LIVE! The Royal Princess! THE BRITISH ISLES w/ SUNGIRL 29 Aug-10 Sept WELCOME ABOARD!

KCSungirl

All Aboard the Royal Princess for another adventure with Sungirl.

Welcome to the British Isles!

Greetings to my Princess Peeps. The last time we met was in May aboard the Regal Princess in the Baltic. P1, (Tracie Lynn) and I were living large in the Penthouse. This trip I brought PC (Prince Charming) along for the ride. I probably cruise 3 to 1 over him. He has never cruised the large Princess ships, so this is all new for him. The last time he cruised with me was out of Singapore on the Diamond. He was a bit rusty and needed to learn all about navigating this bigger and better ship.

We spent our pre-cruise vacay on the west side of Ireland. The Wild Atlantic Way. We stayed in three castle hotels. It was exhausting to drive, but so beautiful and fun. We returned the car with the side mirrors still intact. Major victory. If you want to know more about the trip you can look at my Facebook travel page. I post videos and photos. The Ashford Castle was a highlight.

Day 1 - Embarkation - Southampton, England

We flew to London Heathrow from Shannon, Ireland on Aer Lingus the evening before. Stayed at the Marriott Heathrow. Great airport hotel and reasonable £112. I booked a transfer through Viator with International Friends. It was a transfer that included a stop at Stonehenge. We are celebrating our 31st Anniversary and Stonehenge was a fun place to celebrate. Totally wild about the history of the stones. If you are not stopping at Stonehenge, you can get a glimpse for a nano-second off the highway in route to Southampton. The tour was a bit pricey $250 (including admission), but comfortable and only 6 people total. If you take a cab from Heathrow, the posted fare was £135. There is a direct bus from the Marriott to Southampton also. You need to pre-book. We had about 90 minutes at Stonehenge which was sufficient. They provide headsets to explain the history. We arrived at the ship around 1:30pm. Check-in is very easy and the lines moved quickly.

I booked an aft balcony R732. Next to the Penthouse. So close, yet so far. I love the cabin and the spacious balcony. It is very open and I like that. The two decks above us can look down on us, but it’s to cool for anyone to really hangout on the balcony. I am really uninspired by all of the beige decor in the cabins. I thinks it’s really bad. Why not introduce some blue on the throw pillows? Drapes? Wall art? Some color would be nice. The carpet is mustard color and it hurts my eyes. Again, navy or some shade of blue would be nice.

If you remember from my previous “live” posts, you know how much I love the buffette. Well, PC goes crazy ape silly for the buffette. You’d think we had never left the farm. Having an aft balcony gives him great access to his favorite place. We always book an aft cabin!

I rarely complain, but I have a complaint. This probably won’t matter to most people, but it matters to me. The Channel selection on the TV is horrible. ESPN U and ESPN 2 Regional. NO ESPN. I am dying because the US Open is on and I can’t watch it. Rafa needs me. Also, if Carnival has network TV and they own Princess, why can’t Princess have network TV? No CNN either! That is not right. I miss TV a lot when I cruise. It’s not a deal breaker, but I would enjoy the cruise more with it. The in-room movie selection sucks also. They should offer a lot more options.

I pre-purchased a coffee card and water online prior to the cruise. I swapped out my elite mini-bar for Diet Coke. We don’t drink anything but Diet Coke and wine. In addition to my 250 free internet minutes, I purchased an extra 200 minutes for $40. I also use my ATT international plan for shore data, text, and calls. $10/day.

All aboard, we are leaving at 6pm! We are unpacked, organized and ready to enjoy the ship and ports. They offered a 2 for 1 in the Crown Grill in the coupon book for embarkation evening only. If I had seen it, we would have taken it. We like the elite happy hour. A good spot for a quick drink and snack. We ate in the HC buffet and went to the production show - Sweet Soul Music. Only one show on the first evening at 9:15pm. They have shuffled around some of the shows due to the schedules of the featured entertainers. The production singers and dancers were outstanding. I say that every cruise and I am always wow’d by them. Very strong and talented. The show was a Motown theme. I loved it. PC fell asleep, but said he still enjoyed it. He is still traumatized from the driving in Ireland. Poor guy.

