Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Apologies for once again pecking at the hive mind of our wonderful coolers. I’m currently looking at putting the RTW trip on hold until Jan 26 and bringing forward South Africa to Jan 25.  I’m onto a really amazing SA (door to door) tour including an Azamara cruise and can deviate flights to enable an extra week around the Vic falls area. Current plans for those 7 nights would be 2 nights Mbano manor, 2 nights Zambezi Queen, 2 nights Ichingo Chobe River Lodge and 1 night in a star bed at Zambezi falls river lodge before joining the tour. The tour is then 2 nights  Victoria falls Safari lodge, 3 nights Safari Plains onto Cape Town and then 12 nights on Azamara Quest. Could I plan it better?

11 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Some still might like my mundane food piccies so today was chill garlic enormous prawns with home made baguette and Laurent Perrier.

Jeff, as a long-ish time lurker here in the Cooler I have to say your baguette is one of the most impressive things I have come across <swoon>.  I’m also a home baguette maker, and am still working towards the perfection that you have achieved.  Deep appreciation for previous posts where you’ve gone into your process and method - the result is incredible.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Jeff, as a long-ish time lurker here in the Cooler I have to say your baguette is one of the most impressive things I have come across <swoon>.  I’m also a home baguette maker, and am still working towards the perfection that you have achieved.  Deep appreciation for previous posts where you’ve gone into your process and method - the result is incredible.

Hello,

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your post about your passion for your baguettes.  

For sone reason that totally bewilders me almost all of the commentary about breadmaking had taken me - and I feel many others- down unsuccessful paths.  They like to make it a black art to preserve their perceived skill.

As you may recall, I then decided to simply combine a lot of water with flour instant yeast  and salt and leave it to the water to do it’s magic.  No mixer, no mixing, no complex kneading just a lot of water and  scraper kneading in the bowl and a lot of leaving alone.  I handle it as little as possible. That is why they are ugly and misshapen.

I now hydrate to 80%+ and leave it overnight.  We have baguettes every day and the whole process only takes around a couple of minutes of labour.

I’ve also just bought a worktop 4 in 1 combi oven which has a steam function and is effectively a perfect crispy bread/baguette oven.  The manufacturer doesn’t seem to know because they barely mention bread. It also proves bread to same day perfect baguettes as if they are 36 hour bread. It is easy.  So I can make baguettes to my normal quality in just a few hours.  It tastes like poulish/biga starter bread.  Sadly much of real baguette baking in France has been replaced by rebaking bought in bulk stuff and we are eating better than anything we have ever had in France.  

Anyway you know what I’m like about bread!  🙂

Last night she wanted Naples salami with tomato and a smear of mayo and a mug of white.  Happy to provide. 

I thought you might like the piccies although I’m afraid you cannot see the crumb. They remain ugly delicious.

Enjoy and thanks so much again for taking the trouble to tell me about your bread.

Jeff

IMG_4753.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Apologies for once again pecking at the hive mind of our wonderful coolers. I’m currently looking at putting the RTW trip on hold until Jan 26 and bringing forward South Africa to Jan 25.  I’m onto a really amazing SA (door to door) tour including an Azamara cruise and can deviate flights to enable an extra week around the Vic falls area. Current plans for those 7 nights would be 2 nights Mbano manor, 2 nights Zambezi Queen, 2 nights Ichingo Chobe River Lodge and 1 night in a star bed at Zambezi falls river lodge before joining the tour. The tour is then 2 nights  Victoria falls Safari lodge, 3 nights Safari Plains onto Cape Town and then 12 nights on Azamara Quest. Could I plan it better?

Can I come, too, please?  I have many, many cruise on Azamara Quest, and those destinations you refer to are also on my bucket list.  Sounds like a great itinerary.  You do very well with your planning.

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your post about your passion for your baguettes.  For sone reason that totally bewilders me almost all of the commentary about breadmaking had taken me - and I feel many others- down unsuccessful paths.  They like to make it a black art to preserve their perceived skill.

While personally, I am not into the breadmaking details/process, I so love the visuals posted by Jeff.  Looking great and so tasty.  Keep it coming!!!  Makes me hungry and wanting to enjoy in person.

