Dreaming About Caribbean

charlielinda

We have just planned a last minute cruise and haven’t been to Caribbean in 15 years except to St. Martin. Many of the islands we are visiting were affected last year from hurricanes and I’m having a bit of trouble finding out current conditions. We are in our early 60’s and love the water so beach days and half day sails are great for us with a little shopping thrown in. We’ve been to most of the islands we are visiting so no need for an island tour.

If anyone had a favorite excursion, beach or tour I’d love to know.

St. Thomas - all set

St. Croix - beach day or Buck Island ... which would be most relaxing

Barbados - thinking of Silver Moon sail

St. Lucia — need help here

St. Martin — all set

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just planned a last minute cruise and haven’t been to Caribbean in 15 years except to St. Martin. Many of the islands we are visiting were affected last year from hurricanes and I’m having a bit of trouble finding out current conditions. We are in our early 60’s and love the water so beach days and half day sails are great for us with a little shopping thrown in. We’ve been to most of the islands we are visiting so no need for an island tour.

St. Thomas - all set

St. Martin — all set

St. Lucia has a volcano and the Pitons, which are a World Heritage site. We took the ship tour and went to the Pitons, Diamond Gardens and waterfall (beautiful) and the Sulfur Springs Park, where the Sofriere volcano is and had lunch at Marigot Bay. We were advised to be very careful going out on our own because of the rampant poverty and some very unscrupulous "tour guides" who will quote you a price, take you to the furthest point and then charge you more to bring you back to the ship! There were also several tours that included an afternoon at the beach. St. Lucia has something for everyone depends on what you like. One of our favorite restaurants on St. Lucia is the Pink Papaya and depending on where you dock, could be right off the ship or a quick ferry ride away....sometimes the ferry is free and sometimes it isn't....the people are really laid back!

Celeb Buck Island snorkel excursion...very long non scenic bus ride to snorkel boat..strenuous snorkelling when we went..narrow trail..disappointibg compared to Trunk Bay St Johns.. little time in the fairly run down town itself...just a bathrm stop..then back on the bus..

I'd do a relaxing beach activitu...

We also did the Celebrity Buck Island snorkel several years ago - agree it is a long drive and was fairly rough seas the day we went.

Loved Silver Moon in Barbados

Susan

St. Thomas - all set

St. Martin — all set

You are "well sailed"! Really think you'd enjoy a relaxing sail to Buck Island in St. Croix. (y)

CharlieLinda -- I think that a friend of mine (BighairTexan) might be on your r/c -- if you're on sailing I'm thinking of. Sounds like a great last-minute cruise!:cool:

About Barbados -- I LOVE Silvermoon Cats -- but they book up, FAST! I think that I've gotten reservations 6 months ahead of time, both times we've booked with them. If you are even considering Silvermoon -- call them NOW. If they don't have any openings, there is another popular Barbados catamaran outfit -- but, I can't remember the name of it. You can check over on the Ports-of-Call boards, though. Good luck, and have a GREAT cruise! :D

We did the same itinerary on Royal. We don't usually do cruise line excursions but in this case the suite concierge highly recommended the pirate ship to the Pitons and volcanic mud baths. We had a blast so if Celebrity offers it I too would highly recommend it. Before we returned to the ship we stopped at the Antilles Brewing Company Bar just outside the port shopping area. They're a craft beer brewery whose owner is Canadian and sometimes he's actually there.

I emailed Silver Moon and think I’ll take advise on St Kitts and do Celebrity excursion. Does anyone have a favorite for St. Croix or Antigua. We love smaller groups.

Antigua is easy to get around by the local bus that stops near the port. You'll want to head up to Nelson's Dockyard and try to get donuts from the little shop. It's interesting with lovely views, some local shopping and a very nice place to stroll around looking at all the million $$ yachts!

We haven't done St; Croix yet so tell me what you find when you get back.

In St. Kitts if you're good with walking, the rain forest and waterfall is supposed to be lovely. We did the train ride and while it had it's good moments, for a lot of the time was boring so I wouldn't recommend it.

Barbados/Silver Moon. I’ve spoken with them and they will adapt to the cruise schedule so we can sail with them. Thanks so much for your help. That’s one more port taken care of.

WAHOO! So glad that worked out for you! Hope you have a great day in Barbados! :D