New to Holland America

Nashna

We are considering booking a Koninsdam 10-Day Caribbean sailing in 2019. While this would be my 42nd cruise, my experience with HA is a short 7-day cruise over 20 years ago. We are eclectic cruisers. This year, we sailed on Seabourn for 12 days and did a short 7-day Bermuda cruise on NCL. (Holland America was sold out of balconies and above.)

I would truly appreciate any input you might give to the following questions.

We are fine sailing in a balcony. Are there any suite perks, besides space, that would make sailing in a suite a big deal?

I noticed a big change in HA's dress code. Would my husband be more comfortable bringing a sports jacket for gala nights? (He does like to conform...)

Since I am brand new to the HA forum, is there anything I need to know that is unique to HA?

We have sailed on Princess in the past and do have some status with them, can this be applied to HA?

My cruises have been greatly enhanced by the information that I have received on cruise critic. I am looking forward to learning all about HA from you.

The only thing you get from a suite below the Neptune or Pinnacle suite is double suite days and concierge services. And of course , more room. Dress for dining has become less formal, even on gala(formal)nights. Collared shirt and nice pants are minimum. You get nothing for your sailing from Princess except a 1 star mariner status if you have never sailed HAL before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The suite perks on HAL are applicable essentially to "Neptune Suite" and "Pinnacle Suite". The most important are access to a Neptune Lounge, priority embarkation and disembarkation, free laundry and breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill.

If you have sailed on Princess, you probably have a good idea of what people wear on casual nights and formal nights. Regardless of what both HAL and Princess suggest in their documentation or what folks will offer as suggestions on Cruise Critic, our experience is that they are really close in dress patterns with Princess having a few more tuxedo clad passengers.

The Koningsdam is a lovely ship. While not as big as the Royal or Regal Princess ships, it is as new and modern and offers many of the same amenities restaurant wise.

HAL ships have long been known as smaller, traditional and quieter ships for older passengers. HAL management is trying hard to change that image with their newer ships like the Koingdam. The newer larger ships will be more like Princess from what I hear, than anything else.

We like late fixed dining so one still sees enough gowns and tuxedos during this dining time to feel comfortable still dressing up on Gala Night. Surprised at the number of men in dark suits on our last cruise to Alaska, which is known for being more casual, at that dinner hour. However with the Anytime Dining on Gala Night one sees just about anything and everything these dsys. Both casual and dressy. Wear what you like to wear is the name of the game today. Use the guidelines but don't be surprised when you don't see people turned away at door if they are not honoring them.

The "suite" category is confusing since regular verandah cabins are now called "suites". But as pointed out earlier, the only suites with the extra perks are the Neptune and Pinnacle suites - much larger cabins and very large verandahs, with a very nice array of extras that do make the cruise experience feel a lot more intimate and special for obvdiouly the more upscale costs.

But whether this matters can depend on the numbers of at-sea days and the length of the cruise. The longer in both categories, the more time to enjoy the larger cabin and the extra perks.

PS: we are still partial to the older, smaller and much more traditional HAL ships and have not tried anything larger than the Nieuw Amsterdam which was nice too but this was a shorter, port intensive cruise. Konigsdam sounds just too big for us. So that colors my remarks - we like the smaller, quieter, older HAL atmosphere. Feels like we are cruising and at-sea on those ships. Which is one reason we cruise. Just to be close to, see and see the sea. The older ships have those wonderful 360 degree teak promenade decks. That got short-changed on the Konigsdam. Still there, but not as generously sized.

Welcome. HAL itineraries are always good so 10 days on a HAL ship, no matter which one, always has its own rewards. And the HAL crews remain wonderful. The ships always feel like welcoming cocoons.

At the NY Deli, be sure to ask for extra meat on your sandwich. They make a wonderful Reuben. The Dutch Café has free food; you don't need to buy a special coffee, beer, or hot chocolate to order the food. Pinnace Grill offers lunch on sea days, and it's a nice option, but go early enough that you don't miss MDR dinner on the gala nights, which usually occurs on sea days.

In the evening, movies are offered at the Lido Pool. On the balcony level (NY Deli again), you can get free snacks like popcorn, nachos, and pizza to order. Go early because it gets very crowded.

You should enjoy K. Have a lovely cruise.

We love HA. Have cruised both the older, smaller Zandaam for 34 days in South America, and the larger Nieuw Amsterdam for seven days in Alaska this summer.

The food, service and entertainment are great. The larger ships are a little more lively. The new bar with the dueling pianos is a lot of fun.

One negative, the internet is troublesome. The per minute plans just aren’t worth it because I’ve had to wait almost a half hour for my email to download, and sending a reply was impossible. South America was worse than Alaska, but Alaska was pretty bad too. The unlimited plans are pricey but at least the minutes aren’t ticking by.

