Where to stay in Venice

MikeNKim

looking for suggestions please

Flying into Marco Polo airport. Is this close to the port? Tried google search but I couldn’t locate the port address

Any suggestions on hotels for 1 night pre-cruise? Not super expensive but safe; clean and convenient to the airport and port.

Thank you

Kim

The trip from the airport to Venice hotels is not particularly easy. There are various ways to do it, depending upon where your hotel is. It's a bit complicated, or I'd explain the options. However, suffice it to say that if you want to make things easier for yourself, you may want to pick a hotel that's not too far from an ACTV vaporetto (city water "bus") or Alilaguna (other water "bus") stop, and doesn't require walking over too many bridges, even though most bridges in Venice are small. Some hotels may be wonderful, and in great locations, but not easy to get to, especially with luggage. For those hotels, you might end up struggling with luggage and/or needing to take a water TAXI (more expensive) from the airport, and possibly to the port.

We stayed at Hotel Rio two years ago. The location is good for getting both from the airport and to the port, although the hotel was certainly not anything approaching luxury. We prefer the little European places rather than the big name places, so it was fine for us - and reasonably priced.

If you're just looking for something close to the port, and are mostly just spending a night there as insurance against missing the cruise, there are easy options. Perhaps you can get a general idea of those by looking at tomsportguides.com and finding the Venice port guide.

I think the port would be called "Stazione Maritima" or something like that on Google.

Edited by roothy123

The airport is about a 20 minute drive to the port area.

If you're arriving late and tired you may want to stay near the airport. A taxi to the port in the morning will run about 40-45E.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-airport-hotels.htm

Better idea: do some sightseeing in the morning before boarding the ship, so stay in Mestre or in Venice near Piazzale Roma.

-Mestre is the last town on the mainland before crossing the causeway into Venice. You can take the ATVO express bus for about 7E pp from the airport to Mestre .

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels.htm

- Piazzale Roma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, and cars drop off pax. Again, about 7E for the ATVO airport express bus or 40/45E for a cab. https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/10-hotels-near-cruise-ships.htm

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia near the Piazzale di Roma. The airport ATVO bus goes directly to P. Roma. We walked less than 500 feet to the hotel. It's a nice hotel with a great breakfast. Then the next day you can walk to the People Mover which takes you the port where your ship is. Easy. Convenient. worth it.

If you want to spend the day sightseeing, you would take the #1 or #2 vaperetto from P. Roma down the Grand Canal to San Marco and then back again.

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia near the Piazzale di Roma. The airport ATVO bus goes directly to P. Roma. We walked less than 500 feet to the hotel. It's a nice hotel with a great breakfast. Then the next day you can walk to the People Mover which takes you the port where your ship is. Easy. Convenient. worth it.

If you want to spend the day sightseeing, you would take the #1 or #2 vaperetto from P. Roma down the Grand Canal to San Marco and then back again.

I tried searching for this hotel under the best western website and couldn’t find it. Would you happen to remember the exact address? I can find Hotel Continental is that the same one? Thank you

Edited by MikeNKim
adding more info

I tried searching for this hotel under the best western website and couldn’t find it. Would you happen to remember the exact address? I can find Hotel Continental is that the same one? Thank you

Hotel Olimpia (Piazzale Roma - very convenient to cruise port) - address: 395 Fondamenta delle Burchielle Santa Croce, Venezi

https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

The Continental & Olimpia are two separate hotels. The Olimpia is much more convenient, IMHO.

If you want to stay by Piazzale Roma, the Olimpia is one option but there are 5 or 6 others, so price them all. The hotel names are in the last link I posted earlier in this thread.

PRoma is a convenient area as it is where cabs and buses drop off passengers. A cab from the airport costs about 40 or 45E or the ATVO express bus is7 or 8 E pp. Both are a 20 minute ride. If you can easily manage your luggage you can ride the People Mover (monorail) from PRoma to the pier. (in the hotel link, there's a map that includes the hotels, PRoma, bus stop, and People Mover.

