Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

Happy you had a lovely evening but I’m not sure what I would think if I was invited to an Officer’s Table and it turned out to be the art sales person hosting...

Nothing could top a meal with Captain Carl, but we have had very interesting interactions with many officers and also lecturers etc. Since the poster mentioned many topics of conversation – none of which were sales pitches for the art gallery – this sounded like a very nice evening to me.

Laundry day.

This is the size of the bag - water bottle for scale.

We managed to get quite a lot in - it helps that all my dresses are summer dresses through. Even so, there are at least 3 dresses in there, 4 shirts and various socks, underwear etc and we could have fitted in more if needed.

We didn't actually have that much washing as we went to the self laundry earlier with some things (in the light of research for this thread of course [emoji4])

We have 1 bag included, but yesterday there was a special offer for 1 bag for $40

Nothing could top a meal with Captain Carl, but we have had very interesting interactions with many officers and also lecturers etc. Since the poster mentioned many topics of conversation – none of which were sales pitches for the art gallery – this sounded like a very nice evening to me.
I didn't actually notice whether Captain Carl was there or not!

We have not experienced any sales pitches from the art persons at all, not during dinner or any of the chats we had with them. They are lovely and knowledgeable people to spent some time with.

Of course they are happy to sell you art and give you prices (if asked) but it is all very non pushy.

Now docked in Bergen.

Viking is docked as well.

Time for breakfast and sight seeing. Tonigh Azamazing Evening.

Will report on that later, for those who are interested, I made a phto of the letter (with practical details) which we reveived last night.cb18e0ea516caf39db42ad92f6c8caa7.jpgb12f3b450d448ceeaa16466be0cf34d5.jpg1d01b5ba40aea023671f3eb680c3fe8a.jpg

Of course they are happy to sell you art and give you prices (if asked) but it is all very non pushy.

Just realised this might actually be interpreted as "Ah so they do a sales pitch" so I want to emphasize again that they only gave us the price info when we specifically asked for it.

An Espresso Martini during trivia sounds like a great idea, are they on the complimentary list or the premium package ?

Yes like nearly everything there’s an included version, however with the upgraded package version we’ve noticed the bar staff do like to be creative and add their own twist. Yesterday we were treated to Tiramisu Martinis [emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes like nearly everything there’s an included version, however with the upgraded package version we’ve noticed the bar staff do like to be creative and add their own twist. Yesterday we were treated to Tiramisu Martinis [emoji483]

Is that “premium “ or “ultimate “?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Interesting!

How do they know you are on a premium package?

I know they have a list on the website, but do they have a menu for the "free" drinks & a seperate menu for the "premium" drinks?

Thanks for the fantastic photos & sharing your experiences with us!

Gary & Mo.

Perth, Australia

(booked on the Pursuit 29 Sept Athens-Venice)

Is that “premium “ or “ultimate “?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We’re on the Ultimate Package so don’t tend to look at what packages the drinks are on. We did post the new menu and packages on a thread back in May, can’t post a link as internet is down today so just working with my phone.

Interesting!

How do they know you are on a premium package?

I know they have a list on the website, but do they have a menu for the "free" drinks & a seperate menu for the "premium" drinks?

Thanks for the fantastic photos & sharing your experiences with us!

Gary & Mo.

Perth, Australia

(booked on the Pursuit 29 Sept Athens-Venice)

There’s a sticker placed on your cruise card, server has to have your card and process it through the system for inventory. Bar menu lists all the usual drinks but only a selection of the included but you can get anything that can be made from the included spirits.

Internet onboard Pursuit has been touch and go. I am not sure if it is my device but I have had quite a time trying to log on. At a cafe in Bergen at the moment.

Enjoying this new vessel very much. It feels brand new.

The Azamara staff has been quite wonderful and I am very impressed with Amanda as she fills in for Tony.

Really hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

Alsun has covered a lot so wonderfully. Thought I would add some of my thoughts too!

The #Sistersmeet was really special. There is such a magical feeling from the onboard staff when moments like this happen. It was great to see the Journey again as it has been a few years since we sailed on her. After being on Pursuit for a few days now, it was surprising to see (and remember) the darker feel that Journey has. Much more darker wood and accents.