Wanted also to give a strong shout-out to Jeff about his favorite location of Singapore.  Earlier this month at the end of our Silver Moon sailing from Mumbai, we spent three days in Singapore.  Loved it!!!  Totally unique history, architecture, development, food, charm and character.  Need proof and evidence?  Below are just a little sampling from my many visuals.  Much more on the live/blog connected below.  We were amazed by the greenery, creative urban development, lack of traffic congestion, dining potentials, shopping, etc.  BUT, the costs are not cheap there.  Fascinating City-State!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

India to Singaore 2024: Live/Blog with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

First on our private tour in Singapore earlier this month, we explored various areas, including Little India, the Arab Quarter (including the Mosque shown below), lunch in Chinatown, going to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel that is the local architectural icon and also pictured below at the top-level pool.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.6587b11875230c787270e54b351b6182.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1e40e72e7a49916863d6d9b9b06c4640.jpeg

In the evening, it was the Gardens by the Bay and their spectacular light and music show.  Look amazing?  It was!!  At the right lower, is one of the three towers of the Marina Bay Sands complex with their roof-top pool we visited earlier, etc.:

image.thumb.jpeg.a92043c40f41248247d5925832a0f67b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.213b8e8568161353c517c0be7f076c6e.jpeg

Below was part of the view from our river ship in the Marina Bay area with the Sands in the background.  Much was Taylor Swift music!!  Live or recorded?  Not 100% sure, but it would be fun if she did do it live, as reported locally, for us sailing in this dramatic setting.  She was there and doing six live concerts that sold out in three hours.:

image.thumb.jpeg.fc9f14a0df6fa8c092dbb49b2bacc624.jpeg

Finally, here is their famed Lion spitting out water with some of the lighted architecture in the background along their waterfront.  Finally, we finished at the historic and highly-rated Fullerton Hotel for drinks (Singapore Sling, of course) before going back to the ship to finish packing and getting our luggage put out in the hallway.  Yes, the Singapore Sling was not invented at the Fullerton, but we still felt the history and enjoyed this luxury hotel environment.  Our JW Marriott is right across the street from the Raffles Hotel, where the Sling was invented.  Lots to see and explore there in Singapore.:

image.thumb.jpeg.427c1b1e031618817671981a41473d15.jpeg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Can I come, too, please?  I have many, many cruise on Azamara Quest, and those destinations you refer to are also on my bucket list.  Sounds like a great itinerary.  You do very well with your planning.

Feel free PP. Its the Jan 16th sailing! Looks like a great cruise and the Quest looks like a lovely ship.

https://www.azamara.com/gb/cruises/qs250116-012-12-night-south-africa-intensive-voyage

I Always find that lots of planning pays off. I'm not a let's wing it type of person and my FOMO screams if I could have been doing something better that day.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, drron29 said:

There are going to be a lot of sunburnt books on the Muse by lunchtime.

IMG_8142.thumb.jpeg.ad8a82e9fbb4a6c154c117dbebd1cd5f.jpeg

IMG_8143.thumb.jpeg.60a19e144481346da1c531df5cb9e1f4.jpeg

Be sure to take them all to lost property at Reception DrRon. People can be very forgetful leaving their precious items lying around and I’m sure they’d be very grateful that they’d been handed in. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

So much to catch up on! We're back from Lisbon as of last night, and spending a relaxing restful day at home prior to going back to the grind tomorrow.

Sao Miguel was lovely despite the unsettled weather. We expected it and were prepared, with our nice warm Silversea parkas. Spring in the Azores can be very unpredictable, we learned, with bright sunshine giving way within minutes to heavy rain and even the occasional burst of hail! 

After our day in Cascais on Sunday, we flew to Ponta Delgada on Monday morning and rented a car. We spent the day driving around the western part of the Island to see the famous views at Sete Cidades, and a few other places in that area, before checking in to our Ponta Delgada hotel that evening.

Tuesday for my birthday we explored the city all morning, then went out to see some scenic viewpoints, many of which were foggy. We tried a waterfall hike but unfortunately Chris slipped on some gravel in the parking lot, on the way to the trailhead, and got a really nasty gash on her leg just below her knee. So we had to detour to a pharmacy for bandage material. After I extricated all of the volcanic rock that I could from her wound we put it back together with steristrips and a tight dressing. We laid low that afternoon but had a nice dinner a few minutes from the hotel. It was a 7-course tasting menu with wine pairings! That made her leg feel better.

Wednesday we had a busy day. We left Ponta Delgada early and drove North, then circumnavigated the eastern 2/3 of the island. Lots of scenery along the way, and a few short hikes. Chris managed OK despite the injury but we took it slower than usual. We checked in to our hotel in Furnas and had dinner there.

Thursday we did a few things around town and the surrounding area. Chris's wound made it unwise to partake in any hot spring activities but that was OK since it was only in the mid-50s and very windy. Swimming in a hot spring would have been comfortable but getting out would have been miserable! We saw more lookouts, botanical gardens, fumaroles, and waterfalls. Another nice dinner at another of the hotels in town, where we tried the volcanically-cooked cozido stew.

