When does HAL assign guarantee cabins?

CineGraphic

I’ve only booked guarantees with Princess before, and they’ve been known to assign them from as soon as you’ve booked, up until as late as the day you board.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Since HAL has become so aggressive in pushing "upsells", it has been my experience that the assignment of guarantees have moved much closer to just before sailing. It makes sense to me - try to get someone to pay you something for a better cabin (upsell) before you just give the upgrades away for free!

Last guarantee about a year ago I received 10 days out.

The cabin was the minimum that I had booked, which was fine, it was a good location. Three days later I received an upsell that was reasonable but rotten location.

When I have done guarantees have received cabin assignment anywhere from 3 weeks to two days before Sailing.

Since I started booking directly with a PCC I have been receiving my guaranteed room assignment immediately. Previously it was about 10 days out.

That is quite unusual. My friend just booked thought our shared PCC yesterday and no assignment (and he had the lowest level Inside. I will tell him to watch for it.

Our next cruise in Oct. is a first time booking a guaranteed cabin. Now the ship is showing that it is sold out, what does that mean to us?

As long as you've put down a deposit, you have a cabin somewhere on the ship which is at least at the level of your guarantee.

• Like 1

That is quite unusual. My friend just booked thought our shared PCC yesterday and no assignment (and he had the lowest level Inside. I will tell him to watch for it.

Yes, I was wondering if it was happening to anyone else. But, for the last 4 bookings, all done through my PCC, I have been assigned my room number immediately. Kind of handy. :)

Yes, I was wondering if it was happening to anyone else. But, for the last 4 bookings, all done through my PCC, I have been assigned my room number immediately. Kind of handy. :)

Your PCC is selecting your cabin for you, rather than placing the reservation as a "Guarantee".

• Like 1

We booked our July 21st Maasdam cruise in March and received our cabin assignment last week (three weeks before departure).

That's encouraging! We are on the July 29th Noordam so hopefully I'll receive our cabin assignment soon! Pins and needles!

I am curious to know how you did with these instant GUARs. Did you get the category you booked or better?

Doesn't sound as if this is the new HAL way of doing things, but I wonder....

I am curious to know how you did with these instant GUARs. Did you get the category you booked or better?

Doesn't sound as if this is the new HAL way of doing things, but I wonder....

We don’t get the lowest letter in the category so, yes, better. I don’t think it’s HAL’s new way of doing things. It’s just my PCC making sure I get a good room.

We don’t get the lowest letter in the category so, yes, better. I don’t think it’s HAL’s new way of doing things. It’s just my PCC making sure I get a good room.

I should note that I have no idea, yet, if we get a higher category in the final outcome. The first time we received the room assignment we took an upsell to a Neptune Suite. My next 3 bookings I have the room numbers already, but I won’t know the final outcome until then. If I don’t take another upsell, that is.

As long as you've put down a deposit, you have a cabin somewhere on the ship which is at least at the level of your guarantee.

^^^^^^ YES, this :)

This is not 100% correct. Occasions have occured that HAL (and other lines) have overbooked a cruise. When that happens, people get calls asking them to move a cruise with substansial benefits. It doesn't happen often any more, but it does still happen.

I should note that I have no idea, yet, if we get a higher category in the final outcome. The first time we received the room assignment we took an upsell to a Neptune Suite. My next 3 bookings I have the room numbers already, but I won’t know the final outcome until then. If I don’t take another upsell, that is.

Are you saying that pax who book through PCCs get special upsells?

My understanding of upsells is that they go out to all pax booked in the right categories (i.e. upsells for inside to outside = all insides would get that upsell offer).

Are you saying that pax who book through PCCs get special upsells?

My understanding of upsells is that they go out to all pax booked in the right categories (i.e. upsells for inside to outside = all insides would get that upsell offer).

No, but I *can* say that I never ever received an upsell offer prior to booking directly with a PCC.

No, but I *can* say that I never ever received an upsell offer prior to booking directly with a PCC.

Thanks.

There is a school of thought that a some TAs do not "bother" to pass on upsell offers.

Also, upsell offers go to the travel agency by fax or email to Reception and I know from experience that my TA had to go and retrieve a day old one from the pile by the fax machine. It had not been given to the TAs who had pax booked on the cruise in question.

One thing about booking through a PCC: the pax normally gets the upsell offer straight from HAL's computer.

There are 9 in our party and 2 of the 5 cabins were "guaranteed". We sail on 07/14 and got the two room assignments on 06/25...so a little less than 3 weeks out. They were VA guaranteed...got "Spa Verandah" rooms.