The food onboard has, for the most part, been excellent. I prefer Discoveries to Windows as there are times Windows is hit and miss. Do you ever feel that? Almost like there is all this food in front of you but nothing is appealing to you. Besides Discoveries and Windows, we had a fantastic meal at Prime C. The filet was cooked to perfection. Also the chicken lollipops are excellent. Not a fan of the desserts but overall the experience was fantastic.

Entertainment has been excellent. Magician Peter and Comedian Billy were really fun. Both had very light-hearted shows that had us really laughing. The new "Signature Singers" are a wonderful addition to Azamara. I believe Signature Singers is the new name for the onboard cast. Their new production shows Musically Yours and On Broadway were outstanding. Each of the singers have been a true joy to get to know and we thoroughly enjoyed their shows.

Really looking forward to azamazing evening.

More to follow if I can get good internet!

Wi-Fi now back up and running, apparently all of the ship has been re-cabled and new routers fitted throughout, in fact I’m currently sat under one actually in the suite. However it’s still running with the original server and satellite receiving equipment, the reason there’s no interactive tv’s in the staterooms.

That being said the wi-fi is running as well if not better than we have experienced on Journey or Quest. After all we are in Norway which is notorious for poor satellite reception in places and we do come for the spectacular mountainous scenery.3111781077c14bbdd6555dcc5033fe6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bergen - Mount Floyen & Fish market

This morning we went to Mount Floyen. The Floibanen funicular runs from 7.30/08.00 to 23.00 daily. Tickets are 95 NOK, but discounted to 50 NOK if using the Bergen Pass.

It is a brisk 15 minute walk from where Pursuit was docked to reach the Tourist Information but Bryggen is located just over halfway.

Our aim was to go to Mount Floyen early so we didn't stop there but headed straight to the Tourist Information and from there to the funicular.

It is very easy to find, basically from the end of Bryggen you have the street leading to Floibahnen to the left, and the fishmarket and tourist office at the end of the fishmarket.

It was a good thing that we were early indeed (think we were at the funicular around 9.30) as aside from us and Viking, there was also a Pulmantour and a MSC in Bergen. We encountered especially loads of (Italian) passengers from MSC, they must have had at least 21 tours (they all walked around with numbers).

We were lucky as despite being caught up in an MSC group at the funicular (group 9) it was still relatively quiet on top of Mount Floyen. When we came back - about an hour later - there was a huge (and I mean huge) line of mainly groups waiting to take the funicular up.

The funicular itself only takes about 5 minutes or so, and it is important to mention that it is mainly standing room. If you want/need a seat, make sure you wait on the lowest steps of the "platform" as that compartment has some benches. (the other compartments only have 2 fold down seats each).

The lowest compartment is also the best for a view down the funicular line. We managed to get in that compartment on the way back, and I made a small video which I can't upload but I have taken a "screenshot" of it.

Mount Floyen itself offers amazing views over Bergen. We were very lucky with the weather (another reason why we went early), as although overcast, we didn't have any of the predicted rain.

Again, photos here don't do justice to the amazing views & beauty!

After Mount Floyen we spent some time wandering around the Fish (and other food) market - very nice displays but not so nice prices - before heading back to Pursuit for lunch.

We will probably head back into Bergen later again to visit a few museums.

40ba4df5ec1c4583deb7795896834716.jpg370409a8959ed97c77162d4f60f19c8b.jpge94c0ae625b60786a1be5791945be17c.jpg3a2ee682dbe2a2ad03e435d709009fb7.jpg0b36d32ac5b23152d82a57e22da6b438.jpg32c4070a5b9f34b9e9bc8c36b0c23ff8.jpg

This is in the bar menu, the rest of the menu has "premium" drinks. But we also have a list in our room with a sentence saying something like: cocktails that can made with these include the following... sort of implying that other cocktails can be made with the inclusions.3d7864725edd9fbe08130adf250804d2.jpg

Wi-Fi now back up and running, apparently all of the ship has been re-cabled and new routers fitted throughout, in fact I’m currently sat under one actually in the suite. However it’s still running with the original server and satellite receiving equipment, the reason there’s no interactive tv’s in the staterooms.