After the cruise, be sure to allow lots of time for the airport... it's chaotic. Get there 2 1/2 - 3 hrs prior to departure. You'll be standing in lines, but better that than miss the flight.

The trip from the airport to Venice hotels is not particularly easy. There are various ways to do it, depending upon where your hotel is. It's a bit complicated, or I'd explain the options. However, suffice it to say that if you want to make things easier for yourself, you may want to pick a hotel that's not too far from an ACTV vaporetto (city water "bus") or Alilaguna (other water "bus") stop, and doesn't require walking over too many bridges, even though most bridges in Venice are small. Some hotels may be wonderful, and in great locations, but not easy to get to, especially with luggage. For those hotels, you might end up struggling with luggage and/or needing to take a water TAXI (more expensive) from the airport, and possibly to the port.

We stayed at Hotel Rio two years ago. The location is good for getting both from the airport and to the port, although the hotel was certainly not anything approaching luxury. We prefer the little European places rather than the big name places, so it was fine for us - and reasonably priced.

If you're just looking for something close to the port, and are mostly just spending a night there as insurance against missing the cruise, there are easy options. Perhaps you can get a general idea of those by looking at tomsportguides.com and finding the Venice port guide.

I think the port would be called "Stazione Maritima" or something like that on Google.

This...start with where you are going to go and then find the boat/bus routes and stops. Then start your search in those areas. It is very easy to drag your luggage if you do this. We did AirBNB and loved it. Were were there for several days however, but We stayed right near Guglie bridge. (short walk from Train station, which is how we arrived, and short walk to Guglie stop...only 2 stops from the airport. The walk to the grand canal is very short from almost anywhere.

I realize that your stay will not be like mine, but he planning of transport first is still very relevant IMHO.

I just returned home from Venice yesterday. We left from Venice on a week long cruise but spent a few days prior and after in Venice. I absolutely loved Venice (better than any of the cruise ports). We stayed at the AC Venezia by Marriott. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. It was perfect for us. We used Shuttle direct to drop us from airport to door of hotel and same on the return (no luggage dragging at all). It was safe, quiet, and comfortable. It is brand new and had all of the efficiencies that we could ask for (a bar, comfortable outdoor secluded seating, wifi, ice cold AC). We watched as people dragged their luggage all over Venice, and were thankful that was not us, no dragging involved. This hotel is the closest hotel to the People Mover (within 100 feet), used to bring you over to the cruise terminal. It was SUPER easy. The hotel is within walk-able distance of all of Venice. I was with my 75 year old parents and we walked to San Marco and back on two different occasions, as well as purchased a day pass on the public Vaporetto two other days. I absolutely would recommend this hotel (although maybe more Americanized than some of the traditional hotels-since its owned by Marriott. If your looking for more traditional this may not be the place for you), and if I was ever to return to Venice (which I certainly hope to some day) would definitely plan on staying there again. If heading out on a Cruise, it is the absolute best choice.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago we stayed at the Hilton on Giudecca.

The Hilton is a stop on the Alilaguna boat line. On arrival at the airport, you can walk over to the docks where the Alilaguna leave from and then get dropped in front of the hotel. The line continues to the cruise port so easy to pick up and transfer to the port.

The hotel has private boats which transfer you between Giudecca and a couple of stops on the main part of Venice.

If you want to do some sightseeing in Venice then AC Marriott is going to be as convenient as it can get.

Olimpi is an excellent hotel (its been many years since it decided that it does not need to pay BW franchise fee any nore but for some reason CC posters here keep calling it Best Western Olimpi)

However, even Olimpi will require some bag dragging over two small bridges

Some people prefer staying in Mestre because of convenience of getting taxi all the way to the ship.

If all you need a night of hotel room after late arrival just to go to ship next day, Crown Plazza may work as it offeres both airport pickup and Cruise port drop off as part of its cruiser package while costing fraction of similar rated Venice hotel.

