Cruising Alaska /Yukon next week....how much rain are you getting on your cruise?

baxley

I would be interested in hearing from others cruising this week or last as to how much rain they've had. Is it continual rain? or sunshine and then rain, etc.? Thanks. I hope you're having a great time no matter what the weather!

I would be interested in hearing from others cruising this week or last as to how much rain they've had. Is it continual rain? or sunshine and then rain, etc.? Thanks. I hope you're having a great time no matter what the weather!

Did round trip out of Seattle July 22-29. No rain anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alaska has very changeable weather sometimes on an hourly basis so what they are experiencing now has little relevance to what it will be when you are there. That said, there are lots of weather sites on the WEB that will tell you what weather you can expect on your cruise and there is also a really good climate site that is built into the Windows 10 weather app.

DON

The unpaved streets in Dawson City can be a mess in the rain and they have boardwalks instead of sidewalks. You still have to cross the street. We had hail (sleet) a few years ago in August.

Dawson City is my favorite Yukon town. Check out the Parks Canada programs at the visitor’s center. (You indicated Yukon in your title so I’m thinking you are on a cruisetour into the Yukon!)

Be glad you're not there today. Record breaking rain. This from the National Weather Service:

"A strong plume of moisture that broke the rainfall record for Yakutat yesterday (4.35 inches vs. the 1963 record of 2.85 inches) has shifted southeast overnight to be over the panhandle. Rain, heavy at times, will continue for today for most northern and central locations. A number of rainfall records are in jeopardy of being broken, some by almost two inches!"

Skagway has rain today. Quite unusual since we are in a true rain shadow!

Almost no rain in the entire month of July. We had garden hoses running for the entire month, for our raspberries and fruit trees, but this is okay, here in Skagway, since we have unlimited water from the glaciers.

Record rainfall is being experienced, even in the SE rainforest just south of us.

This will all be over in a day or so, so don't try to predict, just be ready for anything....

DD

Those visiting Fairbanks last week had highs in the 80s but we now also are being impacted by that storm off the Bering Sea. And the Tanana Valley Fair began last Saturday, which just about guarantees that we will enjoy rain until the fair ends on August 11th. We have received enough rain that the NWS issued a flood advisory regarding streams in the Alaska Range.