Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

A few phone pics of today's eclipse. Here in Albany we got to about 97% totality. It was.dark enough to .ake the outdoor lighting come on, and it got noticeably colder during the maximum.

Samsung Galaxy S22, about 20x zoom, eclipse glasses over the lens.

20240408_152245.thumb.jpg.30086220d32b31038460515e4233d2db.jpg

20240408_152911.thumb.jpg.81af98c65d7efa77c9ca991a9c4bbbca.jpg

Anyone up to visit Egypt in 2027? It should be spectacular! 

I’d love to JP but I stand a critic in a FB Silversea Groups Chance of getting any time off in August. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Boy, this Eclipse thing is just too over the top for me. Am I the only person who really doesn't care or is not all excited about it?

Just for you  Lois - a chocolate version 😁

IMG_3809.thumb.jpeg.52fe554e92336aad76fd3c961d175ce0.jpeg.0d7efcece6fa2f82434f4317254befa4.jpeg.19b1b9471b5b899342d5f82dc75259d4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It is exciting if you are actually in the perfect spot, or pretty near, for viewing a total solar eclipse.  There are enthusiasts who travel the world to attend each one.  I’ve met a few!

IMG_7620.thumb.jpeg.7042943295f1f1cc602d7258251078e2.jpeg

Scott Reef, off the north coast of Western Australia, April last year.  I was on a Coral Expeditions cruise with Australia’s chief scientist and a National Geographic photographer as guest speakers.

Edited by Port Power
Expedition details
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

A few phone pics of today's eclipse. Here in Albany we got to about 97% totality. It was.dark enough to .ake the outdoor lighting come on, and it got noticeably colder during the maximum.  Anyone up to visit Egypt in 2027? It should be spectacular! 

Here in Central Ohio, we had the 100% total eclipse and it was TOTALLY AMAZING!!  When things went dark for nearly four minutes, not only did we get the ability to see the Moon/Sun combo with our safety glasses off and be feeling things cool down.  

BUT, the biggest surprise was to experience a 360 degree "sunset" in all directions around us.  North. South. West. East.  There were light clouds around and that made this all-directions "sunset" look and experience seem much more unique and "unreal".  

In 2017, we had the partial eclipse.  That was nice and good.  BUT, the full 100% is so very much better.  

Egypt in 2027??  Maybe we could make that one.  Sounds interesting.  Glad we do not have to wait till around 2095 when the next full eclipse comes through Central Ohio. How many of us will be around in 2095??

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

India to Singaore 2024: Live/Blog with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

how about Iceland/Greenland August 2026?

Much more risk of cloudy skies. It would be spectacular in that location but I don't trust the weather! 

That eclipse reaches the Med too I believe. Maybe better luck there?

Egypt should have a much better chance of clear skies, and the duration of totality is supposed to be over 6 minutes (!) for the 2027 eclipse. Thus my desire to see that one.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Much more risk of cloudy skies. It would be spectacular in that location but I don't trust the weather! 

Egypt should have a much better chance of clear skies, and the duration of totality is supposed to be over 6 minutes (!) for the 2027 eclipse. Thus my desire to see that one.

Whoa, 6 minutes!  That's an eternity.  I am so in on that one.

Must be my luck, but in my 3 trips to Greenland rarely saw a cloud....Iceland, that's another story.🤣

Good news, we can do both!  Let's see what the travel Gods serve us up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Chance favors the prepared mind.

I'm feeling a cruise in Scorsby and King Oscar for 2026.

Screenshot_20240409_113000_Chrome.thumb.jpg.905ad922370f5dc9186a29f5f55e1ae0.jpg

2027. OH, so many options. Perhaps Somalia or Yemen?  To bad it misses @Fletcher favorite Djibouti. Best CC line ever.  He went there so we didn't have to. 🤣

Screenshot_20240409_112811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.57ea66a55046203bf0d50d1c6116b97a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/8/2024 at 12:19 PM, Lois R said:

Boy, this Eclipse thing is just too over the top for me. Am I the only person who really doesn't care or is not all excited about it?

No Eclipse here.........And I am very busy working + organizing my coming trip to NZ......no time to Eclipse.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:30 PM, jpalbny said:

A few phone pics of today's eclipse. Here in Albany we got to about 97% totality. It was.dark enough to .ake the outdoor lighting come on, and it got noticeably colder during the maximum.

Samsung Galaxy S22, about 20x zoom, eclipse glasses over the lens.

20240408_152245.thumb.jpg.30086220d32b31038460515e4233d2db.jpg

20240408_152911.thumb.jpg.81af98c65d7efa77c9ca991a9c4bbbca.jpg

Anyone up to visit Egypt in 2027? It should be spectacular! 

Great photos!

1 hour ago, Lirio said:

No Eclipse here.........And I am very busy working + organizing my coming trip to NZ......no time to Eclipse.

Have an Oreo, you'll feel better!  [Actually that's good advice for any day 🤣]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Have an Oreo, you'll feel better!  [Actually that's good advice for any day 🤣]

I’ve never understood Oreo’s. I Was recently introduced to the sultry seduction of Tim Tams and now I understand all of the fuss. This is Maybe only to be understood by the Britts or Aussies but on a recent 2790 mile train journey I took from Perth to Sydney, 2 guys whilst wistfully looking out of the train window said they’d been on the lookout for Tim Tams for ages. One of my train mates asked what Tim Tams were. They were told they are like Penguins. They spent the next 4 or so so hours looking out of’ the train window and wondering why the hell on earth they would see a Penguin on the Nullarbor plains. All was made clear eventually but it was comedy gold. Don’t you just love travelling? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’ve never understood Oreo’s.

I don't understand Oreos either – or rather, why I like them so much.  If I describe them, it's two not-very-chocolately wafers mashed around some not-very-flavorful 'creme' filling.  But popped in the mouth, the flavors blend and become nirvana.  [Maybe it helps that I prefer milk chocolate to dark.]

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't understand Oreos either – or rather, why I like them so much.  If I describe them, it's two not-very-chocolately wafers mashed around some not-very-flavorful 'creme' filling.  But popped in the mouth, the flavors blend and become nirvana.  [Maybe it helps that I prefer milk chocolate to dark.]

Rude response deleted before posting as better judgement kicked in. You all have an imagination. 

I have never been an Oreos fan,  and English  chocolate biscuits, ditto.  

Now in Australia  there are multiple choices to choose from.   Tim Tams, chocolate wheaten,  ......

I tried Oreos once, and couldn't understand why anyone likes them.  I obviously have unusual tastebuds.  But I do like dark (must be dark) chocolate digestives.  I have  not even heard of Tim Tams - enlighten me.

Just love your  Penguin story, Davey  - they were absolute favourites of everyone when I was a schoolgirl in ancient times.  

Lola

41 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I tried Oreos once, and couldn't understand why anyone likes them.  I obviously have unusual tastebuds.  But I do like dark (must be dark) chocolate digestives.  I have  not even heard of Tim Tams - enlighten me.

Just love your  Penguin story, Davey  - they were absolute favourites of everyone when I was a schoolgirl in ancient times.  

Lola

Haven't come across those either, did some research now. Named after a Kentucky Derby winning racehorse, no less. The Swiss equivalent are probably Kägi fret. Not nearly as glamourous history behind it as Tim Tams. I like the really dark Kägi fret, and they need to come straight out of the fridge for extra crunch. Now I will have to order some Tim Tams to compare😊

IMG_7658.jpeg

• Like 2