Live - Pursuit, Norway 1-13 August (Maiden Voyage)

Alsun

Phil it was working fine on Journey in May.

Have you seen it used much as it should be? I haven’t. And yes. Same with those table top screens in living room. The light from them was just a distraction, especially when sitting at them in the dark. Waste of time in my view. Nice idea, but a waste of time.

Phil

Thanks Alsun for your very informative posts. We are on Pursuit next March and the photos are making us think it can't come quick enough.

Good to hear you are having good weather and enjoying the cruise experience.

Lesley

Day 4 Oslo continued

Just back from exploring Oslo further and quick notes on Oslo before we forget.

Do get the Oslo pass, it's 395 NOK for an adult 24 hrs and includes lots of museums, public transport etc.

This morning we took the first museum ferry (at 8.55, 10 min walk from dock) to Bygdøy (museum Island). We got off at the second stop (15 minutes) for the Fram, Kon-Tiki and Maritime Museum but only visited the first two.

Fram museum was very impressive (and also very hot) but I was blown away by Kon-Tiki. I have to confess I hadn't read anything about this museum beforehand so A gave me an one sentence synopsis before going inside which went something like this "Man (who btw can bafely swim and also is a bit hydrofobic) hand builts a raft to cross the Pacific Ocean to prove that ancient people could have made long sea voyages" Ok, I thought, he must be bonkers or brilliant. Or both!

Don't want to tell more about this museum but let me say that I think I have fallen in love with Thor Heyerdal and have never spent so much time in a museum reading all the signs/explanations with each exhibited item.

If you only have time for 1 museum whilst in Oslo, I would recommmend the Kon-Tiki!

Even the Viking museum which we visited afterwards could not beat that experience!

Btw, Viking museum is very busy so the earlier you visit probably the quietest. Backpacks/large bags need to go in a locker (no need for coins, code instructions are available) small handbags are fine to take inside.

(From Fram to Viking we took bus 30, fairly easy although it does involve an "direction change" on same number bus. Sounds more complulicated than it is. Or take the museum ferry the other way around!)

We briefly visited the Folk Museum (next to Viking) before taking bus 30 again, changing to bus 20 to Vigeland Park.

Very beautiful, loved all the statures.

We bought some pastries at Vigeland Park (there is a cafe/sandwich shop near the entrance and enjoyed these whilst sat in the shade. It is very sunny today and pretty hot, about 27 Celcius.

From Vigeland we took tram 12 all the way back to Central Station as wanted to revisit the Opera House (I had seen it on my morning walk but couldn't take any good photos due to the angle of the sun, and A hadn't joined me on that walk).

Have to admit the Opera House did remind me a bit of a ski slope.

Walked back to Pursuit via Akkehurst Fortress but by that time hot& tired so didn't linger.

We will go back later this afternoon.

Late, light lunch at Windows terrace (think this the one called Sunset Veranda?) and an strawberry frozen yogurt icecream for me from the Swirl & Serve machine on the Patio.

(Public transport in Oslo is very straightforward and we just showed our Oslo pass to the driver each time)

Photos to follow

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Some more hits and misses...HIT: our awesome in town location in Oslo!

HIT: Newcastle on draft! (I realize some people don’t like it but we think it’s s great improvement on Beck’s!

HIT: Chilean Trio is very good. However, the strobe light is a MISS! Living room is not the atmosphere for it at all!

MISS: We’ve been told the Azamara Dim Sum brunch, which we think is fabulous, is not going to be on this cruise! So sad.

HIT: Stateroom service is excellent! MISS: the A/C was out on our hallway this afternoon. Hopefully it is fixed before bedtime!

HIT: The soups on Azamara continue to be azamazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day 4 evening continued -

Tonight we attended the premiere of Musically Yours!, the new entertainment show featuring the Azamara Pursuit Band and 4 Signature singers.

The thoughts below are very much our personal opinion and others might have different thoughts.

Unfortunately the show didn't appeal to us. That might be us (the show did appear to be better received by other sections of the audience), not them, but we felt that the show was a bit too 'over produced' and some of the song choices did not fit with the voices of the singers. We also think that nerves of it being the first show played a role.

However, the Azamara Pursuit band was outstanding.

Later this evening we went to listen again to the Chilien Trio and much prefer their style. Their first night was a bit challenging but that had more to do with the lack of audience, but by now they are delivering a confident (and well received) performance. They do take song requests.

Tomorrow Kristiansand. No fixed plans yet but someone on this thread (sorry forgot the name but it is on one of the earlier pages) recommended a museum so will investigate that tomorrow morning.

Early night for us, I have been awake since 4 and up since 5.15. I do struggle to sleep well/enough. Nothing to do with the bed (very comfy), sea (very smooth although it is starting to feel a bit choppier) or noise from outside the room (what noise? There isn't any). I just seem to wake up very early each day and can't get back to sleep.

One thing I did learn is that the hot drinks station at Windows is open 24/7 for self service....

Also, in response to a question, our Chef’s Table was the French one and it was so delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to hear, the one I booked is also the French one so I am very much looking forward to it!

Some more hits and misses...HIT: our awesome in town location in Oslo!

HIT: Chilean Trio is very good. However, the strobe light is a MISS! Living room is not the atmosphere for it at all!

HIT: Stateroom service is excellent!

Agree with the above. Just to clarify, we do like the Trio's location in the Living Room but they can completely do without the strobe light