What do we need to know as first timers on princess?

Montana

It’s still on the Ruby unless they changed the carpet in the past month. ;)

True enough. But when this thread gets to be 9 pages long, people will start to read it as generic advice and less about Ruby specifically, so I just wanted to point out that the carpets are no longer uniform. Which stinks. Love the idea of Port on port. :D

One side of the ship has pink in the carpeting and the other side does not. Make a note of your hallway and it will be easier to find your room when getting off the elevator. ;)

Just off the Ruby in June and a large amount of the carpet has been replaced.

At one time you could even look at the waves in the carpet to orient yourself to the ship. The waves faced forward. Over time as carpet was replaced, this was no longer always the case. In 2009 only half of one floor on the Star was backwards. Next time on board, several areas no longer followed the convention.

Remember that the international cafe is open 24/7 so if you're a night owl or early riser, always nibbles available.

As mentioned above, the port-colored band on the edge of the carpets running down the stateroom halls has always been a great tool to remember which is port (even numbered cabins), with the blue edging on the starboard side (odd-numbered staterooms). It WAS a shocker when we were on the Royal and it wasn't on the new ships - I got lost a number of times! :D

Skywalkers located on the upper aft of the ship is a great place to go during the day to sit, read, play cards or talk to pals.

My favorite dining item - those crunch hard-rolls at dinner... yummy!

There's a laundromat available to passengers on each of the stateroom floors (except maybe emerald deck?) You can purchase tokens for the washer, dryer and soap from the dispenser using your cruise card. They also provide ironing stations there. Only a couple washers and dryers, but we've never had a problem as long as we don't wait until sea days towards the end of a cruise.

Congratulations on choosing Princess - I hope it's a great experience for you!

Here are some tips I gave to a coworker who was new to cruising as well as to princess so some of these might not be for you.

1. check in early, no matter they tell you, get there early--as soon as the terminal opens. it’s rare to get on board by 12:30 but it happens esp if no one else is there!

2. if you can carry on your bags, do so because then you don’t have to wait to have them delivered.

3. same on the way out, get up early, go to international cafe and get a seat/coffee and then you are the first ones off, no waiting

the international cafe has the best pastries, and they are free and open 24x7

4. share a coffee card, it’s worth it

5. when you get on board, if you check luggage, take a carry on that has your bathing suit and sun hat, book etc

6. when you board early, the dining room is open, skip the buffet, it’s crowded. you get a sit down lunch for free!

7. the princess patter is your friend. read it.

8. before lunch day 1, after you drop bags, go to the sanctuary and book chairs.

top of the ship in front with great viewing, adults only and quiet they will have often have special deals on the at sea days with special views like panama canal

9. Crown Grill: get the black and blue cheese French onion soup

10. take your wine if you want, drinking in your room is no corkage. also fun to do is get snacks from horizon court like cheese and eat with wine as appetizeers in room

11. took tide pods or powdered soap if you want to do laundry on board.

12. take ziplock bags, some shore days you can pack sandwiches and snacks

13 day pack obviously

14, only two outlets in room some people extension cords and/or multi prong

15. when you check in ask your room steward for bathrobes and extra hangers if you need

they will also bring wineglasses and if you need a corkscrew you can borrow one

magnetic hooks are amazing, because the walls are metal so they are great for hanging up your hats, room key etc.

16, wristlet or etc to hold phone and cruise card.

17. insulated mug or insulated glass with a cover because the beverage cups are small and uncovered, so it's nice to have a larger mug of whatever. (tip, we put our rose win in the insulated mug by the pool!)

18. a little iphone speaker is nice

19. hat and sunglasses clip so you don’t lose them

20. the promenade is your friend. (not on the new ships, sniff!)

21 the shows are great on princess. get there early, they fill up

22. have a coco loco drink for me. :smile:

23. take the stairs always, never the elevator.

24. do the princess app on board so you can message each other.

Here are some tips I gave to a coworker who was new to cruising as well as to princess so some of these might not be for you.

