This is why you buy travel insurance

We were scheduled to leave for the Oasis of the Seas on this Sunday when...

38391992_2052839651401666_162663751667941376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a3dce991a0236230b302eaad9e2139d9&oe=5C074B14

...this happened.

Fell at camp and got two fractures in his arm. Swelling is so bad that his doctor said, "Absolutely no travel, especially flying." Which sort of put a damper on the whole trip.

After the shock wore off, I called my travel agent and forced myself to say, "Cancel our trip." Those were not easy words to utter, my friends. But she assured me that I would be getting 100% reimbursement. Which means...no problem, I'll just book another damn cruise with this kid once his arms heals. Maybe I'll even be a bad mom and pull him out of school.

My little patient is okay, feeling fine except for a little pressure in his arm. He is now in a full-arm cast which will stay on for four weeks. Arrrrgh. Kids.

But, feeling very relieved that I bought the insurance. Today's "mishap" just means that our cruise got pushed out. You never know what will happen!

Today's lesson: BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE, PEOPLE!

Edited by hucifer
stuff and things

Oh my! I am so sorry! I hope your lil' guy recovers relatively quickly. My son fractured both bones in the arm last summer. No fun! Glad you still get to take your trip at a later date.

This was a timely post as I was just researching trip insurance for an upcoming cruise. I could kick myself though now that I am outside of 15 day window of deposit. Anyhow, may I ask what company and plan you purchased?

Thanks!

Sorry to see your little lad in that way :( At least it will heal though and he'll be ready to go on another adventure :)

Always annoys me these morons crying on the RCI Facebook Page that it's disgraceful their once in a lifetime trip they spent thousands of $$$$ on has been cancelled due to illness and RCI won't let them reschedule and they didn't have insurance because they didn't think they'd need it and it's poor customer service blah blah blah. Why should they make an exception for the thousands and thousands of people who do have insurance!

Oh my! I am so sorry! I hope your lil' guy recovers relatively quickly. My son fractured both bones in the arm last summer. No fun! Glad you still get to take your trip at a later date.

This was a timely post as I was just researching trip insurance for an upcoming cruise. I could kick myself though now that I am outside of 15 day window of deposit. Anyhow, may I ask what company and plan you purchased?

Thanks!

Well, first of all, your screen name is hilarious. Second, the insurance is called Allianz Travel Insurance, which I think is through RCI. My travel agent had recommended it, said it was very good coverage. It was $118 for the two of us. Since she did all the paperwork, I really don't know much more than that.

I see you also have experience with arm fractures. How long was your son in his cast?

Thanks!

We used travelinsured.com and just had to be before final payment if I recall correctly. This was recommended to us by my sister in law who is a travel agent. Hopefully this helps you out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to see your little lad in that way :( At least it will heal though and he'll be ready to go on another adventure :)

Exactly! There is a silver lining!

Wishing your little man a very speedy recovery! Real life sometimes gets in the way of vacation plans, and I'm glad you had insurance to take the sting out of cancelling. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Thank you!

I wanted people to see a real-world example of why the insurance is worth the money. $118 for insurance and I got over $2000 back. All of this just three days before the cruise.

Exactly! There is a silver lining!

Thank you!

I wanted people to see a real-world example of why the insurance is worth the money. $118 for insurance and I got over $2000 back. All of this just three days before the cruise.

There are people who prefer to self insure because in their mind the $2000 is already spent so why insure it? I personally think that if I can get it back so I can plan another vacation it's a sound choice to make. (And fortunately this didn't happen while on the cruise and I also hope he heals quickly.)

