Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? why wont they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL?

turbot72lou1

I suspect that is their break even point for making a profit on the drink package and after that they lose money. They sell the Cheers package to make money, not to save the passenger money. If they didn't make money selling the packages they wouldn't sell them.

If the drinkers break even point with cheers is 6 or 7 drinks a day, Carnivals break even point is even lower than that or there would be no program. Why is it structured the way it is? Well, it seems to be the responsible way to do it for both the cruise line and the guests. If someone thinks they need more than 15 drinks a day, then don't buy the cheers program. That way you can have as many drinks as you want until you fall down and take a nap or you get cut off for falling down and taking a nap. If you do not like the rules of the program, don't buy it.

There's different economics to each offering. Carnival gives you higher quality drinks. I have not been on NCL, but from what I hear, it is lower shelf stuff, and you get a lower price limit.

I sailed NCL in 2017 with the drink package as a perk and loved it, even though we only drink about 3 drinks each per day. It would have been nice to have it include specialty coffees and bottled water, but it did not. The drinks were good. The 2nd time I cruised NCL was in January 2018, and I noticed a BIG difference in the drinks. They were weaker, and the bartenders took less care crafting a perfect cocktail. Not only that, because nearly everyone had the package, they no longer had roaming waiters. You had to que up in a roped off line to get a drink. Not a very pleasant experience. But we loved the Freestyle Cruising concept, so we decided to return to Carnival after some great reviews and try YTD. I am on the Breeze in 2019 and Magic 2020, with no drink package.

Exactly! My reaction to his comment was [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]. Although I rarely drink more than 3 drinks a day when on a cruise, I know there are many people out there that drink more than me and the Cheers program is worth it, but 15 drinks not enough??? That’s mind boggling! I happen to like to remember my cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Averaged 12 drinks a day in May with no problem remembering things the next day.

Hit 15 one day! Everyone's metabolism is different, some can adjust/adapt better than others.

Like most, vacations are different than everyday life.

Some people go nuts in all you can eat buffets, but they don't risk doing harm to anyone but themselves. It's not quite the same when it's all you can drink. Some people will think it's OK to drink until they can't drink anymore(passed out).

I used to go out on paydays with the people I worked with a long time ago. I stopped doing that when I noticed that one of my co-workers would start looking to get into a fight when they got drunk. Yes, there are people like that. I was the opposite. I was a happy drunk, and other people would enjoy being around me when I obliged them. I think I still am, but I also learned the price I paid for it the next day or later that day wasn't worth it. But that's another story.

Do you want to be on a cruise when they run out of room in the brig, because too many people get out of hand? I am not a teetotaler, but Everything should be in moderation. Does the OP know what his personality is or becomes after 20 drinks in one day? Too bad there isn't some sort of certification for people who can handle it to the extreme. Maybe then Carnival could oblige them. The OP may well be able to handle that many drinks. Can he be sure everyone else can? Does even he want to be on a ship with a bunch of people that want to find out if they can handle it, by trying?

Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? Why won't they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL? they think 15 drinks over a 24 hour period is enough? not even close and they wont let you buy drinks after you hit 15.

Right or wrong, Carnival is forever battling an image problem. This is but one of the steps they take to help in that battle.

Besides the cost factor for CCL, they have been around a long time and early on had the reputation of a partying venue. Every business, which CCL is, looks at all aspects of their product to maximize growth. One element of that is repeat business. CCL has more than one cruise line, such as HAL, Princess, P&O, and more. It is not hard to analyze the percentage of returning guests and compare them to the other lines. Why do you think they have the VIFP program? It's not just to offer the guest something for their loyalty. It is a great way to track the amount of return visitors. I am sure the the rate of return guests grew higher as they made efforts to get away from the image they had when they were known as a wild party vacation. There are a lot of factors that the bean counters can look at to maximize their profits, and having happy return customers is one of them.

Carnival cruise Line Cheers program? Why won't they make it unlimited like RCCL, NCL? they think 15 drinks over a 24 hour period is enough? not even close and they wont let you buy drinks after you hit 15.

Hi

Why don't you look at it in a different way..."Why don't RCCL and NCL limit the drinks for their beverage program?" You do understand, different companies do things differently for many reasons.

My response to your question is. They don't need to. If this is a deal breaker for you, then you just have one less cruise line to pick from. I don't see that as a big deal, you do have enough other choices.

hope this helps

May I ask how many drinks you feel is reasonable in a 24 hour period? Also, consider prices including gratuity. On NCL it's $106 per day. Carnival's price is $59.74/day (or $65.49 onboard price). I'd say price has A LOT to do with the limit/no limit.

NCL

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older)

Starting from $89.00 USDper person per day

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $89.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 20% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Carnival

CHEERS!

$51.95/DAY

15% gratuity will be added to cart.

NCL includes unlimited drink package in perks offered and all you pay upfront is gratuity. On our Trans-atlantic cruise in april, our total cost for 2 of us for a 15 day cruise was just a few $$ over $400. That included unlimited drinks and 4 specialty restaurants. there was no additional charge once on board. It broke down to roughly $12 a day per person!

Pat