Moderno lunch buffet

They had the sea day lunch buffet at Moderno on the Breakaway last year. We didn’t notice it until our cruise was almost over, but we liked it. On the Breakaway they had it listed in the dining options section of the daily schedule. One day was Mexican. One day was Italian. We wished we had known sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No worries. I'm the same way. I know what I mean in my head so everyone else should too. Hehe. ;)

The Daily will have the specialty lunches. In full disclosure we have never been but we have seen everything from Italian to German to Mexican advertised for the Moderno lunch buffet in the larger ships. On another ship, LaCucina was used instead of Moderno as an FYI.

Yes, on the Getaway, they set up special themed lunch buffets in the area between Moderno and Cagney's. We unfortunately found this out late in the cruise which was a shame because it was REALLY good. We made it to an indian themed one and it was unlike any other of the dishes up in the buffet. I suggest seeking out these lunches on sea days. You will usually see NCL wait staff hold signs up with the theme of the day on a few decks.

I’ve read that Moderno offers a complimentary lunch buffet on sea days. Is that true and how do you know once your aboard what days it’s going On? We are first time cruisers!

You can find the Moderno lunch buffet theme in your daily newsletter. I can remember Mexican, Italian, Indian and German themed lunches. Some of them were quite good.

I’ve read that Moderno offers a complimentary lunch buffet on sea days. Is that true and how do you know once your aboard what days it’s going On? We are first time cruisers!

So,,,, as a frequent cruiser, let me be blunt. It is an themed overflow buffet trying to feed as many people outside the main buffet as possible. If we are doing buffets, the Garden Cafe is far superior to the “cobbled together” buffet in Moderno. The following links have a couple of pictures of the Moderno buffet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53183384&postcount=30

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53220858&postcount=160

We checked out the Mexican buffet, grabbed a couple of chips, and went to the Sushi for lunch.

We love the Indian buffet in Moderno and would never miss it. MUCH better than what’s offered in the buffet and a MUCH better vibe.

It's the exact same dishes offered in the Indian section of the regular buffet.

This is completely false. The buffet upstairs probably has 3-4 indian dishes in their little section. In the lunch buffet in Moderno, it is a FULL buffet with at least 10+ dishes and a lot of appetizers and dessert.

The Moderno buffet is not just an overflow with scraps, to get people away from the Garden Cafe. It is a full themed, full service buffet in a really nice location with plenty of seating, even for large groups. I've seen tables with 10+ people sitting together as a family -- something that is impossible in the Garden Cafe.

This is completely false. The buffet upstairs probably has 3-4 indian dishes in their little section. In the lunch buffet in Moderno, it is a FULL buffet with at least 10+ dishes and a lot of appetizers and dessert.

Not my experience, but we were likely on different sailings. Thanks for sharing.

Can you take your buffet food from Moderno out onto The Waterfront? We are booked in a mini-suite on deck 8 and this would seem to be much easier for us than going up to Garden Cafe. My wife and I do not normally eat much at lunch, so anything easy is good enough for us.

Can you take your buffet food from Moderno out onto The Waterfront? We are booked in a mini-suite on deck 8 and this would seem to be much easier for us than going up to Garden Cafe. My wife and I do not normally eat much at lunch, so anything easy is good enough for us.

Sure, I remember one day on the Breakaway they had an Umpa band playing and a small pig (head and all) on the Cagneys side.

I wish the Epic did this.

No, it is not. At least, not on the Breakaway or Getaway. There have been several different curries, tandor chicken, Indian sweets, samosas, various naans & roti, chutneys & raita every time. Just this March, we chatted with the chef and expressed our appreciation; he was genuinely proud of what he'd put together which was delicious.

Is this on the Escape as well? It sounds great! :D

Unfortunately no.

The Escape does have some other lunch options for sea days that most ships don't, but they are an extra charge. Food Republic and Pincho Tapas are very nice choices for lunch on at sea days.

(And there is Margaritaville for lunch.....but that's a very unpopular for the price option. If you haven't read about it already, there are several threads on the subject.)

Unfortunately no.

The Escape does have some other lunch options for sea days that most ships don't, but they are an extra charge. Food Republic and Pincho Tapas are very nice choices for lunch on at sea days.

(And there is Margaritaville for lunch.....but that's a very unpopular for the price option. If you haven't read about it already, there are several threads on the subject.)

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. All of those other options are great, and we'll try them all (even Margaritaville ;)), but was hoping for another included meal.