After the show we hauled off to the cabin. It WAS LoveFest 31. DO NOT DISTURB! ❤️

I have all of my silly videos and photos on Facebook. I hope you are coming with me. See you tomorrow in Cork, Ireland.

Edited by CC Help Jenn
removed masked vulgarity

Can't wait for the rest of your review! We are doing this cruise next summer.

Quick question since you mentioned staying at the London Marriott Heathrow, I am looking at staying there as well. Glad to hear you liked it and wondered about the bus option from the hotel to Southampton port? You said it must be prebooked, is that with the hotel when you arrive or well in advance? And any idea how much it cost?

Just curious because I haven't heard of it and it could be a better deal than the Princess transfer.

Great to see you back here as well. I enjoyed following your Ireland trip on FB. Tell Matt O we'll see him on the next cruise. I still wish you could stay on board with us. Do you know if they're offering wine packages? We'd love to get one for our 15 nights and have a bit of OBC to burn through.

Can't wait for the rest of your review! We are doing this cruise next summer.

Quick question since you mentioned staying at the London Marriott Heathrow, I am looking at staying there as well. Glad to hear you liked it and wondered about the bus option from the hotel to Southampton port? You said it must be prebooked, is that with the hotel when you arrive or well in advance? And any idea how much it cost?

Just curious because I haven't heard of it and it could be a better deal than the Princess transfer.

For about $ 15 each we take the train from London to Southampton and a short taxi ride to the port.

From the port to Heathrow was $ 59 via Princess transfer a few weeks ago

I've been following along on Facebook. We took this cruise in 2015 on the Royal. It was wonderful. I know another couple on this cruise, Deidre and John. They post on Facebook too so between the two of you I have tons of pictures to view of the cruise. Enjoy your cruise.

We'll be sailing on Sept. 10th so I'm eager to read the rest of your posts. Will you be staying on for the TA? Who is the house band? I hope it's New Deal; they're terrific.

It's so exciting to know that the next time the Royal sails out of Southampton we'll be on deck celebrating!

OMG! You have made my day! I have followed all your trips and love your wicked sense of humor :evilsmile:. It sounds like your trip was off to a fantastic start in Ireland. Did you add a flag to your collection?

Have a wonderful time and can't wait to read your daily posts.

Day 2 - St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands

St. Peter Port is a charming island. Very easy to tour on your own. The ship excursions were pretty much sold out, so if you want to book, plan ahead.

We anchored around 6am. We needed a day to sleep in so we didn’t see the light til around 10am. PC delivered coffee to me as usual. I am spoiled. He goes to the coffee bar in the HC. Tender service was efficient and the flow was manageable due to an early arrival. You have to collect a tender ticket if you are wanting to get off the ship early. We figured there would be no tickets necessary by the time we ventured out. We were off around noon and the tenders were still going full.

The city center is a short walk from the tender pier. There was a Petit Train giving a 45 minute tour of the immediate area and we hopped on. £6/pp. It was good because it was raining and provided some shelter. I enjoyed the narration. There are several things to see and plenty of time to do everything if you start early.

All we wanted to do was to walk around town and have a nice lunch. We went to a great French Restaurant - Le Petit Bistro for a fantastic lunch. French Onion soup, escargot, french bread with liver pate’, and a dessert trio to die for. We loved it. We made friends with a local woman at lunch and she was fun. She summers in Guernsey and winters in Cayman. Guernsey is a banking and tax haven for rich people. It’s a rich island.

If we had more ambition we would have toured the WW II Occupation Museum. The history of the German occupation is what most people associate with Guernsey. There are islands with beautiful seascapes, etc. if you venture out further than the town. We got one of the last tenders back to the ship around 4pm.

