Christmas on Oceania

Grandmom3

Christmas is a religious holiday, and as such, it is pretty low key. There is a beautiful gingerbread village set up with cookies and candies. Beautiful trees are decorated all over the ship. Dinner, I believe was goose as an extra offering ( We ate in a specialty on both Regatta and Riviera for Christmas). New Years is a celebration on the pool deck with music and dancing until the mini ball drop for the New Year, with a glass of champagne. Can’t remember a special dinner, but everyone was given party favors! Expect more Children on the cruise.

We loved our Christmas cruise. We spent Christmas Day on Easter Island. Santa showed up for a few hours that morning. The kids on our cruise were in their early 20s. We received a small gift from Oceania. As mentioned before the day was pretty low keyed and we loved it.

• Like 1

We've had Christmas and New Years on 2 cruises, Dubai to Cape Town and Buenos Aires around SA to Miami. The first was on Nautica and second on Marina. Both ships had lovely holiday decorations from mid Dec until after Jan 1. There was also the traditional gingerbread village prepared by the chefs with unending trays of a variety of cookies. On Christmas Eve there was a wonderful program by the entertainment folks. Everyone participated passengers and crew. We all finished the evening singing Christmas carols. Oceania gives you a nice Christmas present which is waiting for you when you return to staterooms. New Years Eve party with dancing and champagne toast at midnight. O makes the holidays special!!

• Like 1

We booked a Dec 14-Jan 7 cruise somewhat reluctantly because we were concerned that we'd feel inundated with Xmas, a holiday we don't observe.

These posts are just adding to that concern: Xmas focused entertainment, Xmas carols, lots of Xmas trees, gingerbread village, Xmas presents.

I think we were foolish to let the appeal of the itinerary override our common sense.

Too late now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

We booked a Dec 14-Jan 7 cruise somewhat reluctantly because we were concerned that we'd feel inundated with Xmas, a holiday we don't observe.

These posts are just adding to that concern: Xmas focused entertainment, Xmas carols, lots of Xmas trees, gingerbread village, Xmas presents.

I think we were foolish to let the appeal of the itinerary override our common sense.

Too late now.

I doubt that there are strolling carolers so simply don't go to the Xmas eve show if you wish to avoid them.

As for the gift, it will not be religious based, so what is wrong with getting a gift? I'm sure you can arrange to not be giving one if that is better.

And holiday trees are everyone in the US. Every mall, store, movie theater, etc has one up, I don't know why you thought the ship would not have them as well.

The first responder to this post, Cruseforme, stated that "it is pretty low key"

We do not celebrate Christmas, no tree, presents, turkey dinner or ugly holiday sweaters for us. However, I do not expect everyone else to abstain from this holiday.

It's not too late. Talk to your TA. I believe you can still cancel a December cruise and get your money back.

• Like 1

We're not canceling. We've booked airfare, apartments before and after the cruise, private excursions.

In December at home we avoid as many places as we can that have Xmas overload.

Skipping the entertainment is probably what we'll do, but I wish we didn't have to.

KS&JW, it's sad that you have so little empathy.

We're not canceling. We've booked airfare, apartments before and after the cruise, private excursions.

In December at home we avoid as many places as we can that have Xmas overload.

Skipping the entertainment is probably what we'll do, but I wish we didn't have to.

KS&JW, it's sad that you have so little empathy.

Sorry that you feel that way.

• Like 2

Andee.. The holiday activities are low key. There is also a menorah for those who celebrate Hanukkah. The lovely decorations, the delicious cookies, and the one night entertainment...Christmas Eve..are a background for a wonderful cruise. I met an Asian Budhist woman who thought it was all an interesting cultural experience.

The gift you receive is a perfect momento of your cruise. On the first, we got a beautiful felt-lined wooden jewelry box. It has a blue and white tile lid with a picture of the world and cruise info. The one we received for SA cruise( our favorite to date) is a glass ball in lovely ocean colors with painted penguins on it. It is has cruise info. On it and stands on a little wooden stand. Cbb said they received a similar glass ball on trip around Australia with colors of the Outback and aboriginal art. Also a prized present.

The trip is the thing...Have a great cruise!!

Francie

• Like 1

Christmas is a religious holiday, and as such, it is pretty low key. There is a beautiful gingerbread village set up with cookies and candies. Beautiful trees are decorated all over the ship. Dinner, I believe was goose as an extra offering ( We ate in a specialty on both Regatta and Riviera for Christmas). New Years is a celebration on the pool deck with music and dancing until the mini ball drop for the New Year, with a glass of champagne. Can’t remember a special dinner, but everyone was given party favors! Expect more Children on the cruise.

If Christmas were only a religious holiday Black Friday would be about going to church, not the mall.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Chanukah starts on exactly the same date every year: the 25th of Kislev.

But is that date always on the same date on Gregorian calendar which will be observed during the cruise on Oceania.

AFAIK, all Jewish holidays vary from year to year on Gregorian calendar which most of us have to deal with - like it or not.