deal with something like that? That's another scenario I'm not sure how to handle - either way, when they deserve the tip or when they don't. I would think I'd leave the tip the last morning? Or I guess I should be prepared the night before? I haven't done big boats since 2011 and I think the last time I left the concierge with two envelopes, one for him & one for butler.