PC needed a nap! While he was napping I used the time to start this thread. It was the first formal night. We don’t schlepp formal wear. I would have to leave hair product, cosmetics, and shoes at home if I added formal wear. Not going to happen. We actually had acceptable clothes, but we were quite happy in our jeans.

Our first stop of the evening was the show in the Princess Theater - Chris Hamilton, a pianist. London based, he was a former attorney. He was a cross between Liberace and Van Cliburn. He only sang one song at the end - New York, New York. I guess that was worth staying for. PC and I got the giggles really bad because everyone was falling asleep. There is something hypnotic about that sound. We missed the Captain’s welcome and champagne waterfall. We ate in the HC and it was so good. The prime rib was the best we have ever had on a ship. We loaded up on protein. I loved the cheesy cauliflower also. I hope they serve that again.

We went to the Princess Live room for 10pm trivia. Movie Quote trivia. Geoherb, I think of you every time I play trivia. I need to fight for my answers! We came in third place. P1, I need to win another Princess backpack because I forgot mine at home.

The party band, Hitlist, in the atrium is ok. Not as soulful and I like. A soprano singing Beat It, just doesn’t work for me. I prefer those Aretha Franklin big voice types. The Asians are at it again. Dominating the dance floor. I love watching them have a good time. The were line dancing to Beat It. Funny. It brought back the memory on the Regal cruise where all the Chinese guests were singing and dancing to Stayin’ Alive. It was great. They speak no English until these songs play. Then they know every word.

I don’t have a pulse on the piano entertainer Ray Coussins yet. He is definitely the oldest piano entertainer I have seen on a ship. When I looked at him, I thought maybe he was trying to keep his dentures in his mouth. I will revisit this later.

PC is loving the ship. He loves the people watching and the buffet is making him giddy. I haven’t had time to shop yet. Looking forward to checking out the British Isle trinkets. I did notice all the shortbread cookies are on sale because this is one of the last cruises of the season.

DO NOT forget your rain gear! See you in Cork, Ireland tomorrow.

Seacrystal, so glad you are coming with me! You are one of the reasons I post. Thanks for your support

All Aboard the Royal Princess for another adventure with Sungirl.

I rarely complain, but I have a complaint. This probably won’t matter to most people, but it matters to me. The Channel selection on the TV is horrible. ESPN U and ESPN 2 Regional. NO ESPN. I am dying because the US Open is on and I can’t watch it. Rafa needs me. Also, if Carnival has network TV and they own Princess, why can’t Princess have network TV? No CNN either! That is not right. I miss TV a lot when I cruise. It’s not a deal breaker, but I would enjoy the cruise more with it. The in-room movie selection sucks also. They should offer a lot more options.

Minor correction. Carnival Cruise Lines doesn't own Princess. Carnival Corporation owns both Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines. The two are separated brands owned by the same corporation - which also owns Holland America, Fathom, Cunard, P&O (both UK and Australia), Seabourn, Costa, and AIDA. What is available on one of these lines has absolutely nothing to do with what is available on the others.

Thanks for doing a Live. Will be following along.

Sungirl-Fungirl, I’m right here with you, enjoying all your adventures. I need your live from to get me through until we leave in October. Thanks for posting!!

Happy anniversary...err, LoveFest 31 (I may have to steal that)! I can’t imagine a world without you and PC. The dynamic duo!

I was on a cruise with Ray Cousins. Never went to Crooners but he did do a show in the Vista Lounge of Frank Sinatra songs. He used to play piano a lot for Frank and had lots of stories to tell. If he does this... it is a can't miss show (assuming you like Frank Sinatra songs).

Have been following your Adventures in Ireland on FB - so glad you're doing a Live From! Thanks to you and to all who do so, taking valuable time out of your cruises to share the adventures with those of us [temporarily] on dry land!