Another odd thing...the cruise directors don’t seem to have much personality. They introduce the shows and do the announcements, almost as if they’re reciting by rote, but you don’t see them much around the ship.

All in all, though, it’s a great experience. We like HA better than Princess, Celebrity (also great but their itineraries aren’t as interesting), Crystal (stodgy) and Regent (great food and bigger cabins but not worth it.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are retired and certainly fit into the current HA demographics. Shows are not important to us and we rarely partake in activities that include the cruise director so we should be happy sailing on HA. We tend to choose our cruises based on the itinerary. It has been many years since we visited the A,B.C, islands so we were pleased to find this voyage. We are considering booking an Aft-facing Vista Suite stateroom. We are unable to choose a particular stateroom at this time. Hopefully, the aft-facing Vista Suites are similar and we won't be stuck with a bad location.

Since you have sailed on Princess, you will be considered a 1 star mariner.

Once you have booked your cruise, and after you have gotten your confirmation number, go to HAL's site and go to "Booked Guests". You should see your Mariner number there.

On the ship, near the end of the cruise you should be invited to the Mariners Brunch. That is the only extra perk you will get from having sailed on Princess.

We move around so much between lines that we rarely receive great perks. It is interesting, because Celebrity and RCCL do a bit more to acknowledge loyalty between the lines. Perhaps, Carnival Corp is just too large to extend the perks to all their different cruise lines.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are retired and certainly fit into the current HA demographics. Shows are not important to us and we rarely partake in activities that include the cruise director so we should be happy sailing on HA. We tend to choose our cruises based on the itinerary. It has been many years since we visited the A,B.C, islands so we were pleased to find this voyage. We are considering booking an Aft-facing Vista Suite stateroom. We are unable to choose a particular stateroom at this time. Hopefully, the aft-facing Vista Suites are similar and we won't be stuck with a bad location.

One thing about those aft facing suites. We booked an upcoming cruise onboard while in Alaska, and the cruise consultant was pushing the aft suites as a change of pace. We agreed, until I walked to the back of the lido deck for a quick noise check. The sound of the churning wake was almost deafening, and all those suites are even closer, being on the lower levels.

The cruise consultant said you couldn’t hear it with the veranda doors closed. That may or may not be true (frankly I doubt it), but what about sitting on the veranda on sea days, or leaving the door open for fresh air while at sea? I don’t think it would be possible to even have a conversation over the din.

Have never stayed in an aft suite, and I know people love them, but I just don’t think my wife and I could ever deal with the noise level.

[quote name=BarbarianPaul;56886716.........

The cruise consultant said you couldn’t hear it with the veranda doors closed. That may or may not be true (frankly I doubt it)' date=' but what about sitting on the veranda on sea days, or leaving the door open for fresh air while at sea? I don’t think it would be possible to even have a conversation over the din.

Have never stayed in an aft suite, and I know people love them, but I just don’t think my wife and I could ever deal with the noise level.

One thing you will not be able to do is leave your balcony door open while the ship is underway ..for fresh air ... since cabins have a closed ventilation system for fire suppression purposes and are also interconnected to other cabins in that same ventilation circuit. There is a note on the verandah door stating these doors must be kept closed for proper ventilation purposes.

Also when verandah doors are open this cabin ventilation pressure system forces air out of the cabin, not into the cabin. So any fresh air will need to be enjoyed only out on the balcony itself or out on deck.

I have not heard people ever mention too much noise in the aft cabins. However, the lower decks that have an open aft deck for public use, it is quite noisy in that lower deck location from the wake and engine noise, but in a white noise sort of fashion. Spent many hours back there once on a long cruise on the Rotterdam - it was quite a popular space. One really felt being at sea back there.

One thing you will not be able to do is leave your balcony door open while the ship is underway ..for fresh air ... since cabins have a closed ventilation system for fire suppression purposes and are also interconnected to other cabins in that same ventilation circuit. There is a note on the verandah door stating these doors must be kept closed for proper ventilation purposes.

Also when verandah doors are open this cabin ventilation pressure system forces air out of the cabin, not into the cabin. So any fresh air will need to be enjoyed only out on the balcony itself or out on deck.

I have not heard people ever mention too much noise in the aft cabins. However, the lower decks that have an open aft deck for public use, it is quite noisy in that lower deck location from the wake and engine noise, but in a white noise sort of fashion. Spent many hours back there once on a long cruise on the Rotterdam - it was quite a popular space. One really felt being at sea back there.

I’ve never heard anyone complain either, and I’ve never been in an aft cabin, so I’m sure I’m overreacting. And the AC would probably mask the sound at night. But I’m not sure spending a quiet afternoon on the veranda on a sea day would be possible.

Since you have sailed on Princess, you will be considered a 1 star mariner...Once you have booked your cruise, and after you have gotten your confirmation number, go to HAL's site and go to "Booked Guests". You should see your Mariner number there...On the ship, near the end of the cruise you should be invited to the Mariners Brunch. That is the only extra perk you will get from having sailed on Princess.

Another 'new to Holland America' couple here, just booked a cruise through the canal leaving from San Diego. The recent change to HAL's smoking policy and the number of voyages leaving from San Diego made us decide it's time to give it a try. We've been cruising for many years, mostly with Celebrity and Princess. Question about the above statement: How would HAL know that we've sailed on Princess? No one asked during the booking process.

Another 'new to Holland America' couple here, just booked a cruise through the canal leaving from San Diego. The recent change to HAL's smoking policy and the number of voyages leaving from San Diego made us decide it's time to give it a try. We've been cruising for many years, mostly with Celebrity and Princess. Question about the above statement: How would HAL know that we've sailed on Princess? No one asked during the booking process.

Carnival owns them both.

If you care, you can eat lunch in the main dining room if you board early enough on embarkation day. Most folks seem to dash to the Lido. We enjoyed a very relaxing lunch in the Koningsdam's MDR this past June in Amsterdam. Also, depending on your tastes, be sure to try the Tamarind which is billed as "Pan Asian" and we've really enjoyed eating there on Eurodam and Koningsdam. The K'dam is HAL's largest (at the moment) but we didn't think it was gigantic... I really enjoyed some of the Lincoln Center classical performances and there was a pretty spectacular musical/video presentation/show in the main theater one night on this last cruise.

Another 'new to Holland America' couple here, ... We've been cruising for many years, mostly with Celebrity and Princess. Question about the above statement: How would HAL know that we've sailed on Princess? No one asked during the booking process.

Our TA informed the Mariner Society that we'd sailed once on Princess. She said it helped that I had recorded the numbers we were given in 2008.

I’ve never heard anyone complain either, and I’ve never been in an aft cabin, so I’m sure I’m overreacting. And the AC would probably mask the sound at night. But I’m not sure spending a quiet afternoon on the veranda on a sea day would be possible.
We've two stern cabins, one on the Noordam and one on the Nieuw A. We weren't bothered by wake noise on either, but the Noordam had some period bad vibrations. On the N.A. we had a corner wrap-around suite, so we could get away from most of the wake noise whenever we wanted by going around to the side.

Our TA informed the Mariner Society that we'd sailed once on Princess. She said it helped that I had recorded the numbers we were given in 2008.

Thank you, we'll have our TA take care of it or just go see the Mariner Society representative when we get onboard. We do have our Princess Captain's Club member number. I didn't think that HAL would automatically go out and search all affiliated cruise lines every time someone new booked!

I didn't think that HAL would automatically go out and search all affiliated cruise lines every time someone new booked!
You may already be flagged as 1-star. Check your booking. If not, you can email your Princess # to the Mariner Society (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/contact-us.html , Topic: Mariner Society) or call 800-547-9139 and they'll take care of it. Edited by catl331

Non vacation periods will find most cruise lines filled with retirees-both early retirees and seniors.

One thing that two of the TA's that we have dealt with commented about HAL is their suites. They have told us that on many cruise lines the lowest cost insides and higher cost suites are the first to sell out.

Both told us that this is much less so on HAL. If you book a verandah you will have a much better chance of receiving either an upgrade or a upsell offer after the final payment date to a suite on HAL than you will on other cruise lines.

Are there any suite perks, besides space, that would make sailing in a suite a big deal?

The HAL website has a list of the perks of Signature and Neptune Suites. Sometimes the price difference isn't very large.

We really liked the brand of tea (Harvey & Sons) served in Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle Grill and started using it since returning home.

The large balcony really is nice. I loved having two sinks in our Neptune Suite and especially the separate seated area right outside the bathroom where I could dry my hair and finish my makeup, separate from the steamed up bathroom after hubby gets done in there. Loads of closet and storage space, and plenty of room to move about the cabin.

Neptune Lounge is very nice, great heavy snacks and pastries, a daily newspaper, and Concierge services were so helpful, including printing out boarding passes for our flight home. We were lucky our cabin was on same deck, for convenient access to NL.

We got spoiled very quickly and are booked again in a NS for next year. If a future cruise has a big price diff. between NS and Signature, I think I'll be very happy in a SS.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. We ended up booking an Aft Veranda VS on Deck 8 on the January 13th sailing. We have never sailed in an Aft stateroom and DH is eager to try that option. Last year, we sailed in a fantastic wrap around suite on Princess that was above the bridge and loved the experience. Prior to that cruise, we always booked staterooms located in the middle of the ship. Now, we are up for different locations.

I've had a great time researching this cruise. I must admit, I am already impressed by HA. The pricing for the drink packages and dining options are very reasonable. In June, we sailed for the first time, on the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda, and found their pricing to be much higher than HA. We have noticed on both Norwegian and RCCL, that a $7.95 room service charge is on all but the highest suite categories. It was nice to see that HA has not implemented this charge.