Internet package - one or two?

I am sure all this was asked some time somewhere.

But I was thinking maybe it would be O'K just to pop up quick question.

We have 13-days European Cruise booked in 2019. We are two people, each has two devices, but we don't have to use all of them at the same time.

Also the cruise is going to be very port intensive. So I doubt we would be in the internet all the time while on the ship, and there is internet in the ports (we have T-mobile, it usually provides pretty good coverage in Europe).

I was thinking in the beginning to get a package for two people one device each, and just switch between devices. But the internet packages are pricey.

So I am thinking now - I can buy "one person - one device" package, and we can switch with my husband and between devices. Is it possible?

We were on the cruise like this a year ago, but that time we had our daughter with us, and we also had more sea days. That time I made sure we each had internet for one device. And as I recall we were able to switch between devices.

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for all the info!

While more expensive per day, I would cut your plan back even further and only get a one device 24hr package (which you can share across as many devices as you want) only when you really need it.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

I think that's what we are going to do.

As we are going to be in a European port almost every day, and we should have an internet through T-mobile.

So we will only need internet in the evening and on that only sea day. So we will just share!

On a port intensive Euro cruise, I would not buy a package at all.

If I needed, I would buy it for that day.

We have shared a single connection, even on sea days. But no one is sitting doing a lot of surfing, just checking emails a couple of times a day.

It IS A VACATION, :D

Thank you VERY MUCH!

I think that's what we are going to do.

As we are going to be in a European port almost every day, and we should have an internet through T-mobile.

So we will only need internet in the evening and on that only sea day. So we will just share!

So you fully understand, I believe the 24 hour period runs for 24 hours, In other words, if you use one hour and shut it down, I believe your time period keeps running. I don't think you can use one our on Monday then another hour on Wed. If that's what you're expecting, you might want to double check before you buy. Also in order to switch devices, be sure to logoff otherwise the first device will continue to be considered logged in for 2 hours (or so I've been told).

So you fully understand, I believe the 24 hour period runs for 24 hours, In other words, if you use one hour and shut it down, I believe your time period keeps running. ... .

You are correct, the valid period ends 24 hours after purchase.

I got the 1 device option in October between 2 of us. We both had our smart phone on us, however mine was usually connected and the other person would just use my phone to have a quick check on whatever.

Or I would log out completely and they would log on.

For a port heavy cruise, you should be able to pick up free wifi on land in most places. My parents just did a European Cruise and were able to pick up free wifi in most their ports of call.

I looked into the 24 hour package but it's not 24 hours of use it's you have 24 hours then it expires, so if we have a few sea days I'll usually go for the 1 device option which works perfectly for the both of us.

I got the 1 device option in October between 2 of us. We both had our smart phone on us, however mine was usually connected and the other person would just use my phone to have a quick check on whatever.

Or I would log out completely and they would log on.

For a port heavy cruise, you should be able to pick up free wifi on land in most places. My parents just did a European Cruise and were able to pick up free wifi in most their ports of call.

I looked into the 24 hour package but it's not 24 hours of use it's you have 24 hours then it expires, so if we have a few sea days I'll usually go for the 1 device option which works perfectly for the both of us.

I was just about to mention this. When I did my European cruise in 2016, all of the ports had free wi fi that was quite easy to pick up. My other alternative was using my work phone which was corporately reimbursed. I only had 3 sea days during that sailing so I used 1 day as my free Diamond day and I paid for the other 2 days.

Do NOT ever buy a one device package for each person in you traveling party. It is cheaper to buy a two device package or perhaps more for one member of the travel party and then share the connections.

For example, I will buy a two device package for my self. I will use one connection and my wife will use the other one. However we have multiple devices between the two of us. We just make sure that when one of us is done with one device we "log off" and then connect with our alternate device.

Thank you VERY MUCH to everybody for the useful information!

I remember something about log out, because if don't the other person would not be able to log in.

I am thinking of just buying one-device package for all the days of the cruise, so we would "always" have internet in the sea - because that's when I surf internet etc - usually before going to bed. And we will just alternate with my husband.

He sometimes needs to do stuff for work, even when he is on vacation - like bid the schedule for example. And he NEEDS to use his work tablet for that. So that cost is justifiable for us.

But I am happy to confirm that we can just do one-device for the two of us - no problem.

Like I mentioned - in Europe we would not even need wifi as I recall: T-mobile provides 2G-4G "for free". And from what I remember we didn't have problems with connection in Europe - on the opposite with US, where for example we had NO COVERAGE whatsoever in some ports in Alaska :D:D:D

So this is probably a glitch but on board SoS right now we have a 2 device package for 3 of us, but all 3 devices are working at the same time. No one has had to log out for the 3 days of cruise so far.

Now, I do have an AT&T international package, and it’s possible I’m somehow getting that through ship Wi-Fi. If that’s the case then it’s great because $10 per day that they charge is a lot less than a voom package.

Does anyone know if an international (not a cruise-specific) data package can be accessed through ships Wi-Fi?

Also, on some ships, you do not need to log out. The other person logging in, logs you out.

Suggestion, make SURE you tell each other when you will be logging in. :D

Do NOT ever buy a one device package for each person in you traveling party. It is cheaper to buy a two device package or perhaps more for one member of the travel party and then share the connections.

While very rare, we've had it in the past where RCI didn't lower all package prices during a sale so that two single device packages were cheaper than a two device package. One has to do the math while in the planner.

Does anyone know if an international (not a cruise-specific) data package can be accessed through ships Wi-Fi?

No, and the WiFi data is separate from cell data (which is what you have). Your ability to connect 3 devices at once on a two device package is just some very rare glitch in the customer's favor.