Janet

PS Hugs to Matt O'Brien & Ron Goodman!

Paige!!!! I am still stalking you. This is Jamie, aka Spingal, from Facebook.

I love reading about all of your adventures! Lord Windermere, aka Prince Charming is a cutie and it looks like you are both having a great time. Your FB videos are a hoot! I can’t wait for your next FB and CC posts. I am living vicariously through you.

I am serious that someday we have to cruise. I am recently retired and LOVE to travel.

Day 3 - Cobh/Cork

Today was almost a rainout. Of course the locals said there had been no rain all summer and it decided to debut today. We were prepared - rain jackets, ponchos, umbrella, boots, etc.

I had originally booked a train/coach tour to Blarney Castle and Cork thru Viator. PC and I decided we were enjoying NOT being on a schedule, I canceled. Good move because the weather would have been tedious at Blarney Castle.

We were off the ship around 11am. We assessed our options - hire a driver for the day for €100 and go to Cork, or stay in the small port of Cobh (pronounced Cove) and look around. We stumbled on the Cobh Tour Bus outside the cruise terminal. It’s an approx 90 min ride around the island with a guide and driver. It seemed perfect for a lazy rainy day. We bought tickets for the 2pm departure. €15/pp. We went to the Titanic Restaurant for lunch and walked around the town square while we waited for the tour. I have been on a fish and chips binge. I love ‘em! The weather was so dreary it was tempting to go back to the ship and sleep. I was very glad I had my Hunter low rain boots. They are heavy to carry over the pond, but so necessary today. My mesh type sneakers were going to get soaked. PC has ASICS goretex sneakers and he stays dry. Our tour was good. We made several photo stops, but nothing looked too pretty in the rain. St. Colman’s Cathedral was the highlight. A beautiful cathedral made of granite and limestone with gorgeous stained glass windows. I would have been bored on a nice day in Cobh. Not much to see except the Titanic Museum. Cobh was the last port for the Titanic before it sank. I talked to several people who went to Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone. I heard waits of up to 2 hours to kiss the stone. If this is something you want to do, you better book something independent because I don’t think the organized tours figure in 2 hours to wait in line to kiss the stone. PC is a germaphobe and he would go no where near that stone!

I bought an Ireland Eye sweater at Blarney Woollen Mills in Bunratty on our precruise adventure. I wore three days and it is unraveling. I want to exchange it and I am hoping Dublin will have a store. I should have gone to the Cork store.

We were back on the ship around 4pm. Nap or Laundry? I decided to do the laundry. Yes, I get free laundry with my elite status, but I prefer to do my own. I am particular about detergent and line drying, etc. I don’t want my colors washed in hot! I beat the rush to the laundry. We had 4 loads. It seemed like it took forever.

We went down to the elite lounge for a quick drink before we headed to Mecca. The dining room menus have not appealed to me yet. I am waiting for the chicken pot pie to show up. It’s so good. I am kind of over the food already. We have been eating lunch on shore, so not overly hungry in the evening.

The production show tonight was Encore, an opera themed song/dance show with a featured soprano. It’s good. You have to get to the early show at least 30 minutes ahead to get a choice seat. The theater fills up quickly. PC is crushing on the drummer in the orchestra. The novelty of a female drummer has sparked his interest. He loves drums and guitars.

The party band hosted the Celtic Festival themed party in the atrium. Fun Celtic music and dancing. We munched on sweets from the International Cafe. I finally found the peanut butter cookies. They haven’t had any in the HC.

I wanted to evaluate Ray, the piano entertainer, but I crashed after one song. He sounds a bit like Tony Bennett. I will revisit this later!

I need to get to the shops!

We crawled to the cabin. I was a little spooked by the low visibility. I hope the sonar works! It’s a good thing I went to Las Vegas last week because my Vitamin D levels would really be suffering. I am glad to see so many familiar peeps on this thread. Night night, see you in Dublin.