Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

Hi Nancy, no Ryszard is HD on Pursuit Philip is still on Quest.

In answer to a previous question The Living Room is open from 11.30am until Close.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks John. I thought I had read Phillip on another post. Is there a restroom near the living room or must one go down one deck?

Eidfjord - Voringsfossen

Today - after a leisury breakfast in our room (for photos see previously), we went into Eidfjord by tender which took only a few minutes.

Eidfjord was relatively busy (for such a small town) - as Fred Ohlsen's Braemar was docked - and there were a few tour busses. We strolled around a bit, admired the phone box turned into (free) library, visited some shops and looked at the Braemar. She did not compare to Pursuit obviously ;-)

Our tour today was to Voringsfossen, Norway's most famous waterfall and we had booked tickets for a bus tour which would also stop at the Norwegian Nature Centre.

The bus tour was a bit delayed, as it had to wait for passengers from the "Hardangerfjord in a nut shell" tour who arrived by ferry from Ulvik.

The first stop was at the Norwegian Nature Centre Handager, and as we left late, the time felt a bit limited also because they show you a 25 minutes panorama film "The Best of Norway" which is quite breathtaking but can be a bit challenging for those who are sensitive to motion sickness (the "camera angle" takes the viewer down fjords, steep drops etc).

There is a restaurant and gift shop at the Nature Centre (with goats on the roof)

The bus tour then took us along more narrow roads and through some (steep) tunnels up the Mabodalen Valley to the Hotel Fossli with some amazing views along the way.

The really breathtaking views though are at the Fossli hotel, which is about 700 meter above seal level and has viewing platforms looking out over Voringsfossen and the valley.

The views here are absolutely spectacular and we felt very lucky with the weather. After the predicted clouds, the sun had come through and it was actually quite a warm and sunny day.

Again, my photos don't do justice to this magical spot.

The bus then took us back to Eidfjord, total duration about 2.5/3 hours.

Decided to go back to our room for a scone, snack and a drink (the scone today resembles more what a Brit would consider a scone) and some lazy time until dinner.

We have been priviliged to be invited to the Officer's Hosting Dinner in

Discoveries tonight. Will update about that later.

20180807_111615.thumb.jpg.2e3ccf732e01ce8e1f1094619a000309.jpg

20180807_103738.thumb.jpg.5dc9ede49c4b63b16280e15b121c1ec5.jpg

20180807_104901.thumb.jpg.d73f185900d54268e91f017661aded22.jpg

20180807_110543.thumb.jpg.d1a9e148bcdf4689fa8e2193d428b92f.jpg

View back to Eidfjord from tender. (Other ship had left)

Pursuit has changed position.

Sconegate continuation.

View from balcony including a seaplane, ferry/sightseeing boat, jetski.20180807_150632.thumb.jpg.be7f8c456b482c5354f6ac8feab6adb8.jpg

20180807_144751.thumb.jpg.d8ab0c55125438c0b59aa27e86d1cd95.jpg

20180807_144959.thumb.jpg.b2fbd577789786fb1062a6ed90965b29.jpg

20180807_151130.thumb.jpg.fee486c182d572db820029d759240063.jpg

20180807_152056.thumb.jpg.e10fa21ec8f5b63e9c3981af35f7b89d.jpg

Thanks John. I thought I had read Phillip on another post. Is there a restroom near the living room or must one go down one deck?

The restrooms are in exactly the same place as Quest & Journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know much about scones and my mother when we were growing up was infamous in how bad hers were but that doesn't look right!

Never had a decent scone on any cruise ship and Azamara are certainly not very good.

Probably because I am spoilt at home.

Has there been any rearrangement in the layout of the staterooms, or is it just the public areas?
As this is our first (ever) cruise we don't have any previous experience to compare with so can't answer this.

The only thing I can mention is that we are in a club continent suite and we really like it. The bathroom is larger than expected and we have enough storage space for our needs.

An Espresso Martini during trivia sounds like a great idea, are they on the complimentary list or the premium package ?
Not sure. We had an espresso martini after dinner tonight and nobody asked to see our seapass or to sign anything.28b73c7fc49567a71f3c0ea5c6b25d3d.jpg

Never had a decent scone on any cruise ship and Azamara are certainly not very good.

Probably because I am spoilt at home.

I guess we are also spoilt (being UK based...)

A still likes his occasional scone though - after coming back from a day's outing [emoji4]

Day 7, evening.

Quick update of our evening of day 7 on board of Azamara Pursuit.

We were invited for the Officers hosted dinner in Discoveries, and initially - although flattered to be invited - we were not sure if we could attend.

Due to several dietary reasons, we usually have dinner in Windows or at one of the speciality restaurants, and we did not know if we would be able to eat from the special menu for this evening.

However, a call with the head waiter resulted in a visit to our room from one of the waiters with the menu for that evening, and we were able to make a few special requests/small adaptations, which meant we could accept this invite. Such great customer service!

Officer's hosting dinner means just that, a dinner hosted by officers. We didn't realise that Samantha from the Art Gallery also carries stripes as she doesn't wear an uniform, but we were quite happy to have our table hosted by her as she is a lovely person and we have had some nice chats with her before this evening.

Our table was also honoured by the presence of the talented Minor-I, the artist in residence (see the photo of her during the sail away party in Haugesund - will have to make another photo of her when she is wearing one of her stunning kimonos), and by M & K, who we coincidentally had met on our tender back from Eidfjord.

We spent a lovely evening together, and for us it turned out to be the best sort of company we like - we chatted about so many things, from food to art, cruise experiences, chocolate, travel, and so much more!

