Early bird gets the chair

RTV Man

9:30? You sleep in that late and it's the back row for you. The late risers will never win this battle ..... Best just to get up as early as those you dispise and claim your chair before they do. You simply can't sleep in with 5000 passengers aboard and actually expect to get a nice perfect seat next to the pool.

The issue isn't sleeping in late or getting up early. The problem is that people are saving chairs and not occupying them.

The issue isn't sleeping in late or getting up early. The problem is that people are saving chairs and not occupying them.
Like most issues that become hot topics on here, the issue is the failure of the cruise line to enforce their own rules. It's one thing to struggle with the day to day, but this an issue they do not take seriously. It is not our job to manage each other.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

None of the above. I just have no desire to wake up early, ESPECIALLY on vacation.

I have no desire to wake up early on vacation either!! I get up at 4 am for work and my husband is a musician who often comes to bed at 3 am after getting home from a gig. This is the same lame argument about room service charging - if you order room service early there is no charge - well we come in late!

No one is in charge of how I spend my time on a crusie ship or when I sleep and get up. But there should be someone in charge of enforcing the rules!

9:30? You sleep in that late and it's the back row for you. The late risers will never win this battle ..... Best just to get up as early as those you dispise and claim your chair before they do. You simply can't sleep in with 5000 passengers aboard and actually expect to get a nice perfect seat next to the pool.

Mot right to come grab chairs and leave for hours. They should not let this happen

Like most issues that become hot topics on here, the issue is the failure of the cruise line to enforce their own rules. It's one thing to struggle with the day to day, but this an issue they do not take seriously. It is not our job to manage each other.

Agreed. While I would have no problem moving a towel, passengers shouldn't be put in that awkward situation.

We booked Havana on the Horizon so hope this is a non issue for us.

I guess I might need to clarify a couple things. I usually wake up at 7, so going out and getting a couple of chairs isn’t really the problem. It’s more the fact that you have to do it that is the problem. Also, I don’t care for the chairs on Lido itself. Horizon has great wicker chairs with pads on deck 11 aft that can be both in the sun and shade. Those are where we sat every day.

The problem is that ppl put their stuff on chairs and don’t use them for 2 or 3 hrs and Carnival staff do nothing about it. I have no problem moving someone’s stuff if they haven’t been around for a long period of time, but why should I. There is a guy just standing by the pool doing nothing but watching, shouldn’t he at least i force Carnivals rules. Or is Carnival, just like so many other company’s cowering to the possibility of a bad comment that they do nothing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is more of where they draw the line (not the time line, but the one of getting in the weeds of their clients vacations. Sometimes the lessor of two evils wins out. That said, we dis see them mark and then remove towels on our Horizon sailing, but certainly not religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I might need to clarify a couple things. I usually wake up at 7, so going out and getting a couple of chairs isn’t really the problem. It’s more the fact that you have to do it that is the problem. Also, I don’t care for the chairs on Lido itself. Horizon has great wicker chairs with pads on deck 11 aft that can be both in the sun and shade. Those are where we sat every day.

The problem is that ppl put their stuff on chairs and don’t use them for 2 or 3 hrs and Carnival staff do nothing about it. I have no problem moving someone’s stuff if they haven’t been around for a long period of time, but why should I. There is a guy just standing by the pool doing nothing but watching, shouldn’t he at least i force Carnivals rules. Or is Carnival, just like so many other company’s cowering to the possibility of a bad comment that they do nothing?

It is totally aggravating, I agree. I'm not sure who is suppose to enforce the rules - but it's not the "guy just standing by the pool doing nothing but watching." He (or she) is there for safety reasons - kind of like a life guard. This is a fairly new policy with CCL - he can't be walking around chairs, marking them somehow with the time the stuff was left, then going to pick up the items, turn them in, etc. and still be the "life guard."

Keeping up with how long things have been out on chairs & removing them would be a full time job. I think that they should add something to the sign advising that your things will be turned into the towel hut after 30 minutes that lets us know that it's okay for other passengers to turn the stuff in. This would empower us without making us nervously watch for the offender to appear and worry about getting into a confrontation and would let the offenders know that people WILL move your stuff after 30 minutes.

None of the above. I just have no desire to wake up early, ESPECIALLY on vacation.

According to this study the majority of adults are awake by 6:30am

http://www.edisonresearch.com/wake-me-up-series-2/

I, by the way, am only kidding. Get up when you feel it. More bacon for me!

