When Will We Know More About the Magic Carpet Dinner on The Edge?

vtcruising

I've been looking at info about Dinner on the Edge and have found many different descriptions and varying seating numbers. Here are some of the press releases:

"Dinner on the Edge (Deck 16); Price Not Yet Revealed: Offered only once or twice per cruise, this ultra-exclusive dinner will be held on the Magic Carpet when it's situated on Deck 16. Along with stunning views out over the ocean, the venue will offer meals sourced by the chef at a port along Celebrity Edge's sailing."

"At dinnertime on select nights, the Magic Carpet will become an exclusive, small-capacity restaurant on Deck 16, with meals created using ingredients sourced by the chef in a destination visited during the cruise."

"Also on Magic Carpet will be Dinner on the Edge with menus that will be locally sourced, with an onboard chef going into local markets to pick up ingredients."

"When on Deck 16, a 'Dinner on the Edge' experience for up to 100 people will hinge on the destinations visited, with the night's menu built around the chef's local market purchase. Concepts could be a 'bubbles and barbecue' experience or a white party theme."

"And in the evenings, the Magic Carpet will anchor at Deck 16, where it’ll become a fine dining restaurant that's cantilevered over the sea. Said Lutoff-Perlo: “Where else in the world can you get this experience, sitting 16 stories above the sea, dining by moonlight with a view of Barcelona?”

The Magic Carpet venue will be like dining on the French Riviera. “You're out in this beautiful venue overlooking the ocean and that was the inspiration,” Gallagher said. “The offering on the menus is going to be sort of what you might find in a resort in San Tropez.”

Here are some pictures:

enhance

enhance

It sounds nice and I would like to try it (hopefully no vertigo out there). ;) I've been looking at the pictures and trying to discern exactly what Dinner on the Edge is and how many people will be seated for each experience.

To me, small-capacity and ultra-exclusive is not 100 people. Maybe some of the press releases above were confused by the maximum capacity when it's a bar on 14 or the MC Restaurant on 5, which I have seen 90-100 seats listed (I saw one brochure about selling the venue for the night for 71 seats max). The pictures look more like 24 seats, but who knows if that is accurate.

I saw it described in one press release about Dinner on the Edge as a Chef's Table type event, but couldn't find it again to include here. That's how I've been picturing it - an event with approx. 20-24 people, offered 1-2 times per cruise, possibly with a theme, as discussed in one of the press releases above. Chef's Table events are usually now booked by asking in Michael's or Luminae, Blu of MDR maitre d' if they were going to have one (I haven't done a Chef's Table on X, but our friends have done it on some X cruises we were on and we have done it on Royal).

I imagine that it will have a hefty price tag. One person on CC mentioned that Dinner on the Edge may be associated with the Chef's Market Discovery tours and be the place where the dinner is served later on the day of the tour. Those are pretty small groups, with a hefty price. We've done one before and it was wonderful, but they are $199-$249 PP. I could see that as a possibility for one dinner a week.

Here is one on one of my cruises:

"Chef's Market Discoveries - Mayan Flavors and Private Dinner

Cozumel, Mexico $199

Overview

Unlock the flavors and secrets of Mayan culture on this intimate sensory journey to Cozumel’s most unique culinary destinations. Accompany our Celebrity Chef on a visit to Cozumel’s lively local market. Stroll the stalls of produce, Mexican herbs and spices, and fresh-caught fish. Our onboard chef will help you hand-select the freshest ingredients. Then, enjoy a scenic drive to the Mayan Cacao Company. Discover the fascinating origins of cacao and learn more about the chocolate manufacturing process, followed by a tasting of the luscious finished product. Visit a traditional Mayan house with thatched roof and botanic garden. Take part in an exclusive cooking demonstration where you’ll discover Mayan traditions, mysteries, and cuisine. Next, you’ll travel to an exclusive local restaurant where you’ll awaken your palate to the gourmet flavors that characterize Yucatán cuisine. Our expert guide will introduce you to a specially-prepared “Yucatán trilogy.” Enjoy three different flavored Panuchos. A Panucho is a delicious fried tortilla overflowing with black beans, topped with pickled red onions, meats, avocado, and tomato. Sample taco cochinita pibil and a lovely ceviche. Then, view the Sea Wall Murals created by world-renowned contemporary artists. Back on the ship, at the appointed time, you’ll meet our onboard chef for a fascinating tour of the galley, followed by an intimate chef-hosted dinner of Mayan treasures. Savor Mayan-inspired flavors while learning more about the world of culinary arts. This is a uniquely hands-on dinner featuring flavors and ingredients from the day’s exploration. The journey continues on board, where you’ll taste the Modern Luxury version of the day’s culinary adventure."

Anyway, does anyone have any further info? They keep saying to book Dinner on the Edge onboard so maybe we won't know until we actually cruise. :D

Yes, I Am very interested in this as well... especially if I can have a 'full' vegan meal prepared as well.. that would be so great!

