Royal Caribbean banning emotional support animals

NemoCrownie

Ha, Ha. Good one. And to answer AU pilot, yes, it was that cruise. I would think that anyone with blood sugar sensitivities would be able to tell when they need a boost. without a dog to sense it. Or am I just misinformed about this?

Yes you are misinformed. Sorry

Wouldn’t ADA regulations be irrelevant on a Maltese registered ship sailing in international waters? I mean, if the company wants to see proof of registration of a true service animal, then so be it.

What would be the situation when the cruise finishes in another country? Even a registered service dog would NOT be getting off in Australia, that’s for sure!

There is no registry for service animals, so there is no proof to show.

There is no registry for service animals, so there is no proof to show.

That's why there is so much fraud...No accountability. That & the people on here who seem to think it's ok to cheat the system.:mad:

I’m sure there could be proof in existence somewhere other than a US registry of service animals. For example, proof of registration/training/graduation from a recognised service dog association such as Guide Dogs for the Blind etc. There would be logical ways of sorting the real from the imagined if they really wanted to.

Cruise lines, Celebrity included, must meet food standards in the countries they travel to. US Public Health standards are hardly the overarching law in an international setting.

Plenty of Celebrity Cruises don’t hit US ports at all.

I’m sure there could be proof in existence somewhere other than a US registry of service animals. For example, proof of registration/training/graduation from a recognised service dog association such as Guide Dogs for the Blind etc. There would be logical ways of sorting the real from the imagined if they really wanted to.

Cruise lines, Celebrity included, must meet food standards in the countries they travel to. US Public Health standards are hardly the overarching law in an international setting.

Plenty of Celebrity Cruises don’t hit US ports at all.

There could be something for some dogs from the organization where they were trained, but not all and it is illegal in the United States to ask for any kind of supporting documents other than those that show they are in good health and have all their shots, prior to boarding the ship. All they can ask is "is your dog a service dog" and "what task do they perform", this all they can ask legally.

There are still going to be those fakers who claim their pet/emotional support dog is a service dog. The only way for Celebrity or any other companies, for that matter, to combat these liars is to kick dogs off or out that are not behaving properly (and for the record, that should be a true service dog who are acting inappropriately). Kick dogs and their owners off if the dog, does their business in a place other than their designated area, barks or growls at passengers or crew, snaps/bites at crew or passengers, sits on tables or chairs, is fed from the table using one's hands or dishes, jumps at people, runs loose without leash, etc. BTW, all of these things have been reported that emotional support dogs have done on ships.

Correct but the most compelling reason is that you are not allowed under the ADA to ask for any type of ID.

Yes, true. It should be changed, however. This amazingly stupid & complex law was written almost to purposely "allow" for fraud to take place. The laws need to be properly amended to help eliminate fraud. It's really NOT hard to do.

It is about time. I hope all other cruise lines follow suit. Unlike true service dogs, many emotional support dogs are not well trained.

I have to agree with you there. Seems most are just listed so the owner can bring their pet along. I love my dog but she doesn’t belong on a cruise.

How is it that airlines are allowed to require letters from mental health professionals attesting to the need for an emotional support dog?
Because they are not service dogs, thus they don't fall under the ADA rules and regulations whereas they can not ask for any documentation. Emotional dogs fall under The Air Carrier Access Act.

How is it that airlines are allowed to require letters from mental health professionals attesting to the need for an emotional support dog?

Note Airlines are different (like probably ships). Medical condition could effect the safety of the flight. So airlines could ask you (and you must in any case disclose to them) about some health problems which could endanger the flight (or other persons).

If one requires emotional support, some professional should confirm that such person will not panic attacks that could endanger the flight. On everyday live, this should not be a problem, so asking could be a sort of discrimination, on the other hand, flights are on a more confined environment (which also require much more safety control).

Sorry, Don. After my friends & their service dog was attacked by a Pit-bull mix fake service dog, I really took it on myself about this issue. You're right. I'm getting too worked up. Lets move on. Thanks for bringing me down a bit. I'd have some emotional support Scotch, but then, I don't drink;)

Being on the board of our association has caused me to have some issues with neighbors. We do have a policy about cleaning up after your pet, for instance. I've had to impose $100 fines on neighbors that just won't follow rules & let their pets mess& just leave it there. Not a pleasant task, but if people won't follow rules, there can be consequences. We have a few smoker friends & that's caused issues with tossing butts, which are dirty & can cause fires. We don't have any friends who use any animal for support/comfort or special service.

So, which is it? Was your friend & their service dog attacked, or your don't have any friends with service animals?

I think Don was correct in his assessment. :)

So, which is it? Was your friend & their service dog attacked, or your don't have any friends with service animals?

I think Don was correct in his assessment. :)

The dog was attacked. One of the women also got mauled by the "fake" dog when trying to separated them. Her partner's dog was nearly killed as it didn't know how to defend itself. The 2 women are more acquaintances than close friends. We've been to a number of gatherings with them. The dog is able to "sense" when an Epileptic seizure is potentially oncoming. If you want to see the fraud out there just go to: "officialservicedogregistry.com" The guys will give you all the ins & outs on how to game the system. You'll see many more just like it.(many actually the same company) Better bus. bureau rates them an "F". I suggest you all write your Senator/Congress person & tell them to change the law.