San Diego pier

highscar

San Diego is the easiest cruise port I've sailed out of. Lots to see and do within a short distance of the cruise terminal, and as was already pointed out, lots of hotels. My "go to" hotel is the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway.

Roz

I have to ask as a San Diego resident: Why would you care?

I would rather have fresh ocean air over a crowded indoor terminal. If it bothers you at all then show up later in the afternoon and you will board your ship quickly.

igraf

We will be boarding in San Diego and supposed to be in with a Disney ship. Anyone know how they decide which ship gets the south side of the pier with the tent "terminal"?

Just curious. I am actually a native San Diegan and also enjoy ocean air. Have sailed from that terminal many times and the tent can be really hot and stuffy and on a bad day not exactly fresh ocean air.

Also entering on the A deck limits everyone to only a few elevators- no access to the other elevator banks.

Edited by frankc98376

We will be boarding in San Diego and supposed to be in with a Disney ship. Anyone know how they decide which ship gets the south side of the pier with the tent "terminal"?

Which date are you guys sailing out of SD, Frank? As a rule, if there are two ships in port, the bigger out of the two gets the terminal and the smaller, the tent. Having said that, if one of the ships is on a "turnaround day" (i.e. disembarking "old" and embarking "new" guests) that ship will dock at the passenger terminal. Lastly, the frequency of calling comes into play, i.e, a 7-day ship takes precedence over a 10-day ship, taking into account if the ship uses San Diego as a "seasonal" home port and is not on a "repo" north or southbound

Which date are you guys sailing out of SD, Frank? As a rule, if there are two ships in port, the bigger out of the two gets the terminal and the smaller, the tent. Having said that, if one of the ships is on a "turnaround day" (i.e. disembarking "old" and embarking "new" guests) that ship will dock at the passenger terminal. Lastly, the frequency of calling comes into play, i.e, a 7-day ship takes precedence over a 10-day ship, taking into account if the ship uses San Diego as a "seasonal" home port and is not on a "repo" north or southbound

Hi!

Great to see you! We are sailing on NADM 28 April. 6 night coastal and first Alaska. I believe Disney will be in with us. NADM is finishing her Mexico cruises.

Hi!

Great to see you! We are sailing on NADM 28 April. 6 night coastal and first Alaska. I believe Disney will be in with us. NADM is finishing her Mexico cruises.

NADM is just a bit bigger than Disney Wonder so should get the building and the latter the tent

For those spending anytime in downtown San Diego area, there is a new free shuttle service. It's called FRED for free ride everywhere downtown. If interested, check out the FRED app. Laurie

Thank you for this information.

When we sail out of San Diego we always arrive about 3 days early and stay at the Embassy Suites.

For those spending anytime in downtown San Diego area, there is a new free shuttle service. It's called FRED for free ride everywhere downtown. If interested, check out the FRED app. Laurie

Thanks for the info, Laurie. I'll have to check it out. I wonder how the Uber and Lyft drivers feel about this?

Roz

I just looked FRED up and am very impressed. They go anywhere from downtown to Laurel Street so Little Italy is included.

They make money be selling advertising on the inside and outside of the vehicles. Totally free (does suggest tipping the driver). Can't wait to try it

Could not find a map of where FRED goes.....

Does it go as far as Shelter Island?

Services from Bario Logan in the south (near Coronado bridge) North to Laurel Street on Pacific Highway (at the east end of the airport) so I'd guess no Shelter Island or airport