Electrical Outlets

JohnTroed

Hi

Going on Independence of the Seas this September but can't find any info on the Royal Caribbean site (pretty useless to be honest) - I understand there are both European and American outlets in the cabins, do they both work? :D

Many thanks

Hi

Going on Independence of the Seas this September but can't find any info on the Royal Caribbean site (pretty useless to be honest) - I understand there are both European and American outlets in the cabins, do they both work? :D

Many thanks

Of course they both work.

Hi

Many thanks

yes they work. they are located at the vanity/desk area. there are pretty much no other accessible outlets anywhere else( the one in the bathroom is strictly for electric shavers only)

there one Euro plug and 2 American style. power strips with a surge protector are NOT allowed. you can request an extension cord. we typically bring all of our external chargers( we have like 3 or 4 at last count). one is plugged in at all times and we use those to charge our cell phones/kindle/ipad over night. it has like 3 USB ports. so one outlet can charge both phones at once.

Hi

Many thanks

Why would they put in outlets that didn't work? You don't say where you are from, but you will need the appropriate adaptor for any appliance you want to plug jnto the "other" outlet. And PLEASE make sure, before you do that, that your appliance or charger is dual voltage.

If you're on Indy in Sept, then the kettle will be in one of the sockets, probably the 220 one, but I don't think it will be sealed in like some kettles are, so that will be available. As far as I know, kettles are removed when she sails across the Atlantic, which is why I think it's not a sealed one, but can' quite remember...the kettle is on the side table. You'll need an adapter for both types.

In the past I have used both outlets. Used a plug adapter (NOT a voltage converter) with a wall transformer/charger that was already capable of handling the higher voltage. Many are now.

Look closely at the label: 100-240V 50/60 hz.

You may have 2 Euro and 2 US. Depends on the ship.

RCI is not banning ALL power strips, but it is not fully enforced. But if they confiscate your power strip, it is listed as prohibited.

Just to clear, the Euro outlets are 220 volt. The US outlets are 110 volt. Most electronics (laptops), and chargers are fine with 220 volt, but make SURE your device is OK with the higher voltage, or expect to destroy the device.

I carry one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gives me 2x USB charge ports as well as an adapter, so I can use a Euro outlet for charging and possibly one other device (including another charger if needed).