Just one night: Avoid dragging bags over brdiges

Mutiple nights: stay on venice proper

looking for suggestions please

Flying into Marco Polo airport. Is this close to the port? Tried google search but I couldn’t locate the port address

Any suggestions on hotels for 1 night pre-cruise? Not super expensive but safe; clean and convenient to the airport and port.

Thank you

Kim

Locate a hotel at St Marks square,take a shared water taxi to ST Marks ,next day take the Alilaguna water bus to port both shared water taxi and water bus very inexpensive and the ride from airport is wonderful memory

Olimpi is an excellent hotel (its been many years since it decided that it does not need to pay BW franchise fee any nore but for some reason CC posters here keep calling it Best Western Olimpi)

However, even Olimpi will require some bag dragging over two small bridges

From the hotel's official website, the name is Hotel Olimpia, not Olimpi, just fyi:

https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

Some people prefer staying in Mestre because of convenience of getting taxi all the way to the ship.

/quote]

Sorry if I mentioned this before, but: tomsportguides.com has 2 port guides on Venice you can look at or download. He mentions Mestre, including the hotel he used. He also has some helpful pictures of the Piazzale Roma area, People Mover to ships, etc.

Piazza Roma is great if your ship will be in Maritima, but if it’s a smaller ship it might be docked at San Basilio.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

San Basilio is served by an ACTV vaporetto stop (I believe named San Basilio), and then there's a walk of perhaps one short block to the small terminal. Our Viking Ocean ship docked there and it wasn't hard to get to it, even with luggage.

I just returned home from Venice yesterday. We left from Venice on a week long cruise but spent a few days prior and after in Venice. I absolutely loved Venice (better than any of the cruise ports). We stayed at the AC Venezia by Marriott. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. It was perfect for us. We used Shuttle direct to drop us from airport to door of hotel and same on the return (no luggage dragging at all). It was safe, quiet, and comfortable. It is brand new and had all of the efficiencies that we could ask for (a bar, comfortable outdoor secluded seating, wifi, ice cold AC). We watched as people dragged their luggage all over Venice, and were thankful that was not us, no dragging involved. This hotel is the closest hotel to the People Mover (within 100 feet), used to bring you over to the cruise terminal. It was SUPER easy. The hotel is within walk-able distance of all of Venice. I was with my 75 year old parents and we walked to San Marco and back on two different occasions, as well as purchased a day pass on the public Vaporetto two other days. I absolutely would recommend this hotel (although maybe more Americanized than some of the traditional hotels-since its owned by Marriott. If your looking for more traditional this may not be the place for you), and if I was ever to return to Venice (which I certainly hope to some day) would definitely plan on staying there again. If heading out on a Cruise, it is the absolute best choice.

I'm interested in this hotel for next year. Can you tell me if the hotel rooms have stall showers? I am at the age where I don't like to use a tub/shower combo. Many thanks for your help.

Mestre has been our choice for a Venice hotel in the last three trips. The Best Western Hotel Bologna is just across the street from the train station so its about 7 minutes to the Grand Canal. Five minutes by taxi to the cruise terminal. Even better the Mestre station gives you easy access to Verona, Padua, Bologna, Florence etc. A big supermarket and restaurants for seafood, pizza etc are all in walking distance. Mestre is a working class town and you will go by the shipyards on your way into Venice. Look for two or three cruise ships under construction. Airport is about 20 minutes and 40 Euro. You do have your Euros for walking around money don't you?

More near the airport is the Crown Plaza.

Crowne_Plaza_Venice_East_Quarto_d_Altino-Quarto_D_Altino

It is right on a direct train line into Venice - the station is right behind the hotel.

We stayed there last June. They have a cruise package. This package includes transport from the airport to the hotel. Also included- they take you directly to the ship by a nice motor coach the morning of your cruise.