Listening and smelling and tasting!

bon voyage

Yes, I Am very interested in this as well... especially if I can have a 'full' vegan meal prepared as well.. that would be so great!

Listening and smelling and tasting!

bon voyage

If it's the chef is using locally sourced ingredients (and not following any set menu), I would hope they could serve you a spectacular vegan dinner. It does look beautiful out there! :D

If it's the chef is using locally sourced ingredients (and not following any set menu), I would hope they could serve you a spectacular vegan dinner. It does look beautiful out there! :D

Don’t forget the meals in Luminae were supposed to be locally sourced. Not sure many would agree with that.

Don’t forget the meals in Luminae were supposed to be locally sourced. Not sure many would agree with that.

So true, the locally-sourced catch phrase never turned into a reality in Luminae.

The chef told us that he sent his assistant ashore to gather fresh fish, veggies and fruits for our Chef's Market dinner in St Marten, but who knows? Let's hope they will actually do it with Dinner on the Edge, since we will pay a premium price, I'm sure.

As I pointed out in earlier threads I’m extremely skeptical about the whole Dinner on the Edge concept.

The Magic Carpet doesn’t appear to have a kitchen. Where will this marvelous meal be prepared. And how will it be transported to the restaurant? I pictured Chinese food takeout boxes but perhaps not.

Nor does Magic Carpet have running water. Not a hand washing station in sight. Neither for the guests nor for the servers. I can’t picture the public health department allowing that.

And how will the guests access it? Up the stairs? Up the jogging track? Supposedly the elevator access to deck 15 and 16 will be by key card (or equivalent?) but assuming they give the diners some sort of elevator pass then it’s still then a potentially windy walk across the open deck. Let’s hope no sudden rain shower appears during this expensive and exclusive meal.

The whole idea seems half baked. Let’s hope the food isn’t.

As I pointed out in earlier threads I’m extremely skeptical about the whole Dinner on the Edge concept.

The Magic Carpet doesn’t appear to have a kitchen. Where will this marvelous meal be prepared. And how will it be transported to the restaurant? I pictured Chinese food takeout boxes but perhaps not.

Nor does Magic Carpet have running water. Not a hand washing station in sight. Neither for the guests nor for the servers. I can’t picture the public health department allowing that.

And how will the guests access it? Up the stairs? Up the jogging track? Supposedly the elevator access to deck 15 and 16 will be by key card (or equivalent?) but assuming they give the diners some sort of elevator pass then it’s still then a potentially windy walk across the open deck. Let’s hope no sudden rain shower appears during this expensive and exclusive meal.

The whole idea seems half baked. Let’s hope the food isn’t.

LOL - let's hope they know what they are doing!

I forgot to post this picture in the original post. Though a weird picture with Richard Fain standing there, this angle gave me a feeling of what it might be like hanging out that high above the ocean.

enhance

I keep wondering how cruise lines manage to sell overpriced menus to customers who have (speaking especially for Celebrity) various other choices onboard that are by no means wayyyyy worse then what they will get for 30,00 $ +++.

Tried specialty restaurants before within special offers and found them hardly worth any extra penny.

Keeps fascinating me.

For Magic Carpet, it surely will be an a-m-a-z-i-n-g experience. And I would maybe throw in those 30 bucks, yes. But not like 50 or even 100 +. Crazy stuff.

I keep wondering how cruise lines manage to sell overpriced menus to customers who have (speaking especially for Celebrity) various other choices onboard that are by no means wayyyyy worse then what they will get for 30,00 $ +++.

Tried specialty restaurants before within special offers and found them hardly worth any extra penny.

Keeps fascinating me.

For Magic Carpet, it surely will be an a-m-a-z-i-n-g experience. And I would maybe throw in those 30 bucks, yes. But not like 50 or even 100 +. Crazy stuff.

Actually, they do not sell to us as opposed to we choose to purchase based on what we think the value is.

If we do not think there is value, we move to something else on-board and this is especially a value proposition for me, as I Am a vegan and when speaking to the Maitre d' about what will be served, they either up the proposition or lower the price, in my case.

MC is purported or listed at $199.00 for the experience, I most definitely want to do that and will speak with the Head Chef and Maitre d' and F&B Manager before the ship sails about either the 'planned' vegan options or pricing adjustment. Either way, we will enjoy our meal there, for sure without hesitancy.

All is well on-board at that point.

bon voyage

Thanks, Nemanoxer, for making me rethink the prices a bit. With the Edge, I tend to want to try almost everything once and have not let the higher specialty prices be part of the decision process. It was good to step back from "the edge" for a moment and think about it.

After thinking about it more, I guess I have to agree with Bo, in that if I find enough value in something at a certain price, I will go for it. I do have a certain price point in mind, though, that I won't go over.