Friday we left Furnas and took a long leisurely drive back towards Ponta Delgada. Along the way, we went back to the scene of the injury, as Chris wanted to see that waterfall and at this point it was personal! We were able to successfully accomplish it, as the hike itself was not difficult - the parking lot was much more treacherous. We finished our itinerary early and had time for a leisurely late lunch in Ponta Delgada. Then we tried for one last viewpoint, which had been fogged in on Monday. It was fogged in again on Friday... Oh well! With just fumes left in the gas tank, I filled up the rental car and we returned it at the airport. Despite very strong winds, the flight back to Lisbon was smooth. And it was a tailwind, so we were already checking in at our airport hotel at the exact time we were scheduled to touch down!

And yesterday morning, we flew home. We arrived almost an hour early at Logan, caught the bus to Framingham, and got home at 5:30.

I'll post a few pictures later but to sum it up, Sao Miguel is beautiful and we are excited to revisit the Azores as soon as we can schedule another trip there!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Had to look up cozido stew - it sounds delicious!  Wondering if there is a poultry version...

It was tasty. There is some chicken in the version that we tried but it's a very minor component. There was a small piece of beef too. The rest was pork - rib, loin, belly, and a few kinds of sausage as well. We ate so much pork this trip that I grew a snout!

Bottom row - chicken, pork rib, some kind of cured pork.

Middle row - potato, kale, beef, pork loin, pork belly

Top row - cabbage, sweet potato (buried under the cabbage), carrot, yam, chorizo sausage, and blood sausage.

20240328_192958.thumb.jpg.45c5a57e07686e0baad33e588910c5de.jpg

You could also ask for extras of anything that you wanted more of. In case this wasn't enough...

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It was tasty. There is some chicken in the version that we tried but it's a very minor component. There was a small piece of beef too. The rest was pork - rib, loin, belly, and a few kinds of sausage as well. We ate so much pork this trip that I grew a snout!

Bottom row - chicken, pork rib, some kind of cured pork.

Middle row - potato, kale, beef, pork loin, pork belly

Top row - cabbage, sweet potato (buried under the cabbage), carrot, yam, chorizo sausage, and blood sausage.

20240328_192958.thumb.jpg.45c5a57e07686e0baad33e588910c5de.jpg

You could also ask for extras of anything that you wanted more of. In case this wasn't enough...

You got the "Whitman's Sampler" version, with a map?  When we had it we just guessed what each piece was...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:01 AM, UKCruiseJeff said:

Hello,

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your post about your passion for your baguettes.  

For sone reason that totally bewilders me almost all of the commentary about breadmaking had taken me - and I feel many others- down unsuccessful paths.  They like to make it a black art to preserve their perceived skill.

As you may recall, I then decided to simply combine a lot of water with flour instant yeast  and salt and leave it to the water to do it’s magic.  No mixer, no mixing, no complex kneading just a lot of water and  scraper kneading in the bowl and a lot of leaving alone.  I handle it as little as possible. That is why they are ugly and misshapen.

I now hydrate to 80%+ and leave it overnight.  We have baguettes every day and the whole process only takes around a couple of minutes of labour.

I’ve also just bought a worktop 4 in 1 combi oven which has a steam function and is effectively a perfect crispy bread/baguette oven.  The manufacturer doesn’t seem to know because they barely mention bread. It also proves bread to same day perfect baguettes as if they are 36 hour bread. It is easy.  So I can make baguettes to my normal quality in just a few hours.  It tastes like poulish/biga starter bread.  Sadly much of real baguette baking in France has been replaced by rebaking bought in bulk stuff and we are eating better than anything we have ever had in France.  

Anyway you know what I’m like about bread!  🙂

Last night she wanted Naples salami with tomato and a smear of mayo and a mug of white.  Happy to provide. 

I thought you might like the piccies although I’m afraid you cannot see the crumb. They remain ugly delicious.

Enjoy and thanks so much again for taking the trouble to tell me about your bread.

Jeff

IMG_4753.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

Now I'm salivating, can literally smell this. Looks delicious not ugly

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Now I'm salivating, can literally smell this. Looks delicious not ugly

Thanks! 😊

No day is ever complete without putting tomorrows  baguettes into the fridge for a contented doze.  😄

IMG_4813.jpeg

• Like 3

I have a pair of silk evening shoes I bought in china - so on our first formal night i go to put them on and  the sole falls off !!  Luckily our butler took them to fix it and returned it on a silver platter  !  What a gem 🌟20240401_095046.thumb.jpg.c311c90d54fa77dd738426794737b9ed.jpg

• Like 9