Cruising to Cuba & Caribbean- Shore Excursion recommendations?

Hello!

I will be traveling to Cuba and other Caribbean ports in a couple months. Undecided which excursions to book. Looking for recommendations as some ports have similar offerings and most have no reviews on the ship website. Which port is better for water activities (scuba, snorkel, submarine, beach)? What are excursions to avoid and which ones were great? Never been to the ports listed below.

Destinations:

Georgetown, Cayman Islands

Cienfuegos, Cuba

Havana, Cuba

Cozumel, Mexico

I'm in my late 20's,<250lbs, and fairly active (can take strenuous activity level). I know how to swim and have snorkeled and zip-lined before. Never scuba-dived. I'm a social drinker and a foodie. Non-smoker. Cost doesn't matter.

Wouldn't mind doing a water activity at either Cayman Islands or Cozumel. Looking for a good tour in Havana that involves walking and seeing the architecture/classic cars (deciding between Best of Havana, Modern Havana & American Classic cars, and Old Havana Walking Tour & Fortress Visit excursions)-any pros/cons and difference between Old and Modern Havana?.

Thanks in advance!

worldtravelerforlife

Did the Modern Havana and Classic Cars (HAL Tour) last Christmas cruise - which was comprehensive and a good over-view of many of the highlights. Too much time wasted at lunch but that comes with the territory on group tours. Others have made private arrangements which are more flexible since none of the HAL tours went to everything I had wanted to see.

Ours was the first time HAL had been to Cuba so no one really knew how restrictive things would be along with the new US guidelines at that time. Much more relaxed now but you still need to be accountable to the Dept of Treasury regulations any way you best see fit. Can't recommend you ingore those - 8 hours people to people - one way or another. Then you can go out, late into the night, on your own.

Did the long distance HAL tour to Trinidad out of Cienfuegos and it was great to see more of the countryside, how people live locally outside of the larger cities and the historical colonial town was of some interest too. Again, lots of wasted time during the group lunch at a nice hotel, but it is what it is under the circumstances. Both tours recommended with reservations.

This is not really a water sport itinerary though your best bets will be Cozumel and Georgetown - probably need to arrange something privately in both those ports if you want to dive or snorkel. Cozumel was once a great diving spot but I believe there has been a lot of coral damage due to hurricanes, poor regulations and over-use. That info may need to be brought up to date.

Georgetown had some lovely rugged beaches within walking distance - probably the nicest Caribbean port - lots of offshore money parked here and not the sense of looming crime, drugs and rank poverty like other Caribbean islands.

I think your best bet for water sports are the ABC islands, much further south. Enjoy Havana, a truly grand city - wish we had at least two days there - so much to see, take in and savor. Be jealous about your time there and make sure you get to do exactly what you want to do during that far too limited time.

After literally hundreds of times in so many of the Islands of the Carribe It is IMO , that most really do not require a , big ships' tour to see the highlights of most there is to do a nd see. An exception IMO might be Mayan ruins....... and for most Americans , Cuba is another exception. In most islands, assuming you have done at least a little research prior to your cruise, grab a car and driver/ at taxi to take you to the places that interest you most. You really do not ' need 'Tours' in Caribbean., unlike in Europe.

Edited by sail7seas

Definitely scuba dive if you can.I've only subs dived once but really enjoyed it.

Can't speak to Cozumel(was supposed to go there a couple of cruises ago but missed it due to bad weather.)

LOVED Georgetown-IIRC there were several excursions with snorkeling.

I learned to like Cozumel through the years. Iidn't like it too much our early visits but that changed as we kept stopping there : Of course, they improved the piers so much But the downtown was fun.

We are going to Cuba in January and we booked a tour with Fertours after doing some research on these boards and internet travel sites I could trust.

Have a great time in Cuba, Carol. My wife was born there; it's on our bucket list

Have a great time in Cuba, Carol. My wife was born there; it's on our bucket list

Thanks, John. I will be sailing a not HAL ship for the first time because of the itinerary and my friends' desire. Going on Majesty of the Seas and hope to like it. I know the cabins are tiny, but the itinerary is great and we will be in Key West for Sam's birthday.

Although I was not on a HAL ship, I STRONGLY second a previous poster's comment about the bus tour from Cienfuegos Trinidad (and back). Our ship was scheduled to dock in both places but Trinidad was not ready for us. So, we spent two full days docked in Cienfuegos, with the bus tour to Trinidad as an option for Day 2. A VERY interesting day AND I was go glad we needed to do the bus thing - so many interesting and different sights to see in the country vs. city life. Really showed us a very different Cuba (not better or worse, just very different) than Havana or Cienfuegos.

