Adult pool 6'8" deep..WHY??

Rich_NY

I thought the ships pools were salt water. If no chlorine then what?

Even salt water pools may need to be chlorinated. There are two types of salt water pools allowed on cruise ships, flow through, and recirculation.

Flow through pools take in salt water constantly, and the overflow goes directly back to the sea. The design turn-over rate (how often the water in the pool is changed out via this input/overflow) is such that there is not sufficient contact time for anything in any urine to become hazardous. These pools do not need to be chlorinated, but there are restrictions on where you can have flow through sea water pools. Flow through pools must be closed or drained when within 12 miles of shore, and cannot be refilled until outside of 12 miles again. We know that ships don't do this, the pools are open in port, so what do they do?

They change over to recirculation, where the same sea water is circulated to filters and back to the pool. All recirculation pools, whether salt or fresh water, must be chlorinated. This is done on a continuous basis as the water is circulated to the filters, it passes a chlorine content meter, and the continuous dosing of chlorine is adjusted based on the actual chlorine residual at that time.

Now, since it takes a couple of hours to reach an acceptable and stable chlorine level in a pool when you start from zero (switching a flow through pool to recirculation), this means that the pool needs to be closed the instant it is changed to recirculation, and remain closed until the chlorine level is acceptable. Again, cruise lines don't like to do this, so they resist switching to flow through mode unless there are several sea days in a row, where there can be one closure (at night), and they can actually save on chlorine cost (continuous small dosing of a chlorinated pool vs. high chlorine dosing to bring a pool up to standard every other day or so).

Children who are not yet potty trained are not allowed in any ship pool, yet drunken adults can foul the water as well.

People are not allowed to keep loungers all day

People are not allowed to bring alcohol on board

People are not allowed to smoke on balconies

And we all know that no one ever does things they are not allowed to do! :)

I have learned so much reading Chegkp75's post over the years...you put a great deal of time in them and I always appreciate the thorough explanation given with such simplicity and authority...THANK YOU!

Seconded!

So you have seen someone poop in a cruise ship pool?
You make it sound like someone conciously squatted over the edge and dropped a deuce then walked away......

Fecal Incontinence can be caused by many things such as:

- Hemorrhoids that have prolapsed (protrude from the anal opening)

- Certain medications that cause loose stools

- Certain illnesses, such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or stroke, that can damage the nerves to the rectum and cause loss of feeling

- Problems with the gastrointestinal system, such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, or cancer of the rectum

- Surgery or radiation therapy to the pelvic area

With millions of passengers a year cruising and using pools / jacuzzis it happens more than you think....... it's just a matter of that person being responsible enough to let cruise staff know it happened so a cleaning can take place.

You make it sound like someone conciously squatted over the edge and dropped a deuce then walked away......

Fecal Incontinence can be caused by many things such as:

- Hemorrhoids that have prolapsed (protrude from the anal opening)

- Certain medications that cause loose stools

- Certain illnesses, such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or stroke, that can damage the nerves to the rectum and cause loss of feeling

- Problems with the gastrointestinal system, such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, or cancer of the rectum

- Surgery or radiation therapy to the pelvic area

With millions of passengers a year cruising and using pools / jacuzzis it happens more than you think....... it's just a matter of that person being responsible enough to let cruise staff know it happened so a cleaning can take place.

Thanks for the anatomy lesson, but I think you are missing the point. Any time anyone has the gall to say anything about children, invariably there is the standard, "drunk adults are worse" comment. The point is, there is a FAR greater chance of a diapered child in a pool causing an issue than a drunk adult. Anecdotal stories are just that; anecdotes.

Not sure if it was discussed...on the Escape the adult pool is 6'8" deep. That is the most ridiculous thing ever. People who want to cool off have to fight for a spot against the wall to hold onto the rail. Like its not already crowded enough!! Why not allow people to stand in The water to make it more accessible to more people?? JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!

They do this for insurance purposes..the pool depth of 6'8" allows for someone to stand on the pools concrete edge...curl toes over the edge....wait for 2 - 3 passerby's who are not wet/ dont want to get wet...then suddenly said person yells "CANNONBALL" and proceeds to leap in the air..place both arms around shins...and produce a splash that is large enough to fuel a reaction.

If the water depth was a mere 4'6" then one would bruise their tailbone trying the cannonball style splash producing dive.

Best,

Mark

They do this for insurance purposes..the pool depth of 6'8" allows for someone to stand on the pools concrete edge...curl toes over the edge....wait for 2 - 3 passerby's who are not wet/ dont want to get wet...then suddenly said person yells "CANNONBALL" and proceeds to leap in the air..place both arms around shins...and produce a splash that is large enough to fuel a reaction.

If the water depth was a mere 4'6" then one would bruise their tailbone trying the cannonball style splash producing dive.

Best,

Mark

I agree with Mark!! :')

bSMZysHNwxY#

With children in diapers, feces is the danger. If anyone (child or adult) drops a deuce, the pool would need to be drained, cleaned, and filled (not easily done while docked in Bermuda, for ex)

This is called a 'CODE BROWN' in the hotel industry... I've seen this happen a few times.... As soon as I hear a walkie talkie say CODE BROWN, I jump right out of the pool!

Not sure if it was discussed...on the Escape the adult pool is 6'8" deep.

You just gave me an incentive to book the Escape! Thanks! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums