Royal Princess West Coast Debut

Hazegreyunderway

Hi all,

We just received our princess catalog in the mail and noticed that the Royal Princess will be making its west coast debut in April 2019.

Are they planning to retire or swap out any of the older ships like the Grand or Golden?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know I am in the minority, but not excited about the Royal being based in San Pedro. The Golden will be transferred to P&O. We still have the Star here, but guessing not for much longer. I am not a fan of the bigger ships (Crown, Ruby, Emerald).

Sigh, what will I do?

The Royal will arrive on March 23, 2019. We will be disembarking after a 49 day cruise around South America.

Unfortunately, the move is to larger ships on all the lines. HAL is still sailing several smaller ships. For that reason, our next two cruises after the Royal will be on HAL. Not to mention two great itineraries. 21 day Alaska RT San Francisco and 51day South Pacific RT San Diego.

Cheers, Denise

Golden Princess is leaving the fleet Spring 2020.

There was just a lengthy thread over the weekend speculating on whether Grand will be going elsewhere than San Francisco once deployments later than Spring 2020 (which has Grand continuously in San Francisco until then) are announced.

Princess is clearly "all in" on Royal Princess sailing from Los Angeles as both Emerald Princess (summer 2019 in Europe, winter 2019-20 doing full transits of Panama Canal) and Ruby Princess (a one-off [for now] season in Australia) will move elsewhere--though it appears both will be back in Alaska for Summer 2020 which should open for booking in December.

Plans are to base her in LA doing cruise s to Alaska, Mexico and Hawaii

The Royal does not have any Hawaii cruises scheduled but does have CA Coastal cruises...4-7 days.

If you’re discussing the Grand it shows sailing from SF through Spring 2020.

I know I am in the minority, but not excited about the Royal being based in San Pedro. The Golden will be transferred to P&O. We still have the Star here, but guessing not for much longer. I am not a fan of the bigger ships (Crown, Ruby, Emerald).

Sigh, what will I do?

We aren't completely sold on the Royal experience, but booked a mid-ship balcony on March 23 '19. Got a really good price. It was only $100pp more than an aft inside, plus we got free gratuities. Score!!

We're trying it for the ship (gotta at least take a look see) and the ports (we've only been to Cabo).

Want to come along?? :D

We just don’t enjoy, and therefore don’t sail on the larger ships. I keep reading about the cruise lines moving in this direction because it is what the passengers want -the larger ships. But it seems like I keep reading just as much if not more that passengers prefer the smaller ones.

I tend to believe it’s about the net profit over passenger wants.

Regardless, we will follow the smaller ships -the Grands, HAL, Viking, etc. I just hope that the option of choosing size continues in the future.

The Royal will arrive on March 23, 2019. We will be disembarking after a 49 day cruise around South America.

Unfortunately, the move is to larger ships on all the lines. HAL is still sailing several smaller ships. For that reason, our next two cruises after the Royal will be on HAL.

Cheers, Denise

Actually RCL's premium line has a new ship Azamara Pursuit coming soon and I booked it for a 16 night South America. It's 690 passengers so there are smaller ships and i prefer them to the behemest ones they're building.

We aren't completely sold on the Royal experience, but booked a mid-ship balcony on March 23 '19. Got a really good price. It was only $100pp more than an aft inside, plus we got free gratuities. Score!!

We're trying it for the ship (gotta at least take a look see) and the ports (we've only been to Cabo).

Want to come along?? :D

We are at least doing the coastal starting May 4. There is already a group signed up on CC doing it.

Sigh, what will I do?

I with you, we did a TA on the Royal last year from Barcelona to Florida, it was okay... I much prefer the Grand class... especially like the Grand in SF and next the Ruby...

Style and service on this class of ship is far superior ... HAL still has ships of a similar style... service on Princess is better for me.

Hi all,

We just received our princess catalog in the mail and noticed that the Royal Princess will be making its west coast debut in April 2019.

Are they planning to retire or swap out any of the older ships like the Grand or Golden?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They move ships around every year, hope it stays a while.

The Royal does not have any Hawaii cruises scheduled but does have CA Coastal cruises...4-7 days.

If you’re discussing the Grand it shows sailing from SF through Spring 2020.

And the Grand's last sailing that is currently scheduled is SF to Vancouver in the spring of 2020. That's unusual for her, she usually only does roundtrips from SF. Maybe we'll get a different ship in SF after that?? Time will tell. Maybe she will be doing some shorter itineraries. She actually has a 5 night SF roundtrip sailing scheduled for the beginning of 2020.

For that reason, our next two cruises after the Royal will be on HAL. Not to mention two great itineraries.....51day South Pacific RT San Diego.

Cheers, Denise

Are you trying to make me jealous?...Because this is how you make me jealous.:p

I created this thread because we wondered if the Royal was replacing or “swapping” out the Grand in SFO. The Royal is now going to be in San Pedro.

My bigger question is why does the Golden go to P & O when it’s built in 2001 and the Grand stay in the fleet when it floated in 1998?

For years there have been threads complaining that Princess only home ported the oldest ships on the west coast and really wanting a newer ship there.

Well, sometimes you get what you ask for.

(Of course not everyone asked for it.)

For years there have been threads complaining that Princess only home ported the oldest ships on the west coast and really wanting a newer ship there.

You are so correct....people are never happy it seems on Princess CC.....so glad to see Royal class ships coming to the West Coast too.....:cool:

I created this thread because we wondered if the Royal was replacing or “swapping” out the Grand in SFO. The Royal is now going to be in San Pedro.

My bigger question is why does the Golden go to P & O when it’s built in 2001 and the Grand stay in the fleet when it floated in 1998?

We were on the Grand last month and a crew member told us that the Grand will be leaving Princess. I took that piece of information with a grain of salt until I see something official. But as previous posters have said it does appear that she will be leaving SF when she goes up to Vancouver in May 2020 and I don't think it is a dry dock as I recall reading that she is going in to dry dock in March next year.

Sigh, what will I do?

I’m not excited agout Royal being based on the west coast either, but only because we loved sailing her out of Florida. The only bigger ship we ever felt crowded on was NCL Breakawy. We have found that every ship has aspects that we like and some we don’t. We love Alfedos on Royal, and the buffet is head and shoulders above the Grand class buffets.