Royal Princess West Coast Debut

Hazegreyunderway

Sorry...I love the Grand...As they say different strokes for different folks. No matter where a Princess ship is or what ship some people will either like or dislike them. You can never please everyone.

Tom😎

Sorry...I love the Grand...As they say different strokes for different folks. No matter where a Princess ship is or what ship some people will either like or dislike them. You can never please everyone.

Tom😎

It's not that the Grand wasn't a good ship in it's day but there are just too many problems with those older ships that just don't make it worth fixing.

They can spend as much as they want to get it back in shape & they still have an old ship in the end which can't begin to make the same profits as a newer one.

All things have a useful life & the Grand is past due so enjoy it while you can.

Are you trying to make me jealous?...Because this is how you make me jealous.:p

LOL! Come with us. We did the 48 day in 2016 and it was glorious!

Cheers, Denise

PS: We do love the Grand even in her senior years.

We aren't completely sold on the Royal experience, but booked a mid-ship balcony on March 23 '19. Got a really good price. It was only $100pp more than an aft inside, plus we got free gratuities. Score!!

We're trying it for the ship (gotta at least take a look see) and the ports (we've only been to Cabo).

Want to come along?? :D

While we are not fans of big ships, and we can't fly, we have booked the Royal for a Feb short cruise. We also have a mid ship balcony.

Have to try it !! ;)

Patti

LOL! Come with us. We did the 48 day in 2016 and it was glorious!

Cheers, Denise

PS: We do love the Grand even in her senior years.

Alas, the DW and I are still working stiffs for at least a couple of more decades...So providing for the available time is a bit of a stretch at the present.

I've been eyeing the various extended South Pacific sailings that HAL offers for quite some time now. A few years back, we were fortunate to do a (RT)Papeete(French Polynesia) sailing on the previous Royal Princess -- when Princess was still offering that itinerary.

It was one of our favorite cruises to-date.

We did a b2b on the Regal a few years back and whilst we prefer the Grand class ships with the Caribe balconies, we enjoyed our time on the Regal, so were excited to see that the Royal was coming to the West coast. We booked the second MR cruise from San Pedro figuring that as she was coming in from a 49 day South American cruise, that it would take a while to clear the ship for embarkation with the first MR cruise. We had booked before the full 19 schedule was released, so when the post Sept cruise schedule was released, we saw that she was coming back to LA after the Alaska season, so we switched from our March date to Thanksgiving week and got S+S included in the cruise fare. Looking forward to our cruise as we've done this itenerary a few times before over Turkey season.

We have sailed the Grand many times, as we live in the Bay Area. It would be nice if ships could rotate around more between ports so we could enjoy some of the other ships. We like the Grand, but also enjoyed the Royal when we took it a few years back. We have also enjoyed many of the other ships in the fleet, so I wouldn't mind having them rotate every few years.

It's not that the Grand wasn't a good ship in it's day but there are just too many problems with those older ships that just don't make it worth fixing..

Princess ships go to austrailia to die.

Sailing from San Francisco is princess' ship hospice.

This is not commentary on these places, but rather an observation of princess' actions.

We are doing my annual birthday cruise on her in April and it can't come soon enough!!

I was able to score one of those forward balconies L101 to be exact and cannot wait to spend time on the balcony. Booked this cruise in June of 2017 with a TA and we got a bev package, prepaid gratuities and a coupon book. I am waiting for her arrival to the West Coast with open arms =)

Princess ships go to austrailia to die.

Sailing from San Francisco is princess' ship hospice.

This is not commentary on these places, but rather an observation of princess' actions.

My spread sheet shows the Grand in California until May of 2010.

Who know where it's headed next....not that I'm following it anyway.

After my next CB trip I'll be sticking only to the Royal class or another cruise line if not sailing out of Florida.

Rust in Peace.

Our balcony was rusting away when I last sailed on it 8 years ago.

I agree about Royal class ships. Just the lido alone is enough reason to choose..

Comparing the buffet on the Grand to that of the Royal......well lets say there is a difference. :cool:

We aren't completely sold on the Royal experience, but booked a mid-ship balcony on March 23 '19. Got a really good price. It was only $100pp more than an aft inside, plus we got free gratuities. Score!!

We're trying it for the ship (gotta at least take a look see) and the ports (we've only been to Cabo).

Want to come along?? :D

Great price. The Royal Class is different. We liked it. And do like some things better on the older ships. We have a Royal, Ruby, and Sapphire cruise booked. We enjoy all the classes of ships for different reasons.

I’m not a hug fan of the big ships either. However the Royal has the best buffet I’ve ever seen on any ship I’ve ever sailed...and I avoid buffets when at all possible, but the Royal’s is impressive!

We have only sailed the Grand, Emerald and the coral. We are use to action stations like on the newer ships for NCL and Royal. Is Royals buffet more open? How is the food different? Breakfast , lunch, and dinner-- which is best on the Royal?

I keep reading about Royals awesome buffet!

We have only sailed the Grand, Emerald and the coral. We are use to action stations like on the newer ships for NCL and Royal. Is Royals buffet more open? How is the food different? Breakfast , lunch, and dinner-- which is best on the Royal?

I keep reading about Royals awesome buffet!

Here’s a link to CC photos of the expansive Horizon Court buffet:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/horizon-court-229670/

There’s a wide variety of tasty food options including a bakery shop in the middle. There are several carving stations & food from around the world. I like their food anytime of the day & they’re continuously open from about 6AM until 11PM.

Royal-class ships are the only Princess ships that have coffee machines that provide free coffee made from ground coffee & not from coffee concentrate.

Wow!!! Such a big diffrence when compared to the Grand, Ruby, Emerald, and Coral. We love Princess but hated the buffets. Great improvement!!!!

(y) :)

It’s easily the best we’ve experienced & have read posts from those who have sailed on more cruise lines than us who felt the same way.

(y) :)

It’s easily the best we’ve experienced & have read posts from those who have sailed on more cruise lines than us who felt the same way.

Good photo's....the only thing they don't convey is the improved quality of the food that we've always found to be much better than any of the other Princess ships. :)clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927