Time to get to Sydney Airport from ship

We will be sailing into Sydney on a 600 passenger ship Thursday 20th Dec with an overnight with unloading starting at 6am Friday 21st Dec. Only hassle is it is going to be tender to get ashore. At the moment we have a flight leaving Sydney Airport for NZ at 12.15 which means we have to be at the airport about 10.15 am. We can get a 4.15pm flight which I think could be safer

What you reckon as we have never done a tender port for a departure with luggage as the ship has always been parked up to the wharf up to now

Only 600 passengers isn't a lot.

I just searched and their tenders can operate with a capacity of 120. Given the ship is docked overnight you don't have to worry about a late arrival for any reason. And departures will likely operate from say 7 a.m.

Even if you were very last in a long queue (unlikely since some would be staying on til later, or b2b) and even if they only operated at half capacity, at 60, that would mean it would take 10 tenders. At a typical turn around time of 10 minutes, with two operating, you should be off at 8:40 a.m. But as said, I can't see you at the back of the queue if you wanted to leave earlier - not everyone wants to be off early.

You should be able to get to the airport by 10:15 with that sort of departure.

If it were me, I'd take the earlier flight, but depends on personal preference as to whether you want to head off quickly or like to hang around.

I have just checked the Sydney Ports site and it would seem that your ship may be the Seaborne Encore. Is this correct? If so, you are not tendering, you are docking at White Bay Cruise Terminal. I would suggest that you check with your cruise line - they should be able to confirm that you are docking at White Bay.

I have just checked the Sydney Ports site and it would seem that your ship may be the Seaborne Encore. Is this correct? If so, you are not tendering, you are docking at White Bay Cruise Terminal. I would suggest that you check with your cruise line - they should be able to confirm that you are docking at White Bay.

joybook you are correct we are on the Encore

We have just got hold of the travel agent and had him change flights to the later time

Decided that we might as well have a nice relaxing Seabourn breakfast then wander ashore. I just thought the earlier flight could be pushing it

Seabourns site says its a tender port so it looks like things have changed but not updated

December 21, 2018 Arrives 06:00 AM

Sydney, Australia TCVX

When I checked the site, Encore was docked the first day, but will move out to a tender port overnight. Hence the advice received from Seabourne is correct.

If you're happy to hang around that's a nice way to ensure you'll meet the flight. Does mean a later arrival back to NZ though.

joybook you are correct we are on the Encore

We have just got hold of the travel agent and had him change flights to the later time

Decided that we might as well have a nice relaxing Seabourn breakfast then wander ashore. I just thought the earlier flight could be pushing it

I think you made the right decision, no use being stressed after a holiday.

If my information is correct, the ship will be docked at White Bay on both 20th and 21st December.

joybook Seabourn still say we arrive at 4pm 20th with a tender then the 21st being tender as well so it will be interesting to see what happens even though it doesn't really matter. We will just stay on the ship until they kick us off then I would think it would take less than a hour to get to the airport

I wanted to stay on the Encore to travel around NZ getting off at Auckland but wife would not have anything to do with that idea even though I tried by saying we wouldn't have to pay for the flight from Sydney to Auckland.

Its funny but it seems Seabourn are having trouble filling the ship on this cruise from Bali to Sydney as the price has dropped about $4 grand each with the flash cabins still available whereas the following cruise of 18 odd days to NZ seems to be selling with the flash cabins price on application

joybook Seabourn still say we arrive at 4pm 20th with a tender then the 21st being tender as well so it will be interesting to see what happens even though it doesn't really matter. We will just stay on the ship until they kick us off then I would think it would take less than a hour to get to the airport

I wanted to stay on the Encore to travel around NZ getting off at Auckland but wife would not have anything to do with that idea even though I tried by saying we wouldn't have to pay for the flight from Sydney to Auckland.

Its funny but it seems Seabourn are having trouble filling the ship on this cruise from Bali to Sydney as the price has dropped about $4 grand each with the flash cabins still available whereas the following cruise of 18 odd days to NZ seems to be selling with the flash cabins price on application

Good to see someone else on this board travelling on a luxury ship.

My wife and I are considering a trip with Seabourn next April from Bali to Singapore. The prices are quite inexpensive for such an upmarket line.

The time it takes you to get to the airport would depend upon where in the Harbour the ship is moored. If it’s on the wrong side of the Bridge, then the taxi w might take longer to get to the Airport than if you tendered into Circular Quay or somewhere in the Eastern suburbs

The time it takes you to get to the airport would depend upon where in the Harbour the ship is moored. If it’s on the wrong side of the Bridge, then the taxi w might take longer to get to the Airport than if you tendered into Circular Quay or somewhere in the Eastern suburbs

Tenders will be dropping off at White Bay.

