Waterproof shoes

jha112

You could spray some waterproofing on existing shoes...they won't be "water proof", but will be water RESISTANT.....that should be good enough, unless you're planning on hiking no matter the weather! If you're simply taking some form of transport, you should be fine in regular shoes.

We've used the L.L. Bean footwear for cruises such as Alaska, the VOV, harbor cruises/whale watches & deep sea fishing outings during colder/wet weather. And, of course, we use here at the house for major rainstorms & light snows. I've used the 6"' (see link below) and have been 'pondering' a purchase of the lower cut Mocks over the past year or so. I have larger waterproof Keen boots for deeper snows, etc.

Here's a link, if interested, in the L.L. Bean line:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31178?page=mens-llbean-boots-6in&csp=a&feat=89409-item_page.recsmiddle

The 6" (be sure to order one size down) do weigh around 3#/pair so that may be a consideration for you. Otherwise the Bean quality is great. They often have sales (like the 4th of July, etc.) and I would use a L.L Bean Visa also to ensure free returns for exchanges/refunds (plus they used to have a purchase points thingy you could use for future purchases).

They used to have a lifetime warranty for any reason but I guess they changed that this past February to one year for any reason only and workmanship/materials problems for the remaining 'lifetime'.

There's always lighter weight hiking shoes, pull over rubber boots (low and high cut) that will provide you with "dry tootsies" during inclement weather.

Regardless of your decision, have yourselves a wonderful cruise.

Be well.

Bob:)

You may also need to think about how you will dry out dampened shoes for comfortable wearing the next day if they are only "water resistant" and not water proof - I hung my dampened "water resistent" Romika leather hiking boots from magnetic hooks hung from the metal ceilings by the ventilation outlet. Agree, LL Bean has a good selection for both kinds of footwear. Make sure they have good slip resistant soles too.

I wear my Merrill waterproof hiking boots on the plane. They take up no space in my luggage.

I have also worn Merrill waterproof hiking boots - low cut in the suitcase and mid height on the plane for several cruises to Alaska; the most recent Alaskan cruise was in Johnston and Murphy waterproof XC4 boots - incredible boots!

Whatever you choose to do, a good plan is at least one good pair of waterproof shoes!

Edited by DaKa2002
Add info

I wear my Merrill waterproof hiking boots on the plane. They take up no space in my luggage.

Gore-tex Merrill shoes get my vote. Mine weigh only 11 ounces. My LL Bean boots weigh 2 1/2 pounds, don't breath, and are gathering dust in the closet.

Gore-tex Merrill shoes get my vote. Mine weigh only 11 ounces. My LL Bean boots weigh 2 1/2 pounds, don't breath, and are gathering dust in the closet.

Hiking boots are necessary for serious backpacking when the carried weight requires the extra support, but today's hiking shoes are more than adequate for most day hikes. Merrill Gore-tex-lined are my choice too.

Been on several cruises to Alaska and never needed more than sneakers/tennis shoes for the activities I've done there. Everything from hiking to dog sledding to river rafting and glacier walking. I did dispose of a few pairs at the end of the cruises as they had become unserviceable but I had anticipated doing so and brought some well used shoes. I only took boots once when I rented motorcycles and had long day rides in different ports. Never found any need for anything more than sneakers but that's just MHO.

Are waterproof shoes a necessity for an Alaskan cruise?We are planning active excursions—whale watch, glacier, misty fjords.

We’ve been on the three excursions you mentioned, and didn’t need any special footgear. But we saw the glacier, and didn’t walk on it.

We just did the boat tours.

If your shoes get wet, an old trick is to stuff them with newspaper to let them dry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I already have waterproof hiking boots that I will wear on the plane from Florida. If I didn't already have them, I would be looking at hiking shoes or just taking a chance on older sneakers.

I always overpack but will be forced by that weight limit on luggage to be more careful which is why those boots will be on my feet LOL

What I am wondering is will I be able wear my traditional Florida footwear of flip flops on board or will it be too chilly?