Koper sail in/away

mimbecky

I have heard this port has a magnificent sail in/ sail away. We port at 7am and leave at 7pm. Can anyone give me an estimate as to how long the beautiful scenery lasts? We have early dining (6:15 before sail away) so am wondering how early I should get up for the view.:o

Thanks

I have heard this port has a magnificent sail in/ sail away. We port at 7am and leave at 7pm. Can anyone give me an estimate as to how long the beautiful scenery lasts? We have early dining (6:15 before sail away) so am wondering how early I should get up for the view.:o

Thanks

I may be wrong but I think you may be thinking of Kotor. We have been to both Kotor and Koper and I can't remember anything stunning about the latter. Now Kotor is stunning and I think we had to be up on deck at about 5 a.m. for sail in (with a jacket or thick cardigan as it was cool). The view leaving is the same one and just as stunning and takes a good few hours I would say.

Since you have early seating dinner, you might consider dinner in the buffet . . . It would be a great night to have something grilled to order, add a salad or sides and eat al fresco at the Oceanview Bar. We don't often choose the buffet for dinner, maybe once per cruise, but that's exactly what we did. So worth both sail in and sail away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely worth watching the sail in and sail out. Re the dinner issue, I just did this cruise. We ate in the buffet most nights, once we discovered how good it was. They brought in food from the ports and I had a fantastic salad which was way more imaginative than anything I've ever had in the MDR. The food was excellent. And we didn't get stuck at a table with people who spent the whole dinner talking about their lost luggage--there seemed to be a lot of that!

We did the Kotor sail in on the Constellation helipad last year. We must have been there a good two hours and it was hot. WE got to the tender point around 10.am as I recall. It would have to be one of the great sail ins alongside Sydney Australia. We left quite late and having experienced the sail in the sail out was pretty much ignored

If you have a balcony, my suggestion would be to request a copy of the main dining room menu for that evening and order your dinner delivered to your stateroom, so you can enjoy it out on your balcony as you are cruising along.

That is what we like to do whenever we are cruising through a scenic area at mealtime.

We have tried it sitting at a window table in the dining room, but the experience is not nearly as good that way.

The same for viewing wildlife and scenery on Alaska cruises in the summertime when it stays light out very late.

Some great ideas! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We are indeed in a balcony and early risers (depending on jet lag) so will order in for breakfast and/or do Oceanview in the evening.

Miriam

We did the Kotor sail in on the Constellation helipad last year. We must have been there a good two hours and it was hot. WE got to the tender point around 10.am as I recall. It would have to be one of the great sail ins alongside Sydney Australia. We left quite late and having experienced the sail in the sail out was pretty much ignored

Yes, agree, together with Venice, Hong Kong, New York, Geiranger (Norway)...... I could go on and on :D.

Agree that the sail-in and out of Kotor is very scenic. But we do not recommend using a cabin balcony as you would only see one side (unless you have a bow or stern balcony). The best place to be is somewhere that gives a complete view forward and/or aft. We have done many European cruises and always hear some passengers complaining about how their early dinner interferes with sail-aways and even their time in port. Or course the obvious solution is to simply dine late, but this idea now seems lost on many cruisers.

Hank

Agree that the sail-in and out of Kotor is very scenic. But we do not recommend using a cabin balcony as you would only see one side (unless you have a bow or stern balcony). The best place to be is somewhere that gives a complete view forward and/or aft. We have done many European cruises and always hear some passengers complaining about how their early dinner interferes with sail-aways and even their time in port. Or course the obvious solution is to simply dine late, but this idea now seems lost on many cruisers.

Hank

Could not agree more. We had an aft cabin on HAL for our trip. Took it all in from our veranda, drink in hand, camera at the ready. Inspired us enough to book an aft cabin with Viking, doing the fjords of Norway and Iceland next summer. Cannot wait!