We were in Havana in April, 2018 and booked with Blexie Havana Tours for a full day tour (walking tour and classic car transportation). Our guide was Lauren and she was fantastic. It was so nice to be a party of two, and run into the HAL ship tour of a party of 25 plus. We knew we made the right choice by arranging the private tour. In the evening we arranged for a private tour with Strawberry Tours (no group tour was offered that evening) for a tour of local/not tourist bars. Nelson was our guide and we enjoyed the tour very much.

If the US Regulations are still the same as in April, and I haven't seen any posts to the contrary, if you book your own tours, the proper classification for your visa is support for the Cuban people. If you book a tour through the ship (we did not) the proper classification is the people to people.

I can highly recommend both tours.

BaltimoreCruise

did you think the cruise as a whole a nd visit to Cuba to be oustanding ? If you knew then what you now know, would you book it again?

If you are asking this question to all of us generally and not just the prior poster, yes I would book another cruise to Cuba. it was outstanding and I would look for a cruise that spent at least two days in Havana. Not just a late overnight and calling it two days with a 2am departure.

If you are asking this question to all of us generally and not just the prior poster, yes I would book another cruise to Cuba. it was outstanding and I would look for a cruise that spent at least two days in Havana. Not just a late overnight and calling it two days with a 2am departure.

Would that be the cruise you would book? I kow you would not likely plan to repeat same cruise but my interest is were you satisfied enough with itt?

ANYone who has done that Veendam cruise and is willing to res pond, THank you.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Did you go out on your own in Cuba at night? If so, did you do one of HAL's excursions? And did you exchange US money to Cuba currency and where did you do so if you did?

Thanks again,

worldtravelerforlife

Did the Modern Havana and Classic Cars (HAL Tour) last Christmas cruise - which was comprehensive and a good over-view of many of the highlights. Too much time wasted at lunch but that comes with the territory on group tours. Others have made private arrangements which are more flexible since none of the HAL tours went to everything I had wanted to see.

Ours was the first time HAL had been to Cuba so no one really knew how restrictive things would be along with the new US guidelines at that time. Much more relaxed now but you still need to be accountable to the Dept of Treasury regulations any way you best see fit. Can't recommend you ingore those - 8 hours people to people - one way or another. Then you can go out, late into the night, on your own.

Did the long distance HAL tour to Trinidad out of Cienfuegos and it was great to see more of the countryside, how people live locally outside of the larger cities and the historical colonial town was of some interest too. Again, lots of wasted time during the group lunch at a nice hotel, but it is what it is under the circumstances. Both tours recommended with reservations.

This is not really a water sport itinerary though your best bets will be Cozumel and Georgetown - probably need to arrange something privately in both those ports if you want to dive or snorkel. Cozumel was once a great diving spot but I believe there has been a lot of coral damage due to hurricanes, poor regulations and over-use. That info may need to be brought up to date.

Georgetown had some lovely rugged beaches within walking distance - probably the nicest Caribbean port - lots of offshore money parked here and not the sense of looming crime, drugs and rank poverty like other Caribbean islands.

I think your best bet for water sports are the ABC islands, much further south. Enjoy Havana, a truly grand city - wish we had at least two days there - so much to see, take in and savor. Be jealous about your time there and make sure you get to do exactly what you want to do during that far too limited time.

We were in Cuba on the Veendam last March and it was a great experience. We took the Best Of Havana tour, then skipped the Tropicana show and instead walked back into the Old City in the evening. The pier is very close to the Old City. In Cienfuegos we took the Best Of Trinidad Tour, loved seeing the countryside and historic Trinidad.

Karen

Sail7Seas,

I would book another cruise to Cuba in a minute. The Veendam cruise we were on was in Havana for only the full day and night, leaving at 2AM. I agree with OlsSalt that 2 full days in Havana would be great. Our private day tour with Blexie's company (Lauren was our guide) was comprehensive. I want to return and spend more time visiting the art galleries and museums. I would again hire Blexie's company to take us where we want to go. There was no time in our one evening there to do a professional show as we wanted to experience the local bar scene. Strawberry Tours facilitated a private tour for us (Nelson was our guide). I recently booked another cruise on the Veendam for January, 2019, but it does not go to Cuba. I couldn't make a Cuban itinerary work for the dates we had to work with in January. I am also interested in visiting the other side of the island.

BaltimoreCruise

We found the two days in Havana on the 12/18/19 sailing on the Veendam. We jumped at this as soon as it came out last month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums