Christmas on Oceania

Grandmom3

There is a leap month from time to time to keep holidays in their proper seasons.

I think you understood my point but chose not to address it. You say that:

“Chanukah starts on exactly the same date every year: the 25th of Kislev.”

The point I tried to make is that in the Gregorian calendar, which is observed by almost the entire world - including Oceania - that is not the case.

It is NOT on the same date every year:

2015 it was on 12/7

2016. - 12/25

2017 - 12/13

2018 - 12/3

So to simply state that Hanukkah is on the same date every year is relative and only true for the Hebrew calendar. It is not the case for the calendar that most of us keep.

Edited by Paulchili

OMG

Next they will ban all Holiday celebrations worldwide

How did we ever manage before the world became PC

Very true....and so sad.

Andee, after reading your posts which express your strong distaste for Christmas, I'm quite surprised that you'd book a cruise during Christmastime. Did you not realize that the ships decorate and, in a small way, have some celebrations for Christmas?

• Like 2

I never said i had a "distaste" for Xmas.

Perhaps I was naive about how overwhelming it would be.

The itinerary was very appealing.

Our travel options are limited due to DH's difficult, complicated, and incomplete recovery from 2 cardiac arrests on Jan 20, 2017.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I never said i had a "distaste" for Xmas.

Overwhelming in what way ?

Sorry do people where you live not decorate for their special Holidays ?

It is so disturbing for you to see decorations ?

You probably should seek professional help then

• Like 2

At home, when I walk out of my bedroom in the morning, I see no Xmas decorations. I can spend a whole day doing things around my home without them.

I can visit friends without a thought of Xmas.

Overwhelming in that there is no getting away from it.

LHT28, I certainly hope that, should you ever experience a minority reaction to something, you find more understanding and tolerance than you have shown to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

LHT28, I certainly hope that, should you ever experience a minority reaction to something, you find more understanding and tolerance than you have shown to me.

We do not celebrate any holidays but I have no objections to seeing 10ft Menorahs or Christmas trees in the streets

Sometimes in the same week

Enjoy life ..it has an expiry date

• Thanks 2

Andee, we all have issues. Every one of us. And in order to live in the world, every one of us finds coping mechanisms. When traveling outside of those known mechanisms, it's beholden on each of to research how that's going to work. You've posted that you've made a mistake in booking this cruise, but yet have stated you can't extract yourself from it. There is nothing that anyone here can offer you to help, and I can't figure out what it is that you expect from the people on this board. I just have this mental image of you getting more and more irritated and unhappy during your trip every time you pass a Christmas tree on board. That's so tragic to me - you are going on my dream itinerary.

I guess I do have some advice, as someone who also came within a hair's breadth of being a widow. Take this cruise as a celebration that your husband is still with you and the progress he has managed, and that you have been gifted with the opportunity to sit on your balcony and hold hands while cruising past the Chilean fjords. Ignore everything else.

• Like 1

Andee, if you are worried that a Christmas-time cruise on Oceania will be more decorated and/or Christmas-centric than say Wisconsin, I can set your mind at ease. Think more "country club" level of decoration and less than "mall" or even "drug store" intensity of decoration.

You may want to let your cabin steward know if you would like to opt out of any Christmas-themed mementos (different holiday, but for example we received a little box of Easter candy onboard).

Since you are happy 'making the best of things', perhaps you could re-frame "Christmas" as "interesting cultural phenomenon" similar to other things that aren't celebrated by you (for me, examples might be world cup competition colors or Diwali festivities)? Or if yours is a specific issue with Christmas, and if on this trip you see that it puts a big damper on your enjoyment, you can always stay home in the future at this time of the year - or choose to go to non-Christian destinations with non-western service providers at this time of year. I am sure you will figure something out that works for you!

I guess I have a difficult time trying to figure out what could be "overwhelming"....I doubt that non-jewish people get overwhelmed by seeing Xanukah decorations or menorahs.

Also, hopefully you realize that most, if not all, of the countries you'll be visiting are populated by mostly Christians and they often have many decorations and celebrations.

Hope you have a great cruise and can focus on your purpose for going and not get distracted by things that aren't important to you. :D

• 11 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:41 AM, Kate-AHF said:

Andee, we all have issues. Every one of us. And in order to live in the world, every one of us finds coping mechanisms. When traveling outside of those known mechanisms, it's beholden on each of to research how that's going to work. You've posted that you've made a mistake in booking this cruise, but yet have stated you can't extract yourself from it. There is nothing that anyone here can offer you to help, and I can't figure out what it is that you expect from the people on this board. I just have this mental image of you getting more and more irritated and unhappy during your trip every time you pass a Christmas tree on board. That's so tragic to me - you are going on my dream itinerary.

I guess I do have some advice, as someone who also came within a hair's breadth of being a widow. Take this cruise as a celebration that your husband is still with you and the progress he has managed, and that you have been gifted with the opportunity to sit on your balcony and hold hands while cruising past the Chilean fjords. Ignore everything else.

You are a saint 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, Kate-AHF said:

Amen. Best advice for all of us. Beautifully put. 

It merely appears to me that either:

1. Christmas time is not a good time for Andee to sail; or 

2. Oceania is not a good match for her during that period.

3. All of the above.

A cruise line can’t be all things to all people. Attempting to do so drives away more than it attracts. Fairly simple actually. Best of Luck on future sailings.

41 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It merely appears to me that either:

1. Christmas time is not a good time for Andee to sail; or 

2. Oceania is not a good match for her during that period.

3. All of the above.

A cruise line can’t be all things to all people. Attempting to do so drives away more than it attracts. Fairly simple actually. Best of Luck on future sailings.

+1 on this.  Is this the only sailing of that itinerary?  I am glad you and your husband can celebrate his improved health (there right now) and I know the problem of Xmas in the face from my Jewish DH and his family.  However, cruises and resorts mostly have Xmas in the face in December and early January so it is not the best time for you to sail if it will make you enjoy the experience less.

Remind me never to go on a cruise when the Super Bowl is on ... or 4th of July, or Thanksgiving. 

I am English and do not observe these traditions. I do not think I could bear to be on a ship where a Thanksgiving meal was observed. Also 4th of July is morally repugnant of course because you colonials celebrate the parting of ways from our glorious British Empire. 

The above is OF COURSE tongue in cheek and if anyone is offended, well, please calm down. 

Seriously, as someone whose family did not observe Christmas during my childhood, we just avoided and did something else. A few Christmas trees and some carols being sung is not really that awful is it? Imagine if we were in a world where people couldn’t celebrate their faith for fear of offending someone else....

• Like 2