That being said the wi-fi is running as well if not better than we have experienced on Journey or Quest. After all we are in Norway which is notorious for poor satellite reception in places and we do come for the spectacular mountainous scenery.3111781077c14bbdd6555dcc5033fe6d.jpg

We are finding the WIFI very hit & miss but when it is running, it is actually pretty fast. We have been quite lucky with mobile signal (included in our Europe data roaming), so we manage to be online pretty much (I don't like being off line - sign of the times I guess)

And yes, mountains to have a habit of interfering ;-)

Alsun has covered a lot so wonderfully. Thought I would add some of my thoughts too!

The food onboard has, for the most part, been excellent. I prefer Discoveries to Windows as there are times Windows is hit and miss. Do you ever feel that? Almost like there is all this food in front of you but nothing is appealing to you. Besides Discoveries and Windows, we had a fantastic meal at Prime C. The filet was cooked to perfection. Also the chicken lollipops are excellent. Not a fan of the desserts but overall the experience was fantastic.

Thanks for your thoughts, think it is nice to hear more views from other passengers as well as of course, I can only speak for us and our experiences.

We really like that there are different dining venues, so there is an option for everyone. I would quite like to eat in Discoveries but the menu there doesn't work for A, Windows is much easier for him. I have found usually that the fish dishes are better than the meat dishes in Windows. And I find the desserts the weakest so far (aside from the dessert at yesterday's hosted dinner in Discoveries).

We combine Windows with dinners at Aqualina and Prime C so it works out well for us.

I had some lovely mussels and salmon today for lunch. 26051a9108e27b786bbcf71e59da5baa.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts, think it is nice to hear more views from other passengers as well as of course, I can only speak for us and our experiences.

We really like that there are different dining venues, so there is an option for everyone. I would quite like to eat in Discoveries but the menu there doesn't work for A, Windows is much easier for him. I have found usually that the fish dishes are better than the meat dishes in Windows. And I find the desserts the weakest so far (aside from the dessert at yesterday's hosted dinner in Discoveries).

We combine Windows with dinners at Aqualina and Prime C so it works out well for us.

I had some lovely mussels and salmon today for lunch. 26051a9108e27b786bbcf71e59da5baa.jpg

Azamara like most cruise lines are very good at dealing with dietary requirements, if you talk to the Maitre’d they will arrange special dishes or versions of what’s on offer. You may have to select your meal the day before depending on what the requirements are.

Azamara like most cruise lines are very good at dealing with dietary requirements, if you talk to the Maitre’d they will arrange special dishes or versions of what’s on offer. You may have to select your meal the day before depending on what the requirements are.

We have noticed this with the Officers Hosted Dinner and also at Prime C and Aqualina.

But Windows works fine for us. We do actually prefer it over Discoveries as we found D. quite noisy. Also, W had the Sunset Verandah :-)

Bergen - Museums, Bryggen and rain!

Well, we are feeling extremely lucky as just after we came back from our second outing to Bergen it started to rain, and it is now really chucking down!

We walked back into Bergen and discovered that at the beginning of the Skolten pier (were we are docked) is a small stand with excellent free maps of Bergen (better than the ones the local tourist office lady brought on board with her).

Anyway, we visited 3 museums: Haakon's Hall with an imposing Great Hall, the Rosenkrantz Tower and the Bryggens Museum. The last had an excellent temporarily exhibition featuring Frithjof Saelen, and also an art exhibition showing West-Norwegian artists through 2 centuries. We especially like the Saelen exhibition, he was extremely talented and led an very interesting life.

We wandered back via Bryggen, very pretty but also very busy before heading back to Pursuit and just missing the rain!a321360ee692cb19edf2d33105f90f89.jpg32d34a427dbd58b2ab374bb15174154f.jpga1647a6e5383a2a180f4d3748d6519f8.jpg3eb585224c028ae17fe08afcbe489196.jpg