Oh man I am so sorry. I shattered my elbow 10 days before my last RCCL cruise. I had surgery on that Monday morning before the trip. My doc asked if I still wanted and to go and I said "uh YEAH! This is my honeymoon and I am not missing it". He said "ok, we will make sure you don't miss it". So that Monday morning I went in for my surgery, off pain meds by Wednesday, and on Sunday I got on the ship. Granted I was in full cast from above the tricep to my wrist but I didn't care. I enjoyed the pool (the shallow part with 6 inches of water), drank, and laid by the pool. I had a weird tan line, had to answer the same question 3000 times of "did you do that on the ship?", and my husband had to help me do most everything. But it was still a great trip. The next cruise was even better because I wasn't in a cast. I don't cruise without trip insurance and I also have the Allianz one too. So cheap for all the protection it offers. Hopefully you can take a cruise very soon and put this whole mess behind you.

I’ve always bought travel insurance “just in case”. The “just in case” actually came true on my last 2 cruises. Nothing major but both issues needed help from the ships doctor. When I got home, I filed claims and had the fees charged by the doctor refunded.

Well, first of all, your screen name is hilarious. Second, the insurance is called Allianz Travel Insurance, which I think is through RCI. My travel agent had recommended it, said it was very good coverage. It was $118 for the two of us. Since she did all the paperwork, I really don't know much more than that.

I see you also have experience with arm fractures. How long was your son in his cast?

I'm so, so sorry about his injury. Thankfully, he's young and will heal quickly. And kudos for having insurance.

Allianz isn't through RCI. While you can buy it independently, it's also a product we as agents sell our clients, so that's why she offered it to you. It's great and provides excellent coverage, especially since you can get the pre-existing condition waiver as long as you purchase it prior to final payment, and you were medically fit to travel on the day you buy.

Kids heal and ships sail. Sending healing vibes his way.

There are people who prefer to self insure because in their mind the $2000 is already spent so why insure it? I personally think that if I can get it back so I can plan another vacation it's a sound choice to make. (And fortunately this didn't happen while on the cruise and I also hope he heals quickly.)

Yes, I suppose there are a few ways to look at it. Although it is already spent, I see it as RCI is giving me a free cruise in the future. :)

Oh no!! I’m so sorry :-( Did your Dr say how long until he can travel? I double ruptured my the same eardrum, my doctor had put me on a no flying for 4 weeks restriction which has just passed (I travel weekly for work). But then I found out I have Valley Fever, which is just fungal so I’ll survive. Perks of living in AZ. Joy.

I always use Insuremytrip.com, as they have a lot of plans to choose from. Nationwide has a specific policy for cruising, and you can add a cancel for any reason endorsement.

We’re on Oasis on 8/12. I hope your son’s arm heals quickly and you can reschedule very soon. I know there was still space on the 8/26 booking....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one thing I wondered about.

We buy insurance now...didn't used to.

If, by chance, you have to cancel, who do you call? I would assume the insurance company, but it seems like the OP called his TA first and the TA took care of dealing with the insurance company. Is this correct?

That's one thing I wondered about.

We buy insurance now...didn't used to.

If, by chance, you have to cancel, who do you call? I would assume the insurance company, but it seems like the OP called his TA first and the TA took care of dealing with the insurance company. Is this correct?

You would file a claim with the insurance company and they would advise how to proceed.

We are horrible parents. The day before our Princess cruise my son was hitting the heavy bag at a friends. He sad he hurt his wrist but he really wasn’t complaining. We flew to Ft Lauderdale got on the ship. The next day we were out to sea and his wrist blew up. Turns out he fractured it. We went to the ships Dr she took an X-ray and set his arm in a cast. Half way through the trip they reset it. The bill came to $200. Less money than my wife spent to have her hair and nails done on board. I never put a claim through to my insurance and I didn’t even think about putting the claim through thePrincess insurance that I purchased. It would have cost more out of pocket if this had been taken care of at home. I couldn’t believe the state of the art medical facility. When we returned home we brought him to the orthopedist. He took an x ray said the Dr. did an excellent job and billed my insurance company $1200 plus the $50 co-pay I gave him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the information. :) I don't know the specifics of your son's injury but mine fractured both bones and required an ambulance ride and manual reduction. No surgery was required. Thank goodness! If my memory serves me right, my son was in an above the arm cast for 4 weeks. Then he was in a short arm cast for 4 weeks and finally they put him in a hard brace for 4-6 weeks. We were thankful that they gave us a second hard brace as we went out to GTNP and Yellowstone and did white water rafting and such mid August.