I prefer to get up early on vacation to increase my time off. Then I sleep late the first week back to work to get caught up. Just saying.

Totally Agree!!!!

It is more of where they draw the line (not the time line, but the one of getting in the weeds of their clients vacations. Sometimes the lessor of two evils wins out. That said, we dis see them mark and then remove towels on our Horizon sailing, but certainly not religiously.

Jimbo, that's an important point. Saying its Carnival's problem to fix is not the same as thinking it's easy to fix. It is waking a line between keeping order, and not angering large numbers of people. If it becomes to big an issue, I fear they'll start reserving chairs for a fee.

Jimbo, that's an important point. Saying its Carnival's problem to fix is not the same as thinking it's easy to fix. It is waking a line between keeping order, and not angering large numbers of people. If it becomes to big an issue, I fear they'll start reserving chairs for a fee.

I do not think it is easy, and I tend to watch closely when I see it happening. If they really start enforcing it, the ones that have been abusing it forever will b screaming from the mountain tops about their vacation and nobody will tell them what they can do (or not do).

That said, I would be shocked if Carnival ever charged for chairs at the main pool. It is just not them.

I do not think it is easy, and I tend to watch closely when I see it happening. If they really start enforcing it, the ones that have been abusing it forever will b screaming from the mountain tops about their vacation and nobody will tell them what they can do (or not do).

That said, I would be shocked if Carnival ever charged for chairs at the main pool. It is just not them.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you felt it was easy. The comment was more of clarifying my earlier statement.

It's a shame because by and large, there are enough chairs, in enough places, for everyone who actually wants to use them.

Why doesn't Carnival enforce? It's probably a no-win scenario. I could only imagine the stories and entitlement if they actually enforced it. Until then, I'm all for other cruisers stealing the towels of those who put it there for hours.

It's a shame because by and large, there are enough chairs, in enough places, for everyone who actually wants to use them.

Why doesn't Carnival enforce? It's probably a no-win scenario. I could only imagine the stories and entitlement if they actually enforced it. Until then, I'm all for other cruisers stealing the towels of those who put it there for hours.

I believe that they start marking and removing only when enough people have complained. I agree on the no win comment.

well if they're not going to enforce the rule that says you can't save a chair for more than 30 minutes, then why would you expect them to enforce a rule that allows you to save a chair for up to 30 minutes. If there isn't a butt in the chair, sit in it.

When I say it's Carnival's problem to fix, I don' mean make everyone happy. I mean get themselves out of the middle. Come on Carnival smarten up. Quit claiming to be able to do more than you can, and just adjust the policies to reality. Deck chairs are first com first serve. I don't know why Carnival wants to claim they will help you, when they can't.

There are two ways land resorts (I'm aware of) deal with this: 1. No rules at all, and 2. Reserved loungers. If you want to know for sure you have a chair when you want it, you reserve it. If not, you hunt and peck. The reserved are in their own area. This is basically the Havana approach. Let's not kid ourselves that they can't or won't take 25 percent of loungers and make them reserved. For every person who complains, there will be a person saying "I like it, now I know there's a chair with my name on on it. It's well worth $xx.xx". Come on they get people to pay $80 to get on one hour early, and it sells out in minutes. "Guaranteed Pool Side Lounger" $50 per passenger for the entire cruise, would be the second thing to sell out.

It's funny how the more things you try to fix for clients, the more complaints you generate. The cruise lines provide a ton of service and a very good experience for the money. They also build unrealistic expectations and pay the price in terms of complaints.

If Carnival were my client, policies being considered:

Deck chairs are first come first serve

Dining room dress code is cruise casual (feel free to dress up more if you want)

ADA does not require accommodation of Emotional Support animals, sorry for the inconvenience. Service Animals included in ADA Regulations will of course be accommodated.

Elevators will be crowded at peek times, there is one elevator in each bank reserved for people with mobility issues

Kids will be here acting like kids

You will encounter rude people

You will have to stand in line from time to time

It's not about taking thing from you, it's about honesty.

I never understood the desire to be in the middle of the loud over crowded area when there's so many other places to sit and enjoy oneself and even talk without having to yell ! Give me a chair on a high deck in the shade any day !

I'm with you on this. I have only been on 2 cruises but have not had the desire to sit in that noisy area or step foot in that overcrowded pool.

But the point is there should be NO saving chairs, unless you are in them. It does not matter if you sleep in. You go there when you are ready to sit your butt in that chair, and not before.