I'm sure they'll unload luggage while the ship is berthed there, then pull out and tender just pax ashore. Makes things simpler that way.

The Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule is showing them at White Bay on the 20th and White Bay No 4 on the 21st.

Norwegian Jewel 20-Dec-2018 06:30 (Thu) 20-Dec-2018 18:45 (Thu) Overseas Passenger Terminal

Seabourn Encore 20-Dec-2018 07:00 (Thu) 21-Dec-2018 05:00 (Fri) White Bay Cruise Terminal

Radiance of the Seas 21-Dec-2018 06:00 (Fri) 21-Dec-2018 16:30 (Fri) Overseas Passenger Terminal

Seabourn Encore 21-Dec-2018 06:00 (Fri) 21-Dec-2018 19:00 (Fri) White Bay 4

Maasdam 21-Dec-2018 07:00 (Fri) 21-Dec-2018 18:30 (Fri) White Bay Cruise Terminal

Ovation of the Seas 22-Dec-2018 06:30 (Sat) 22-Dec-2018 18:30 (Sat) Overseas Passenger Terminal

Noordam 22-Dec-2018 07:00 (Sat) 22-Dec-2018 18:30 (Sat) White Bay Cruise Terminal

My wife and I are considering a trip with Seabourn next April from Bali to Singapore. The prices are quite inexpensive for such an upmarket line.

s[/quote

Where people think Seabourn are expensive is that the price advertised is the price when you leave the ship unlike other shipping lines one gets charged extra for drink packages, fancy restaurants, etc etc. Excursions are about the only extra. You really have to try Seabourn to understand why people like Seabourn. My travel agent went onto the Encore when she was in Auckland and could not get over the size of the cheap cabins as compared to what one would have to pay other cruise lines for the same square metres

If you decide to go with Seabourn I can organize a Referral Coupon US$400 OBC for you as a first time Seabourn cruiser if you like

s[/quote

Where people think Seabourn are expensive is that the price advertised is the price when you leave the ship unlike other shipping lines one gets charged extra for drink packages, fancy restaurants, etc etc. Excursions are about the only extra. You really have to try Seabourn to understand why people like Seabourn. My travel agent went onto the Encore when she was in Auckland and could not get over the size of the cheap cabins as compared to what one would have to pay other cruise lines for the same square metres

If you decide to go with Seabourn I can organize a Referral Coupon US$400 OBC for you as a first time Seabourn cruiser if you like

I agree that the all inclusive nature of luxury cruise lines is one of the best reasons for sailing with them.

They are more expensive, but worth it if you want the best service and food.

My wife and I usually sail with SeaDream because we like the idea of yachting rather than cruising.

We tried Regent, but it was bit stodgy and not quite as exclusive.

We are doing a B2B on SeaDream over the New Year, so I’m not sure if we will be ready for another cruise for our Anniversary in April. If so, we will then definitely try Seabourn

Tenders will be dropping off at White Bay.

I'm sure they'll unload luggage while the ship is berthed there, then pull out and tender just pax ashore. Makes things simpler that way.

In that case it would be wise to take the later flight, because getting to the airport from White Bay will take longer than it does from the City.

In that case it would be wise to take the later flight, because getting to the airport from White Bay will take longer than it does from the City.

The ~10 minute difference is neither here nor there in terms of getting there. It's realistic for the window to get there to be 2 and a quarter hours, which is more than adequate.

Thank you everybody for finding out where we will be unloading. We now have the later flight so now there is no panic. Seabourn are very good with helping people with departure times to suit the passengers I have heard so we will just leave as late as we can. One of the advantages of small ships I think we can check into the airport three hours before our flight and flying business class so we will have the use of the lounge to fill in more time.

Recently we were at Isles of Pines and were told the previous large ship had people waiting on the wharf for two and a half hours standing in the sun waiting for a tender whereas we just walked straight onto our tender. This is why I do not mind paying a little extra for Seabourn. No queues

Had a bright idea to fill in a bit of time is to see if Seabourn run a ticky tour to the airport

Probably a bit pricey compared to a taxi but we would get to see a bit of Sydney again since its been a couple of years since we have been there

Looking forward to sailing into the second best harbour in the world :) in the afternoon instead of very early in the morning as we have done in the past

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoy your cruise, Thecat. I think you made a great decision. While technically you would have had plenty of time, Sydney can be unpredictable and traffic can be stressful. I always to have extra time up my sleeve when it comes to flying from Sydney.