No surge protectors. Those will be confiscated as they have been known to cause fires on cruise ship power. In some rooms, there is an additional free plug behind the TV. We use this one with an extension cord to plug in USB charging devices. The little rail by the TV keeps items from falling off.

10. take your wine if you want, drinking in your room is no corkage.

This is only partially true. When you board, each adult can bring on board one bottle which can be consumed in the cabin without paying a fee. But if two people go on a 10 day cruise and bring along 10 bottles, (one for each day), 2 bottles come on board free and the other 8 bottles will be assessed a fee of $15 per bottle during the boarding process even if you intend to drink them in your cabin.

Just off the Ruby in June and a large amount of the carpet has been replaced.

At one time you could even look at the waves in the carpet to orient yourself to the ship. The waves faced forward. Over time as carpet was replaced, this was no longer always the case. In 2009 only half of one floor on the Star was backwards. Next time on board, several areas no longer followed the convention.

Sorry, we too were aboard in June. Our floor still had the old carpet 🙄

Sorry, we too were aboard in June. Our floor still had the old carpet 🙄

Ours did to, but I saw several floors by the back elevator that didn't. I am sure most of the floors I saw did have the older design, but I saw more than a few areas that didn't.

Looking back at "large", it was in reference to several areas as to large areas.

I doubt if they will ask you to prove where the wine comes from if you take a glass from your room store to dinner!!

They don’t. We always bring a large glass of wine from the cabin to dinner, never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question - we have never cruised Princess before but have cruised other Carnival Cruise line ships.

Will they count us as a past guest?

Sorry no, only Princess cruises count. Even though several other lines are owned by Carnival Cruise Corp none of them count for credit. (They used to give credit for P&O, not sure how that worked)

1. check in early, no matter they tell you, get there early--as soon as the terminal opens. it’s rare to get on board by 12:30 but it happens esp if no one else is there!

2. if you can carry on your bags, do so because then you don’t have to wait to have them delivered.

3. same on the way out, get up early, go to international cafe and get a seat/coffee and then you are the first ones off, no waiting

the international cafe has the best pastries, and they are free and open 24x7

4. share a coffee card, it’s worth it

5. when you get on board, if you check luggage, take a carry on that has your bathing suit and sun hat, book etc

6. when you board early, the dining room is open, skip the buffet, it’s crowded. you get a sit down lunch for free!

7. the princess patter is your friend. read it.

8. before lunch day 1, after you drop bags, go to the sanctuary and book chairs.

top of the ship in front with great viewing, adults only and quiet they will have often have special deals on the at sea days with special views like panama canal

9. Crown Grill: get the black and blue cheese French onion soup

10. take your wine if you want, drinking in your room is no corkage. also fun to do is get snacks from horizon court like cheese and eat with wine as appetizeers in room

11. took tide pods or powdered soap if you want to do laundry on board.

12. take ziplock bags, some shore days you can pack sandwiches and snacks

13 day pack obviously

15. when you check in ask your room steward for bathrobes and extra hangers if you need

they will also bring wineglasses and if you need a corkscrew you can borrow one

magnetic hooks are amazing, because the walls are metal so they are great for hanging up your hats, room key etc.

16, wristlet or etc to hold phone and cruise card.

17. insulated mug or insulated glass with a cover because the beverage cups are small and uncovered, so it's nice to have a larger mug of whatever. (tip, we put our rose win in the insulated mug by the pool!)

18. a little iphone speaker is nice

19. hat and sunglasses clip so you don’t lose them

20. the promenade is your friend. (not on the new ships, sniff!)

21 the shows are great on princess. get there early, they fill up

22. have a coco loco drink for me. :smile:

23. take the stairs always, never the elevator.

24. do the princess app on board so you can message each other.

whats a coco loco drink??

Coco Loco - Island Drink - specialty of RCL on their private island - Coco Cay...:cool:

That may be true. But this is a princess thread and this drink is coco lopez, malibu coconut rum and i think some other juice. Not far off a pina colada.