Questions about Suite Life - Island Princess

firesidequilter

Not sure if it mattered which ship, but we will be on Island, get to enjoy one of the new Vista Suites. I know some are not happy about the "new design" but this is NOT about that!

1. Perks list CD/DVD player with access to complimentary DVD library. Has anyone seen the library list? Is it current movies?

2. Anyone been in L723...wondering about overhang (shade).

3. Can anyone explain "thermal suite"? Is it just a heated "chair"? Do we have to go to Sanctuary and book our times?

4. Is there any "secrets" to share with us? We know we get a "Specialty Dining Dinner" on Embarkation at one of the restaurants. Anything else we may not have "heard about"?

We are doing the Panama Canal Cruise from Florida to California in November. We are considering "SegwayCartagena" to get around our first port. Without knowing how hot it will be we figured this would allow us to enjoy the sights! We have nothing planned for Fuerte Amador...thinking we will just walk off and wander about.

I had found a Side-by-side ATV excursion for either Puntarenas or San Juan Del Sur...but now I can not find it :mad:... does anyone have experience with this? Hubby is looking forward to Snuba in Cabo San Lucas. We have been on 2 previous cruises and feel sometimes its best to just walk off the ship and decide what to do, depending on weather & how we are feeling.

I look forward to "hearing" your advice! Happy Sailing to ALL!

Hi,

You may get more info about your Panama Canal ports on the Ports of Call boards on this site. We are doing the same cruise but on the Coral and from LA to Florida. It is my understanding that Fuerte Amador is a tender port where you can only get off if you have a ship's tour. You'll have to check on that.

The DVD's are not brand new but fairly recent

Perks will include free laundry service, one free mini bar setup, club class dining (separate area of dining room with separate entrance (anytime dining) with extra entrees not available in the main dining room and the ever popular breakfast at Sabatini's

Can anyone explain "thermal suite"? Is it just a heated "chair"? Do we have to go to Sanctuary and book our times?

The Thermal Suite is in the spa area. It has about 6 heated stone loungers, a couple steam rooms, sauna, and a couple aroma showers. It is coed and there is a charge for people not in full suites. It is complimentary for those in full suites. Just go to the spa desk with your cruise card and get signed up.

The Sanctuary is a different area and there is a charge for everyone. You also have to sign up, but I don't know where since I've never done it.

).

3. Can anyone explain "thermal suite"? Is it just a heated "chair"? Do we have to go to Sanctuary and book our times?

Thermal Suite is the pay are for steam and sauna plus heated tile loungers. Not associated with Sanctuary at all.

You go to the spa, they confirm your suite access, usually with a stocker on cruise card, and you can come and go as many times as you like to the Thermal Suite. It's relaxing, if you like a variety of steam and sauna..

"4. Is there any "secrets" to share with us? We know we get a "Specialty Dining Dinner" on Embarkation at one of the restaurants. Anything else we may not have "heard about"?"

Specialty Restaurants, it's either Sabatini's (Italian) or the Bayou Steakhouse. Their menus will be posted outside the restaurants on deck 7. Call the dining line to reserve a time or just visit the restaurant in the afternoon.

You can order room service from the full menu. Ask your cabin steward for the menus.

At the tender port during peak times you will get priority ship to shore (not shore to ship) tender service. Show up at the tender ticket location and you will be placed into the next group out.

I sailed the Island some years back and don't recall the rock beds. Sailing again in February and my mom loves those beds. I told her I thought they didn't have them on this ship. . Can anyone who has sailed recently confirm this?

We have nothing planned for Fuerte Amador...thinking we will just walk off and wander about.

As pointed out above, this is a tender port and the tender brings you to a dock with very little around it to wander about.

If you want to wander about Panama City, you will need a way to get there from the tender dock.

The mimosas breakfast in Sabatini’s is wonderful. They have their own kitchen if I’m not mistaken. Peaceful, quiet individualized service that is amongst the best on the ship. We always get a comfy booth by the windows.

When our server overheard my DH talking about Nutella crepes he found some Nutella on the ship and came back and made DH his crepes.

I like fresh berries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries for breakfast. Once they know this they always have them on hand.

While the breakfast menu in Sabatini’s is the same every day (I really like it) you can ask for anything you want. If they have it they’ll make it. Club class dining will also accommodate you in ways the MDR may not be able to.

On our next trip this December I’m going to see if I can get eggs Benedict with asparagus and crab.

We’ve sailed in the middle (Panama) and corner (Alaska) aft suites on the Island Princess Aloha deck below you and this coming May we have 14 days in the corner aft suite on the Lido deck next door to you. These suites are so far our favorite and the Island Princess crew stands out as some of the best in the fleet.

When you are making reservations in the specialty dining room be sure they know you’re in a full suite. In the past I was told my preferred time was not available until I mentioned the suite. Then I was given whatever time slot I desired.

Print out the suite benefits pdf from the princess website and bring it with you. When my steward was unaware of the free daily waters I simply showed him this.

Also I’ve found when I call room service from a suite they pick up immediately. When we called from the standard balcony....not so much.

When you have your MDR lunch or dinner delivered they should bring a tablecloth and set up your balcony table for you. If they don’t bring a table cloth just request it next time. I’ve only had them not bring it once. Bring some LED candles for a romantic balcony dinner.

As pointed out above, this is a tender port and the tender brings you to a dock with very little around it to wander about.

If you want to wander about Panama City, you will need a way to get there from the tender dock.

I agree. Take a cab and explore the city and culture! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed the Island some years back and don't recall the rock beds. Sailing again in February and my mom loves those beds. I told her I thought they didn't have them on this ship. . Can anyone who has sailed recently confirm this?

"Rock beds"? Are you meaning the heated tile loungers? If so, they most definitely do have them in the Thermal Suite. It dies cost to use the Thermal Suite, unless you're in a suite.

If you mean something else, help us out with what you mean..

"Rock beds"? Are you meaning the heated tile loungers? If so, they most definitely do have them in the Thermal Suite. It dies cost to use the Thermal Suite, unless you're in a suite.

If you mean something else, help us out with what you mean..

I'm sorry, yes I mean the tile loungers. My mom calls them rock beds and guess she has brainwashed me! She will be very happy to hear that! We are booked in a suite so she can enjoy all she wants. I have no idea how I missed them before. Thank you!