Again, wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Anyone here have experience cancelling one member of a traveling party? I leave in a week, and it turns out my daughter won't be able to get away from work (boss can't spare her for that long)...

I bought 3rd party insurance, but this is what they said to me "You will probably be charged the single supplement from the cruise line but insurance won't cover that because she is cancelling for a non-covered reason"...

Even though I purchased insurance that allows "cancel for any reason"???

I don't know why I'm struggling to wrap my head around this.

Anyone here have experience cancelling one member of a traveling party? I leave in a week, and it turns out my daughter won't be able to get away from work (boss can't spare her for that long)...

I bought 3rd party insurance, but this is what they said to me "You will probably be charged the single supplement from the cruise line but insurance won't cover that because she is cancelling for a non-covered reason"...

Don’t cancel, just tell them she no-showed at the port. Since you’ve already paid, no reason to make any changes. Unless you can find someone to take her spot.

Don’t cancel, just tell them she no-showed at the port. Since you’ve already paid, no reason to make any changes. Unless you can find someone to take her spot.

LOL, I've tried. Apparently most people can't just pick up and leave at a moments notice.

What I'm trying to understand is, what's the point of "cancel for any reason" insurance?

I'm going to have her ask her boss if he'd be willing to give her something in writing saying she can't have those days off. This is what they said "You or Your Traveling Companion, neither of whom is a company owner or partner, are required to work during the scheduled Trip, as attested in writing by an unrelated company official and/or the company’s Human Resources Department;"

Is there any benefit to canceling her vs not canceling her?

I'd have a hard time understanding it also. What does "cancel for any reason" mean if you can't cancel for any reason?

I don't think the people who say that understand what "self insure" means. Because they aren't insuring anything, they're just shrugging it off and saying "oh well, better luck next time". Yeah, the money is already spent, but when you also don't have what you spent it on, it's no different than just throwing it out the window. We work much too hard for our money to just shrug it off. But to each their own, I suppose.

LOL, I've tried. Apparently most people can't just pick up and leave at a moments notice.

What I'm trying to understand is, what's the point of "cancel for any reason" insurance?

I'm going to have her ask her boss if he'd be willing to give her something in writing saying she can't have those days off. This is what they said "You or Your Traveling Companion, neither of whom is a company owner or partner, are required to work during the scheduled Trip, as attested in writing by an unrelated company official and/or the company’s Human Resources Department;"

Is there any benefit to canceling her vs not canceling her?

I would say get the letter. Because work related issues are usually covered even if you don’t have cancel for any reason.

Submit that letter and I would think you’ll be good to go to get her fare refunded. You shouldn’t have to pay a single supplement since you already paid for two.

Work related reasons are not always covered under travel insurance. Many times, you need to purchase a cancel for any reason policy to get the work coverage.

If the PP has CFAR coverage, and she's 1 week out from her trip, and gets the letter from her daughter's employer denying her the vacation time, then the insurer gets involved.

Now, when she cancels the daughter with the cruise line, the daughter's fare becomes a "cancellation penalty". That means that the OP is now sailing as a single. And the cruise line can now add a single supplement to her fare, because the daughter's fare is no longer in play.

The insurance company then should be next in line, and they should refund the daughter's lost fare, plus they should cover any single supplement that the cruise line charges to the PP for sailing on her own.

At least that's what I've seen happen. People wrongly think that the second person's fare is paid so why would they charge the supplement; because the fare changed to a penalty amount when the cancellation occurred. Now, the cabin only has 1 fare charged to it.

Hope that makes sense.