There was even quite some excitement during dinner as some dolphins (?) were spotted but unfortunately I was not able to take a clear photo of them (maybe someone else has?)

After dinner we decided to see this night's entertainment show by the 4 signature singers, themed "On Broadway", which we liked a lot better than the first show.

The type and nature of the songs fitted better with the singers and although we were not totally convinced by some parts of the performance, we quite enjoyed it overall. The Azamara Pursuit Band was excellent - as usual.

To round off the evening, we spent some time in the Living Room - and even danced a bit!

Tomorrow Bergen and the Azamazing Evening!

- My dinner - I had the tuna tartar, followed by the mussel bisque, surf & turf and lemon chilbout. Loved the chilbout, so fluffy and light (chilbout = creme pat with whipped egg whites -

20180807_201724.thumb.jpg.bb406ee2f773fc0015e56dbae6bb136f.jpg

20180806_172104.thumb.jpg.898fb561cf9c04e9c9d4eceaf3fc267d.jpg

20180807_210336.thumb.jpg.c4804b413692e5bb412d5759cbdcad5d.jpg

20180807_184309.thumb.jpg.8ed26a70fe314592dba002b10f812e26.jpg

20180807_185758.thumb.jpg.c22413ed0354d55b5d92ae3571634a5f.jpg

20180807_191958.thumb.jpg.834375e90549dd3509bc634cdca87388.jpg

20180807_194232.thumb.jpg.a486c3486ff97a78ffe294aedcfa55f2.jpg

Happy you had a lovely evening but I’m not sure what I would think if I was invited to an Officer’s Table and it turned out to be the art sales person hosting...

I would still be very happy since a limited number of people are invited to attend.

It also looks & sounds like it was a nice evening with good food & interesting conversation.

Thanks Alsun for all the information and photos

The living room certainly looks great - hope the dance floor is not too small, just a little difficult to tell

There are certainly more table now near the window

We are booked on the Journey starting 1st July 2019 - 16 nights Oslo to Edinburgh

Will be Norway intensive and will visit these ports

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Peter & Trish

Happy you had a lovely evening but I’m not sure what I would think if I was invited to an Officer’s Table and it turned out to be the art sales person hosting...
We did talk about this at the table - and yes, initially I was a bit miffed about it as it was not what I had expected. Sam herself said that she would have felt the same.

I didn't pay that much attention to who the officers were at the other table, and didn't recognise that many them. The HR lady was there and I think the lady from marketing but I don't know who else. It is a large group who get invited (about 60 or so).

Although you might not think so - given I share quite a bit about our holiday on a public forum - I am actually not the most sociable person, even a bit shy sometimes.

But because we already knew (Sam and Minor-I) - and had briefly met our other table companions - this table worked out very well as I felt relaxed and comfortable with the company and we really did have a great time.

Thanks Alsun for all the information and photos

The living room certainly looks great - hope the dance floor is not too small, just a little difficult to tell

There are certainly more table now near the window

We are booked on the Journey starting 1st July 2019 - 16 nights Oslo to Edinburgh

Will be Norway intensive and will visit these ports

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Peter & Trish

It is difficult to make good photos in the Living Room because of the lighting in there, but I would say the dance floor size is okayish. Maybe about 4 meters deep and 7 wide? Don't pin me down kn that though, would have to count my dance steps for more accurate measurements!!!

The floor isn't the smoothest of dancing floors I've encountered but I guess that is to do with ship health & safety.

There are also seats and tableson both sides of the Living Room, on one side there are the card tables (and computer area) and the other side holds sofas.

Enjoy your cruise and I am happy my thread has given you a 'taster' of what is to come.

The card table area in the Living Room. The opposite side has sofas but I don't have a photo of it.

Also some practical photos re our room (club continent).

Bed sight lamp, this has a larger lamp, the reading light which can swivel, and an usb charger.

Also, the mirror above the desk can be used as a vanity mirror (bathroom has a similar mirror plus a shaving mirror). The switch for that - and the desk lamp is at the front of the desk. The third switch there is for the balcony lamp.

There are 4 sockets below the mirror, 2 US, 1 UK and 1 Europe.

There is a shaving socket in the batrhoom, but quite high and we couldn't use it for our electrical toothbrush charger as the cord is too short. (We used the EUR socket instead - with adaptor).

There are 2 large hooks, 1 near the bed and one near the entrance door for hanging up bathrobes (they are in the wardrobe to start with but do take up a bit of space there). There is a full lenght mirror on (outside of) the bathroom wall.

Oh, and the magnets we brought (after reading this on CC) worked well on the wall to put some of the many bits of papers up. The door sign for "don't disturb" and "make up room" is magnetic as well.

Our balcony has two chairs, a good sized table (large enough for having a meal - weather permitting) and there is a very comfortable swivel type chair.

Our suitcases fitted easily under the bed.

The curtains are quite effective with blocking out the light but keep in mind that the room will never get pitch dark as there is a tiny sliver of light showing on the sides of the window curtains and also from under the door to the corridor. If you need a pitch black room, bring an eye mask.

Can't think of any other practical room things now but let me know if questions.1990b786710276d81db1ed7babb6c9c7.jpg9e412c32b990afe035529ac8ed23485e.jpg3af36b72729d4b7906c9eaaaeadabfda.jpg

I would still be very happy since a limited number of people are invited to attend.

It also looks & sounds like it was a nice evening with good food & interesting conversation.

Yes, we felt the same. Even though it was a largish group of 50 or 60 persons (most of the tables in the middle - the raised bit of Discoveries - were being used, still, it is only a limited number of guests they can invite so we felt flattered to be asked.

The food was very good! Can't actually decide which course I liked best but think it was the lemon chilboust and I am usually not a dessert person.