We work long hours and live in a rural area where we can't dine on locally sourced (or even locally inspired) Caribbean food 13 stories above the ocean on a starry night, so this will be a memorable adventure for us. Like good seats to a popular Broadway show, it will be pricey, but something we will likely never forget. :D

Thanks, Nemanoxer, for making me rethink the prices a bit. With the Edge, I tend to want to try almost everything once and have not let the higher specialty prices be part of the decision process. It was good to step back from "the edge" for a moment and think about it.

After thinking about it more, I guess I have to agree with Bo, in that if I find enough value in something at a certain price, I will go for it. I do have a certain price point in mind, though, that I won't go over.

We work long hours and live in a rural area where we can't dine on locally sourced (or even locally inspired) Caribbean food 13 stories above the ocean on a starry night, so this will be a memorable adventure for us. Like good seats to a popular Broadway show, it will be pricey, but something we will likely never forget. :D

Excellent point.

And it helps me get my head around my husband's viewpoint. When five of us cruised last October, he was the one who chose NOT to attend the Broadway production of Come from Away, which had gotten rave reviews, deservedly so.

I'm thinking I'll dine on the Edge without him.

Excellent point.

And it helps me get my head around my husband's viewpoint. When five of us cruised last October, he was the one who chose NOT to attend the Broadway production of Come from Away, which had gotten rave reviews, deservedly so.

I'm thinking I'll dine on the Edge without him.

Good idea! Maybe you could find some like-minded people on your roll call and could go with others. :D

Good idea! Maybe you could find some like-minded people on your roll call and could go with others. :D

:D

Actually, we're traveling with another couple, and I think we'll just split up. Two of us on the Edge, the other two wherever we had our res. that night.

I'm wondering how easy it will be to BOOK the Magic Carpet reservation. What do you think???

:D

Actually, we're traveling with another couple, and I think we'll just split up. Two of us on the Edge, the other two wherever we had our res. that night.

I'm wondering how easy it will be to BOOK the Magic Carpet reservation. What do you think???

I think it will depend upon the price and the number of people they will seat. If it is like the Chef's Table on X, they charge about $279 per couple, which includes food and wine pairing (and cookbook and picture - may be lower without cookbook), according to one recent CC post. I think they have about have about 12 people max for those, and often add another one if it fills up (going by what a friend who went to one said).

I'm thinking there may be more people for Dinner on the Edge, though not too many since they call it ultra-exclusive, but it's just a guess. If the cost is that high, it will be easier to get a reservation. My plan is to ask immediately when I board and get on the list! :D

Again, this is all speculation and I have no idea what the price will be (actually I do have an idea that it will be pricey, if it is billed as ultra-exclusive, just not sure how pricey).

Edited by vtcruising

I think it will depend upon the price and the number of people they will seat. If it is like the Chef's Table on X, they charge about $279 per couple, which includes food and wine pairing (and cookbook and picture - may be lower without cookbook), according to one recent CC post. I think they have about have about 12 people max for those, and often add another one if it fills up (going by what a friend who went to one said).

I'm thinking there may be more people for Dinner on the Edge, though not too many since they call it ultra-exclusive, but it's just a guess. If the cost is that high, it will be easier to get a reservation. My plan is to ask immediately when I board and get on the list! :D

Well, by the time we board, we'll know the cost. :o

I board on Dec. 16th, so I might even have benefit of somebody's live report. If you are cruising after I am, you'll have benefit of my report! even if I ended up not going. :eek:

Well, by the time we board, we'll know the cost. :o

I board on Dec. 16th, so I might even have benefit of somebody's live report. If you are cruising after I am, you'll have benefit of my report! even if I ended up not going. :eek:

I will be on the two 3 night preview cruises Dec 1 and Dec 6, but I suspect they won't do one on those cruises, since they will likely have bigger fish to fry, with new ship and staff. I may have to wait until my Jan 20th 7 night cruise and will await info from you and others! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Don’t know if anyone thought about this but we are going to be asked questions at ports from people on other ships. Conversation will go something like “What the he** is that thing.

LOL. I’ve thought of that so plan to carry an info sheet explaining the MC. ;) We are also going to get asked about the lopsided aft so will need my Eden Fibonacci sequence explanation as well. :D I am going to enjoy people gawking at the ship as we pull into Nassau on Dec 2!!

We usually sail Royal.... there the Captain and crew make a big deal about not throwing anything overboard. When I look at the MC I can not help but wonder how the H*LL napkins etc are going to stay put. Seems to me there is likely to be a steady stream of stuff being blown overboard. I wonder if there will be times when the MC can not be used due to high winds or high seas. I am fascinated by this thingy... combination of curiosity and skepticism. But I guess that is what they mean when they call something a disruptor.

You beat me to it. We've had many meals in Luminae and not a one was ever in locally-sourced.