Adult pool 6'8" deep..WHY??

Rich_NY

My point was since there is no room to swim anyway, allow people to stand so more people can enjoy being in the pool.

That is a fair point. But I think as others noted, with one small pool on such a large ship, with an overcrowded pool deck, encouraging people to stand in the pool is maybe counterproductive.

Other ships, even new ships, have pools that you can lounge in. Out of NYC - you have Anthem which has the adults solarium pool, for example. Which has seats and is designed for lounging.

Unfortunately, NCL has totally failed to create something similar and as I said before, their pool area on Escape is comically small and ridiculous. It's not a ship anyone should sail on with expectations of excellent pool time. It's a nice ship, we enjoyed it, but have reduced expectations when it comes to the pool or you will be sorely disappointed.

Actually Escape has 2 pools. The “family” pool which children can use is also too deep Let my 6 yo in first thing in the morning. After that , she couldn’t get in as adults all hanging on the side and ,though she can swim, could not get to side for rest. The splash pad is a joke for anyone over 3 or 4

Getaway and Breakaway are the same. I've been told it has something to do with the balance of the weight of the water, or something to that effect. No clue if that is true though.

I had an issue on Getaway where I couldn't get out. I'm a mediocre swimmer - comfortable, but certainly not strong. I squeezed my way through the folks lining the edges for a cool down in the pool. I treaded for a while, then when I got tired, I went to get out. There was nowhere to get out! People were jam packed, thigh to thigh, lining the entire edges of the pool, and also the ladder. I couldn't even see where the ladder was. I was tiring quickly, and starting to get a little frightened. I finally had to grab on to someone's leg, since there wasn't an edge to grab. I had to ask loudly if someone could please get up so I could have a spot to climb out. It was ridiculous. That was my one and only time in the main pool on these ships.

I love the deep pools. It gives people who can swim a spot in the middle of the pool to actually swim around! If you just want to cool off, you might enjoy the waterfall area at Spice H2O.

I do agree that the pool should be bigger, and have one end that is more shallow. That way everyone could be happy.

I love the deep pools. It gives people who can swim a spot in the middle of the pool to actually swim around! If you just want to cool off, you might enjoy the waterfall area at Spice H2O.

Sure. But if you can't touch the bottom, or can't touch an edge, you might as well be swimming in the middle of the Atlantic. At some point even the strongest swimmers need to be able to stop.

For what it's worth, on this same Getaway cruise, I was never able to enter the water feature in Spice H2O because of people sitting along the edges, even on the entry stairs. There was nowhere to get in, unless asking someone to get up and out of the way. I wouldn't hesitate to do that if the need was there, but I just shook my head at the rudeness, and chose to let it go.

Sure. But if you can't touch the bottom, or can't touch an edge, you might as well be swimming in the middle of the Atlantic. At some point even the strongest swimmers need to be able to stop.

That is true. Which is why people should never block the ladders.

I like to use the ool early in the day before the P, lol. This summer on the Gem there was people hanging on to the edge, but always people going in for a dip. I wish there were steps in all the pools. the Dawn's pools is just as deep but you can walk in.

Use the ignore feature for annoying posters like this one. It will greatly enhance your cruise critic forum experience.

Correct. I have lots of people on ignore. Including you now!

For what it's worth, on this same Getaway cruise, I was never able to enter the water feature in Spice H2O because of people sitting along the edges, even on the entry stairs. There was nowhere to get in, unless asking someone to get up and out of the way. I wouldn't hesitate to do that if the need was there, but I just shook my head at the rudeness, and chose to let it go.

The water is salt on Escape if I recall. Pretty easy to float. Can just hang out in the middle and float around ;p

I did go in the pool during our stop at Great Stirrup Cay. It wasn't crowded and there was a super nice lady doing exercises in it, I just tread water and chatted her up, but there were only 3 people in it at the time as everyone as at the beach.

Why don't they use a chemical that detects urine and changes color around the offender, first one embarrassed and no one is gonna do it again.?

This chemical doesn't exist. It's a myth.

does that really exist? lol

There is an opening for soemone to make their fortune. Imagine how much you would sell!!! Every municipal pool in the world would use it!!

Not really. there may be some type of this product on market but distinguishing between what type of bacteria is difficult. Plus further reading and you'll see the logic of kids jumping in a pool just to test it! lol

Aside from the obvious "you make the adult pool deep so the children stay out of it", there is another side to look at.

The Escape was launched three years ago. Assuming only 7 day cruises with 4000 passengers, that means that over a half million people have sailed on this ship. Why then, is this pool depth only a problem now???